Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water bowls for mature pixie frogs are optional!

NialR35

Default Re: Water bowls for mature pixie frogs are optional!

Not only bleach is already bad, but it's so diluted in your method that it totally removes its efficiency. You would be better off spraying WIPE OUT 1 all over the glass to make sure it gets disinfected and sanitized without harming your frog and without any worries.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    thank you for taking me seriously Danfrog, i would be happy to answer those questions.
    1. 18" x 18" x24" high
    2. 1
    3. right now 59% but that varies as the substrate evaporates and drys out
    4.lights on 82-85 degrees lights off 73-75 degrees
    5. declorinated water
    6. coco fiber (stuff that comes as a dry brick)
    7. 2 fake plants, and i always sanitize them with diluted bleach 1/100 parts, then rinse until they dont smell of any bleach
    8. Fish (i think they might be bluegills, i get them at the market)
    9. "repashy supervite" but i only use it when i feed him crickets once every couple months
    10. 2) 20 watt haligen puck lights for light and heat
    11. i have a rainforest tiny undertank heater that is on a dimmer, the laser heat gun shows it is always at 76 degrees. it is under the very center of the bottom and is maybe 5" x 5" (he rarely ever sits over it) and the haligens lights
    12. He now eats every 3-4 days
    13. he poops almost every feeding, but sometimes every other, within a few minutes after he ate
    14. i dont know how to add a pick to this response page but you can check him out on youtube. i just did a video last week of him. its under "african bullfrog pixie eats bird and clean his cage"
    15. i thought he was 10 months old but my wife reminded me we got him before our 3rd kid was born so he is 1year and a few months old. (time flies)
    16. size of a quarter
    17. i dont know
    18. rats, mice, crickets, those big green caterpillar looking things, superworms, earthworms, snakes, birds .
    19. every 3-4 days, i feed him in a different container
    20. medium traffic
    21. about every 2-3 weeks during a feeding, i take all his old bedding out. wipe down the inside with a wet rag that has 1/100 parts bleach to water on it. (which is very diluted and you can hardly smell the bleach even then) so any living mold or parasite dies. them i rinse every thing down with water, drain the tank and wipe with a totally clean rag (no chemicals) rinse everything down again. then i drain it and dump in new bedding. this part you can see on that youtube video. it is simple and easy. now only time will tell if i am an idiot or a genius. i have been doing this routine for well over six months now and he has beautiful deep colors.

thank you danfrog for showing an interest in a possible "other way" of frog care
    You MUST start dusting supplements since apparently you only do it when you feed crickets every couple of months; that is horrible. You should also change your frog's staple diet because fish is not going to do it. Captive bred frogs should be fed insects as the main staple source with other small vertebrates as a monthly treat only. Like I mentioned before, an AGBF can live up to 15-20 years in captivity with proper care therefore if you want your frog to live this long and reduce the possibilities of your frog getting diseases, syndromes, deformities then you must start dusting Ca+D3 at least twice per week and a multi-vitamin once per week.

Also humidity at 59% is very low to what an ideal range would be; it should remain at a constant 75-80% all the time. Humidity is also a factor in the frog's stress level and helps its digestive system as well.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

bleach at 1/100 still kills. Doctors will tell you that if you have a well balanced diet you really have no need for any suppliments. Suppliments are never the real thing. fish bones are a great form of calcium. Fish oils are a great digestive track lube. fish liver has tons of multivitimins. so how is fish a bad thing? fish are one of the main staples of water frogs. thats just common sense and fact. But "wipe out" is a good idea and i will try it. thank you for helping me with that.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

bleach at 1/100 still kills. Doctors will tell you that if you have a well balanced diet you really have no need for any suppliments. Suppliments are never the real thing. fish bones are a great form of calcium. Fish oils are a great digestive track lube. fish liver has tons of multivitimins. so how is fish a bad thing? fish are one of the main staples of water frogs. thats just common sense and fact. But "wipe out" is a good idea and i will try it. thank you for helping me with that.
    Some fish can cause a Vitamin B1 deficirncy if fed too often. Mainly those that contain thiaminase.

Also many fish contain lots kf heavy metals. Especially mercury.

They are not a good staple food, but do make a good treat.

6. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Some fish can cause a Vitamin B1 deficirncy if fed too often. Mainly those that contain thiaminase.

Also many fish contain lots kf heavy metals. Especially mercury.

They are not a good staple food, but do make a good treat.
    "Some" fish is the key word, but you just stepped out Grif and i am glad to see that. Fish are a fantastic feeder. I would much rather feed fish than worms as a staple, for sure! I really cant say it is even a staple because i feed so many different thing all the time. but fish is the go to if i have nothing else. i always keep fish in the freezer as fail safe.
    Grif wouldnt you agree with the fact that the majority of Rat breeding facilities are problably the nastist places to be on earth? they have hundreds of breeder rats in bins that get the cheapest dog food to eat everyday for the rest of those rats misrable lives. they never get bathed or vet checked. if one dies, it gets thrown in the freezer for the next trip to fill pet store freezers. they have no names, they have no freedom, they are just a dollar amount attached to their size. Cricket farms are no different.
    The only thing that is different though is worm farms. the dirt they live in has bacteria colonies in it that destroys most diseases rapidly which makes worms of any kind the safest critter for feeding. But worms are nothing more than mere skin and juices. there is no real liver or bones or measureable heart, or mineral filled brain to eat as a mammal has. so to solely feed worms as a staple would be deficient to you frog.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I would much rather feed fish than worms as a staple, for sure!
    Are you being serious or just messin?

"
    Grif wouldnt you agree with the fact that the majority of Rat breeding facilities are problably the nastist places to be on earth? they have hundreds of breeder rats in bins that get the cheapest dog food to eat everyday for the rest of those rats misrable lives. .
    I don't know what rat breeders are like over in Michigan but not all are like that.

so to solely feed worms as a staple would be deficient to you frog.
    Are you for real?

Matt you may be interested in this video. They care about their rats as he says in the video so they have space. Just 3 females and 1 male per tub.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yyTerL3nCHQ&feature=relmfu

In one of his other videos he also states that they clean their rats every five days.

Cap10Squirty

Did you ever state what fish you are using as a food source? Sorry if I missed it, it's hard reading on my iPhone at the moment.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    Are you being serious or just messin?

I don't know what rat breeders are like over in Michigan but not all are like that.

Are you for real?

Matt you may be interested in this video. They care about their rats as he says in the video so they have space. Just 3 females and 1 male per tub.

Southern Rodent Supply Facilty - YouTube

In one of his other videos he also states that they clean their rats every five days.
    Yes i am for real. Almost all rat breeders have 1 to 3-4 ratio. And yes they clean them out or the rats would be swimming in urine. Have you ever had 4-5 large rats in one tub before and then wait 5 days to clean it? NASTY!!! now multiply that by 20 to 30. and add in no regulations from the government. You have no idea how nasty and easily disease ridden things can become. Like i said this knowledge i am giving is first hand. have you ever walked threw the facility were your feeder rats come from? I have!!!

The vast majority is like this, i am talking for every 1 nicely ran facility there are 20 others with big problems. stop kidding yourselves.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
    Did you ever state what fish you are using as a food source? Sorry if I missed it, it's hard reading on my iPhone at the moment.
    Hey Garret, i dont think i did. but i use any fish that will fit in Mr. Pickles huge mouth. Silversides, gobies, eels, most anything.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

stop kidding yourselves.

Stop kidding yourselves? You know matt I'm getting really annoyed with your pointless, arrogant posts. If wild swallows are so safe then why don't you eat them? Why won't you just accept that people are disagreeing with you and that there are better food sources than wild caught animals. For starters mammals, fish and birds are no where near as good feeders as insects such as cockroaches and your statement about if earthworms are your frogs staple then you are depriving them of nutrients is plain stupid. There are more parasites, diseases and bacteria in wild caught foods, just realise that! You are always saying that it will boost your frogs immunity and the stomach will destroy all pathogens or parasites that enter but not all can be destroyed especially eggs of such parasites. Can you please give up trying to persuade everyone into getting their pets wild caught food, taking away their water bowls and getting our frogs ill or even killed. Grow up, face the truth and stop wasting everyone's time.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Stop kidding yourselves? You know matt I'm getting really annoyed with your pointless, arrogant posts. If wild swallows are so safe then why don't you eat them? Why won't you just accept that people are disagreeing with you and that there are better food sources than wild caught animals. For starters mammals, fish and birds are no where near as good feeders as insects such as cockroaches and your statement about if earthworms are your frogs staple then you are depriving them of nutrients is plain stupid. There are more parasites, diseases and bacteria in wild caught foods, just realise that! You are always saying that it will boost your frogs immunity and the stomach will destroy all pathogens or parasites that enter but not all can be destroyed especially eggs of such parasites. Can you please give up trying to persuade everyone into getting their pets wild caught food, taking away their water bowls and getting our frogs ill or even killed. Grow up, face the truth and stop wasting everyone's time.
    Jack i am suprised at this last response. These important facts are not pointless. I am opening alot of peoples eyes to a broader, healthier diet plan for their prized pets. I cant eat a sparrow raw because i have an immune system different than Pixies. sparrows actually live in africa so pixies already eat those every chance they can get even today. time will tell if my frog out lives those other frogs with a staple diet of insects and worms. I believe that they should start feeding more naturally vitamin efficiant animals that possess bones and larger brains and bigger livers for the frogs better health to pull from. My frog is not ill at all as you say it should be or definitely will become. I have been doing this for over 6 months before i even opened my mouth about how great it is. I have a blast finding weird food for Mr. Pickles to eat. He eats what ever i give soooo fast that it shocks people who watch. I am speaking about something that WORKS. It works so well that i am not going to back down, and just because people want to hide behind fear and lash out at me doesnt mean i am wrong or a waist of time.

I dont have a water bowl and i have added healthy wild animals to my Frogs diet and he is FANTASTIC. Not just for now but he is going to rock for many years to come. common sense tells me so.

Nationality
    [United States]

It's time everyone takes a deep breath and relax. It's clear no one here will convince Matt to change his ways or vice versa. So let each other be and end this debate with a friendly digital hand shake.

If you don't like what Matt does or preaches and already said your 2 cents; leave the thread and suddenly you won't get annoyed by it.

Also, expect everyone in this discussion does not suddenly drag it into and derail other threads in forum. The subject has been beaten to death here already and it's time to move on and be nice to each other and our frogs. Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

15. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

"Some" fish is the key word, but you just stepped out Grif and i am glad to see that. Fish are a fantastic feeder. I would much rather feed fish than worms as a staple, for sure! I really cant say it is even a staple because i feed so many different thing all the time. but fish is the go to if i have nothing else. i always keep fish in the freezer as fail safe.
    Grif wouldnt you agree with the fact that the majority of Rat breeding facilities are problably the nastist places to be on earth? they have hundreds of breeder rats in bins that get the cheapest dog food to eat everyday for the rest of those rats misrable lives. they never get bathed or vet checked. if one dies, it gets thrown in the freezer for the next trip to fill pet store freezers. they have no names, they have no freedom, they are just a dollar amount attached to their size. Cricket farms are no different.
    The only thing that is different though is worm farms. the dirt they live in has bacteria colonies in it that destroys most diseases rapidly which makes worms of any kind the safest critter for feeding. But worms are nothing more than mere skin and juices. there is no real liver or bones or measureable heart, or mineral filled brain to eat as a mammal has. so to solely feed worms as a staple would be deficient to you frog.
    Fish from a clean source are fine, but only certain fish.

Earthworms are the most nutritious food for your frog. They contain a good amount of protein and are high in calcium. My GABF is fed. Night Crawlers as a staple and he hit 6.25" in 4 months. I think you don't fully know what you're talking about. He has never once had a fish.

Carlos is right though and I honestly feel that there is nothing more to add since you are obviously hard set of this endeavor.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; September 10th, 2013 at 03:01 PM.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Fish from a clean source are fine, but only certain fish.

Earthworms are the most nutritious food for your frog. They contain a good amount of protein and are high in calcium. My GABF is fed. Night Crawlers as a staple and he hit 6.25" in 4 months. I think you don't fully know what you're talking about. He has never once had a fish.

Corlos is right though and I honestly feel that there is nothing more to add since you are obviously hard set of this endeavor.
    Jack,
    what certain fish do you consider to be a safer bet?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Jack i am suprised at this last response.
    Yeah sorry Matt I kind of lost it there. I was just annoyed when you said that worms weren't a good staple. I have never used fish for any of my frogs. I think cooking them would kill parasites and diseases. I don't know if they can eat cooked foods though. Anyone has any input on that?

Nationality
    [United States]

Jack,
    what certain fish do you consider to be a safer bet?
    Silversides are fine. You can also use Guppies, Mollies, and Minnows.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah sorry Matt I kind of lost it there. I was just annoyed when you said that worms weren't a good staple. I have never used fish for any of my frogs. I think cooking them would kill parasites and diseases. I don't know if they can eat cooked foods though. Anyone has any input on that?
    Its okay Jack but you raise a FANTASTIC question. Can a frog eat cooked food? the answer is YES. it will not be as vitimin packed as alot will be cooked out. but scientist have actually done research of snakes eating raw vs cooked and found it took alot let energy for the snake to eat cooked than raw. Jack you just gave me a GREAT idea!!! i am going to cook all my frogs food that is not insect or worm related. That way, you all are happy with me not giving my frog parasites and i am happy finding cool stuff to feed him other than the boring normal stuff! JACK YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!! (:

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Its okay Jack but you raise a FANTASTIC question. Can a frog eat cooked food? the answer is YES. it will not be as vitimin packed as alot will be cooked out. but scientist have actually done research of snakes eating raw vs cooked and found it took alot let energy for the snake to eat cooked than raw. Jack you just gave me a GREAT idea!!! i am going to cook all my frogs food that is not insect or worm related. That way, you all are happy with me not giving my frog parasites and i am happy finding cool stuff to feed him other than the boring normal stuff! JACK YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!! (:
    I have no problem with you feeding them cooked food because it will kill any parasites.

Eel Noob

Wow am i going to get flac for this statement but its totally true! If you have a MATURE African Bullfrog there is a way for you to get rid of that nasty water bowl once and for all. Pixie frogs, in the wild, like to mainly sit in muck and very shallow puddles. they like being in very moist places where they can absorb water into there bodies in prep for a drought. But you can duplicate this without the need of a water bowl very easily.
    -First remove your water bowl and put it on craiglist for $2.00 (someone may want it) you sure will not need it anymore!
    -Using cocofiber (the stuff that comes as a dry brick) put about an 1.5 inches depth in its cleaned main cage.
    -Make sure that it is very "muddy" with declorinated water.
    -When ever you feed your pixie put it in a differrent container.
    -He will eat and then after a couple minutes will deficate all the old water out of its body and more than likely go #2 in this container and not in his home anymore. this also gives you a clear inspection of the defication to make sure there is no parasites or problems with the frog.
    -Clean out this container and fill it back up with about an inch of declorinated water that is ruffly 70 - 75 degrees.
    -Put the frog back in that freshly cleaned container and let your pixie chill in it for 30min - 2 hours (your decision)
    -During this time he will absorb fresh water into itself
    -After soak time is done put him back in his cage.
    No more scooping any more #2s out of his main cage. No more cleaning water bowls everyday. If you have children like me you will love this new routine. I have been doing this for over 6 months and My frog is beautiful and healthy and so will yours!

Some of you who love cleaning water bowls almost everyday and having stinky cages, keep doing what you are doing this is not for you, But if your sick of doing those things this above info is for you and is tried and true and will work for all MATURE Pixies. Enjoy!

As everyone already pointed out very muddy substrate is not a good idea.

-He will eat and then after a couple minutes will deficate all the old water out of its body and more than likely go #2 in this container and not in his home anymore. this also gives you a clear inspection of the defication to make sure there is no parasites or problems with the frog.

Lucky you that your frog will go to the bathroom every time outside of water but most of our frogs will go months on end if they don't have water to go into to relieve themselves. Wouldn't you need a microscope to see if there parasites?

-Put the frog back in that freshly cleaned container and let your pixie chill in it for 30min - 2 hours (your decision)

Too time consuming for me lol.

-I have been doing this for over 6 months and My frog is beautiful and healthy and so will yours!

How old is your frog?

-But if your sick of doing those things this above info is for you and is tried and true and will work for all MATURE Pixies.

How long have you been keep these frogs and how long have you been using this method?

BTW I personally like to give my frogs the option of going in and out their waterdish at their own choosing, either it's to just rehydrate or relieve themselves. More power to you if this works for you, everyone has their own way of doing things.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post

As everyone already pointed out very muddy substrate is not a good idea.

Lucky you that your frog will go to the bathroom every time outside of water but most of our frogs will go months on end if they don't have water to go into to relieve themselves. Wouldn't you need a microscope to see if there parasites?

Too time consuming for me lol.

-I have been doing this for over 6 months and My frog is beautiful and healthy and so will yours!

How old is your frog?

-But if your sick of doing those things this above info is for you and is tried and true and will work for all MATURE Pixies.

How long have you been keep these frogs and how long have you been using this method?

BTW I personally like to give my frogs the option of going in and out their waterdish at their own choosing, either it's to just rehydrate or relieve themselves. More power to you if this works for you, everyone has their own way of doing things.
    Eel,

Very muddy does not mean puddly. there is no visible water, just very very moist. I have never had a stinky cage when done like this.

if you watch my youtube video "African bullfrog eats bird and clean cage" I show how i do this. i do add a little water to the cage after he eats. But he almost always goes #2 and they are HUGE.

I let him chill in that container. its not time consuming. I go do what ever and when ever i think about it i put him back in his cage. Usually he starts getting anxious to get out after he sheds. he seems to like to do all his shedding while in the water, once he is done, he wants out of the water and continuosly walks back and forth and wont sit still. If you read the thread "has anyone successfully breed pixies" Buck Rogers, who lives in Africa, tell us that these frogs are almost never in the water. they like mucky substrate much better. So that is what i immitate.

My frog is a little over a year old but i have been doing this for the last 6 months or so. I mostly did horned frogs before this pixie. I didnt know that pixies, when they are babies, need to eat every other day. horned frogs are not like that. But I was sick of constantly cleaning his water bowl everyday. turns out he doesnt even need it if you follow my instructions. changing a water bowl everyday is very time consuming to me. i only go in his cage once every 4 days or so to get him out for feeding. His cage never smells. its very easy now.

What ever way you are doing it and like to do it is cool!!! I prefer this way.

Thanks for the interest,
    Dr. Matt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information