Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water bowls for mature pixie frogs are optional!

SCF

Default Re: Water bowls for mature pixie frogs are optional!

It's too bad I've been away to see this thread. I can't add anything that has not already been said by everyone participating in it. I'll at least throw out the word "interesting"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    It's too bad I've been away to see this thread. I can't add anything that has not already been said by everyone participating in it. I'll at least throw out the word "interesting"
    I am finding out, from ones who live in the areas these frogs acually live, that i am doing this perfectly. I am giving my frog exactly what they like in the wild. so yes this is getting very interesting.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Mr. Pickles still LOVES not having that nasty water container in his set-up. getting rid of any and all standing water in his set-up has been the best decision i have made for him. He is so colorful now!!!

Cap10Squirty

What if you could offer your frog clean water? If not by changing it several times daily, have it filtered and circulated?

6. This member thanks Cap10Squirty for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    What if you could offer your frog clean water? If not by changing it several times daily, have it filtered and circulated?
    why? in the wild these frogs rarely ever go in open water other than during the rainy season fro breeding and rearing of young. they love to sit in mud and mine is the most colorful frog i have ever seen. why would i want to mess with changing water all the time or messing with a filter when they dont need it?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Mine has been in the water for over 24 hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cap10Squirty

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    why? in the wild these frogs rarely ever go in open water other than during the rainy season fro breeding and rearing of young. they love to sit in mud and mine is the most colorful frog i have ever seen. why would i want to mess with changing water all the time or messing with a filter when they dont need it?
    No frog owner has to offer their frog anything.....I choose to offer mine a water source to soak in and it spends most of its time sitting in it. If your frog is happy then great, mine seems to enjoy its water source but then again I don't speak African bullfrog and therefore cannot interpret it's nightly croaking :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    Mine has been in the water for over 24 hours.
    My frog has been in it's water for the better part of a week. Of course I change the water out twice a day as a result. I like the soaking dish Jack, is that an exo terra corner dish?

10. This member thanks Cap10Squirty for this post:

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

It's a Zoo Med XL corner bowl.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Just read this whole thread, and although very interesting, my guy spends the majority of his time in his giant water dish, and that is with his soil kept moist. Since you're keen in trying new things (cooked foods for frogs), put a water dish in there for a little, see if he uses it at all! If hes anything like ours im betting he will enjoy a nice soak once in awhile. My guy is also much more agressive in the water, and enjoyes submerging himself completely, of leaving only his eyes and nostrils above the water thinking hes being stealthy!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Matt here's an idea. Put a water bowl in the frogs enclosure for a week or two and see if he ever goes in it. If he does then you keep it in because your frog clearly likes it. It would only take up five minutes a day to clean and replace water or is that to much of a hardship for you to bare?

14. This member thanks Truffs1178 for this post:

Cap10Squirty

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Just read this whole thread, and although very interesting, my guy spends the majority of his time in his giant water dish, and that is with his soil kept moist. Since you're keen in trying new things (cooked foods for frogs), put a water dish in there for a little, see if he uses it at all! If hes anything like ours im betting he will enjoy a nice soak once in awhile. My guy is also much more agressive in the water, and enjoyes submerging himself completely, of leaving only his eyes and nostrils above the water thinking hes being stealthy!
    That is exactly what my frog does! They think just because they are in the water they are invisible haha

I agree on giving the water dish a try, but I think Matt has already done so and is of a different mindset towards using them.

NialR35

Matt here's an idea. Put a water bowl in the frogs enclosure for a week or two and see if he ever goes in it. If he does then you keep it in because your frog clearly likes it. It would only take up five minutes a day to clean and replace water or is that to much of a hardship for you to bare?
    Apparently rinsing a water bowl on a daily basis is hard.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Oh yes, I go to great lengths and push my body to the limits in order to provide my frog with clean water.

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    Mr. Pickles still LOVES not having that nasty water container in his set-up. getting rid of any and all standing water in his set-up has been the best decision i have made for him. He is so colorful now!!!
    I don't understand what makes the water nasty? Do you let it get soiled and rot so bad that it becomes a swamp? By not providing a water bowl for your frog to soak and regulate his temperature is as awkward as owning a bird and put it in a cage without a perch.

Are you implying that your frog is more "colorful" now (even though all pixies are the same color when fully grown) since you removed all types of water from his set up? I did not understand that colorful sentence with all those exclamation marks.

NialR35

Oh yes, I go to great lengths and push my body to the limits in order to provide my frog with clean water.
    Flexing is hard bro

Cap10Squirty

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    I don't understand what makes the water nasty? Do you let it get soiled and rot so bad that it becomes a swamp? By not providing a water bowl for your frog to soak and regulate his temperature is as awkward as owning a bird and put it in a cage without a perch.

Are you implying that your frog is more "colorful" now (even though all pixies are the same color when fully grown) since you removed all types of water from his set up? I did not understand that colorful sentence with all those exclamation marks.
    I think we all would be interested in seeing photos, as sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Not all pixies are the same colour as adults. My frog is a light green whereas some are a darker green. The overall health of the frog and it's living quarters can also determine its colour but that's usually a more dramatic change.

NialR35

Yea but the color is still green. There are different shades of pyxies but for the most part, they are all almost the same color. Like you said, living conditions do affect this though.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I have seen some YouTube videos of matts frog and I have to say it's very large and appears healthy on the outside. This may not reflect what's going on inside the frog though.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have seen some YouTube videos of matts frog and I have to say it's very large and appears healthy on the outside. This may not reflect what's going on inside the frog though.
    Oh He is healthy all right!! and hungry all the time! He is the most colorful pixie i have ever seen. I primarily feed him fish now. even though there is a pesky bat that keeps getting in my attic so a bat might be soon on the dinner list for Mr. Pickles! (:
    Thanks Jack for your positive observations and sharing that with those who just want to argue with me about my ways but have no interest in trying these proven new methods.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information