Thread: Returning to pacman frogs, checklist to be prepared

lovenokia

Default Returning to pacman frogs, checklist to be prepared

I am picking up a pacman tomorrow, and was preparing today, preparing my coconut fiber husk, but one batch smelled terrible like chemical though, and got rid of it. I did another batch but this time I really washed the bucket thoroughly, and used the double filtered ro water. Second time the coconut fiber smelled normal. Anyways, I will be using a 10 gallon tank, have coconut fiber and a water dish for enclosure. For my nutrients, I have calcium and herptivite, but I am not sure of adult feeding schedule? How many times do you need to dust for an adult pacman? If you feed only twice a week? You dust once a week? The main diet is nightcrawlers so there won't be any impaction hopefully. For lighting I have a dimmer light one infrared 50 watt and daytime 50 watt light. Is the infrared needed at night, or just in the winter?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Returning to pacman frogs, checklist to be prepared

Hello and welcome to FF! First thing to do is learn about their care and this will help: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding . A few comments based on your words.

Substrate should be shredded coco (Plantation Soil or Eco Earth); not the chips. It should be mixed with dechlorinated tap water (not distilled or R/O) and same goes for frog bath. When mixed should be slightly damp so it starts to clump in closed fist without dripping water out. A ten gallon tank is OK if frog is bigger than 3 in. from snout to vent (SVL); if smaller will need a smaller enclosure like a plastic keeper, until big enough.

If full grown and feeding couple times a week; dust one of those with CA (one worm is enough) and every couple weeks dust one with vitamins.

Pacmans do not need light; you use it to heat enclosure when required or to observe them. Do get a thermometer; you want daily temps between 82-84F with slight drop at night. Also get hygrometer, you want humidity around 80% (not below 70% or above 90%). Infrared bulbs are used day or night to provide heat. Also, if "albino" can only use red or black "moonlights" due to their sensitive skin, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Can't use filtered water! Filters do not remove the chlorine and heavy metals. Buy some water treatment. You need to throw away that substrate and make some more with treated tap water.

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Can't use filtered water! Filters do not remove the chlorine and heavy metals. Buy some water treatment. You need to throw away that substrate and make some more with treated tap water.
    Arghh! Alright I will go and buy more Eco earth I bought those things that expand, but looks like I need to buy some more again.
    Thanks guys

mpmackenna

Post the answers to these... even though you are not having trouble at this point the questions will get you thinking and it is a quick way for people to look over your setup.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by Michael MacKenna View Post
    Post the answers to these... even though you are not having trouble at this point the questions will get you thinking and it is a quick way for people to look over your setup.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    1. Size of enclosure 10 gallon or a plastic cage depending on frog
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences 1
    3. Humidity have a humidifier should be at 80%
    4. Temperature 85-90
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish conditioned water
    6. Materials used for substrate Eco earth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. Semi circle tree to hide under
    [I]- How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. Water bowl and tree bark semi circle
    8. Main food source nightcrawlers
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) not sure sends if frog will be under 3"
    10. Lighting 50 w/dimmer
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure lamp
    15. How old is the frog

Hypnotic

Temps are too high, aim more for 82-83, use calcium mon-wed-and friday and vitamins saturday, offer food to babies daily. Rest of the enclosure seems fine so far.

lovenokia

I have a problem with the eco earth. I got a bucket of water put the water conditioner in it, then dropped 5 drops, but after the eco earth expanded it has this strange smell. I used 4 eco earth expandable things from previous mistakes of uncondiontioned water. I bought new water conditioner too, but anyways I hope the fishy smell is normal.

Hypnotic

Fishy smell? Do you mean jungle smell? What conditioner are you using specifically?

lovenokia

I used aqua safe, but a bad smell basically. I am still waiting on the frog, but kinda chemical smell.

Hypnotic

Did you use the correct dosage in correlation with the water? Smell the aquasafe, is it that smell? I don't think your supposed to smell water conditioner that badly, unless your using too much of it. Not sure if they have expiration dates, but mine just ran out and I need to get a new one today, so I can't check. Double check that if it has an expiration date, it's still good to use.

Edit: if you want my personal advice, dump the aquasafe.I've looked it up and it seems aquasafe is mainly for fish. I personally use reptisafe :

Zoo Med ReptiSafe Instant Terrarium Water Conditioners conditions your pet's water to be suitable for all types of snakes, lizards, turtles, tortoises, amphibians, hermit crabs, and arachnids. It safely removes chloramines, chlorine, and ammonia, detoxifies nitrites, and provides essential ions and electrolytes while helping to hydrate new animals without the use of harsh chemicals. This water conditioner stimulates slime coat development providing a natural protective barrier for all types of amphibians (frogs, toads, salamanders, newts, etc.) and reduces pH. ReptiSafe is the only terrarium water conditioner on the market.
    For reptile bowls, chameleon drip water systems, or aquatic turtle tanks. Unique organic colloid and organic chelating agent delivery system.

While aquasafe treats the water, it does not offer the same benefits as reptisafe. I'm not sure of how the two are compared or if there are other viable brands, but I'm sure some other people will gladly chime in.

I use. . I fill up a gallon jug and add the appropriate amount using a baby syringe.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    I have a problem with the eco earth. I got a bucket of water put the water conditioner in it, then dropped 5 drops, but after the eco earth expanded it has this strange smell. I used 4 eco earth expandable things from previous mistakes of uncondiontioned water. I bought new water conditioner too, but anyways I hope the fishy smell is normal.
    Aquasafe should be OK; myself use Seachem's Vitro Alpha which is for marine aquariums. Many dechlorinators have a strong sulfurous smell (like rotten eggs) and it will dissipate upon use. What is your conditioners dosage per gal. of water?

Although a slight overdose will not hurt; maybe 5 drops caused the smell; still it should dissipate with time. Alpha is highly concentrated and I use 1 drop per liter when mixing small batches. BTW, you do not need to throw away the EcoEarth you mixed without dechlorinator. Just let it air dry and then re-hydrate to proper dampness with recently treated water (use 2X normal dosage) and you are good to go. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

With the flukers I use .5ml treats one gallon. I put .6ml in just incase.

Thread Information