Thread: Getting My First Frogs Tomorrow! :D

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Getting My First Frogs Tomorrow! :D

Finally, the moment has come! After months of researching, preparation, constant do-overs, and perfecting, I'm finally getting my first ever frogs. My vivarium is all set up, the filter is running, and I have four crickets in there awaiting the frogs as a welcome snack. I've got more crickets ready as well. The frogs are arriving tomorrow from LLL Reptile. I'm getting three fire belly toads. I haven't been this excited since the day I went to get my first bird.

I'd just like to get a little emotional and thank everyone who has been patient with me and assisted me in preparing for tomorrow. It must have been very annoying dealing with a newbie. I'm hoping everything will go swimmingly tomorrow. If not, I'll be prepared to set up a hospital tank for anyone who's feeling under the weather.

If anyone has any little tips on introducing fire-bellies to a new vivarium or helping them get settled after stressful shipping, that'd be much appreciated. Thanks again! :')

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Getting My First Frogs Tomorrow! :D

If your vivarium is set-up a way that taking it apart and sterilizing everything (including getting rid of live plants, etc.) would be a nightmare... now is the time to set a quarantine enclosure for your frogs and keep them there for 30 days while observing for any health issues and conducting fecals on 2nd and 4th week. Then if results are negative and clear; can release frogs in your vivarium.

Even if you forego the quarantine, recommend you take those crickets out. Release frogs in their enclosure and leave alone for a day or two; then feed them gut loaded crickets that are sized same as distance between eyes. Reason is in most cases animals are going to be stressed and even if they do eat the crickets; there is possibility of a bad digestion due to shipping stress. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'll take the crickets out, then. It's a shame since those crickets were having a ton of fun in there.

Sterilizing my vivarium wouldn't be a problem at all. It's very small and I don't have any live plants. I wouldn't mind. Would I need a vet to conduct fecal tests?

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Let's get some things clear.Are you adding new frogs to a vivarium that has frogs already in it?
    If so then I would quarantine the new frogs before adding them to the vivarium.

Now if this is a new vivarium.
    Adding frogs that are being shipped from the same breeder more than likely do not need to be quarantined.

Carlos is 100% correct you would want to wait a few days after adding the new frogs to the vivarium before feeding them.
    Also I would leave the tank alone and let the frogs settle in and not disturb them.

rikkitiger

Probably a good idea.

good luck! I got my five frogs from lll reptile i can assure you they all came happy and healthy

great site to order from i have complete faith it will go great! When you get them can you think about starting a blog and posting pics and updates? Would love to see how it turns out for you.

Good luck again!

Nationality
    [United States]

Congrats on becoming a frog slave! I applaud you for doing your research first and getting everything set up before you get your frogs. I didn't do that but somehow with the help of everyone on this forum I was able to raise some healthy frogs. You are in the right place!

Don't forget to post pictures!
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone.

Louis, I did state that these are my first frogs in the original post. Maybe I was wrong, but I thought you'd be able to piece together that the vivarium is currently empty. I'll take those crickets out first thing in the morning. And I'll definitely post lots of pictures! I'll try to do it without letting the frogs know I'm there. I think they would be bothered.

I also finally got the tracking number. I'll be following them the entire shipping time.

The last thing I need to do is go out tomorrow morning and get a new piece of glass for the top. The current one is a little too short and it's fallen a couple of times when I accidentally shifted it. I'm going to get a new one that's 2/16s longer and so it covers 75% of the top instead of 50%.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

A few things about working with class just in case you don't know.If you use some medium sandpaper you can take the sharp edges off the edges of the class to make it safer to handle also you can put a bead of silicone around the edges to make it easier to handle.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'll pick some up when I go to the hardware store today.
    No frogs currently!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default They've Arrived!

The frogs are here and in their new tank. I was so nervous when I opened the container and saw them. I've never recieved an animal besides fish in the mail. We ended up staring at each other for two minutes. I scooped them out with my hands and placed them in the land part. The first one went into a cave, the second went right to the water, and the third just sat on the land. They've already got the water dirty by getting dirt in it. Good thing I have a water change scheduled for Saturday.

They seem to like the cave that's in the water. The first and the second have already climbed up on it. The third is currently hanging out in the land cave. The second seems to really want to get behind it. I'm not sure if I should let him incase he gets stuck or something.

I have to go to the hardware store again today and pick up a new piece of glass. I just got one today to cover 75% of the top but it turns out I got one that's only half as long as it needs to be. Now I've wasted my own money. Sigh.

In conclusion, they seem fine and healthy, but if I know anything from fish keeping, never judge immediately. Pictures soon! And as I was typing this, I decided I'm going to open up some space to let the frogs get behind the cave, because now two of them really want to.
    No frogs currently!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: They've Arrived!

Hey don't waste that glass.
    use it,
    just put another sheet slightly shorter lengthwise on top and slide it back and fourth to set how much of the top is open.
    so you have a adjustment of sorts.
    just use the sand paper on the edges and put the silicone on the bottom of the bottom pice
    and on the top of the top pice so you can slide the top with out the bottom moving.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I wish I could do that but the glass doesn't fit the entire length or the entire width so it can't even stay up by itself. It would be too unsafe.

UPDATE: I've named two of the frogs Duckweed and Olive. I'm naming them based on their green color. Each frog has a different shade of green. Duckweed's is very light. Olive's is very dark. No Name's is right in the middle of the other two. I haven't figured out what to call No Name yet. All I have to say about fire bellied toads for now is that they are ADORABLE. The way they do everything just makes me want to melt. I wish I could snuggle with them, especially Olive, but that wouldn't be very good. I'll have pictures up by the end of the day. I promise!
    No frogs currently!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Pictures!

Name:  9-4-2013 (2).jpg
Views: 121
Size:  88.4 KB
    Cowslip
    Name:  9-4-2013.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  85.0 KB
    Cowslip
    Name:  9-5-2013 (2).jpg
Views: 107
Size:  115.3 KB
    Olive
    Name:  9-5-2013 (3).jpg
Views: 133
Size:  85.3 KB
    Cowslip
    Name:  9-5-2013.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  79.3 KB
    Duckweed

I have a question. The frogs keep on getting dirt in their water. It just sticks to them and when they go into the water it all comes off. How can I prevent this?
    No frogs currently!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nothing to do but grin and bear it and try to keep it clean as possible with water changes.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Should I try feeding them today or should I wait until tomorrow? I need to make sure my crickets aren't too big.
    No frogs currently!

Thread Information