Thread: Pothos Plant for C. Cranwelli 10 gallon Viv.

mpmackenna

Default Pothos Plant for C. Cranwelli 10 gallon Viv.

I have a really drab 10 gallon aquarium that I am using for my C. Cranwelli frog. Temp is 80F and humidity is 80%. I hear the Golden Leaf Pothos plant makes a nice addition to the vivarium. The substrate is Eco-Earth and I mist daily. I know nothing about plants. Can I just go to the garden center and buy a Pothos plant, uproot it and put it in the Eco-Earth and expect it to live? Do I need to be concerned about what chemicals may have been in the potting soil in which it was originally grown? I did do some research on my own but so far have come up short. Also the plant is merely for aesthetics and to make the frog feel more comfortable about possibly using it for cover when burrowing and such. Will I be introducing any new issues? I read a post where someone thought a gnat issue was related to live plants. Should I be concerned with anything in regards to that, or other things of which I may be unaware?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike

I think I found my answer here... http://www.frogforum.net/plants-plan...they-safe.html

I am going to do the dip thing and then it sounds like after a week or so outside the tank the plant should be "cleansed" and ready to go. Please correct me if that doesn't sound right or if I missed something.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by mpmackenna; September 1st, 2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: new content

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pothos Plant for C. Cranwelli 10 gallon Viv.

This is what I would do, with your setup. I would buy the plant, then take a few cuttings from it (cut stems off with 3 or 4 leaves each). Then put those in a clear vase or cup or whatever, add rocks or pebbles or marbles (too big for the frog to swallow). The rocks are just to hold the plants up. Then add water. Put the vase in the tank. Pothos can grow in just water. Then there is no soil to worry about, which means no gnats.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by badkelpie View Post
    This is what I would do, with your setup. I would buy the plant, then take a few cuttings from it (cut stems off with 3 or 4 leaves each). Then put those in a clear vase or cup or whatever, add rocks or pebbles or marbles (too big for the frog to swallow). The rocks are just to hold the plants up. Then add water. Put the vase in the tank. Pothos can grow in just water. Then there is no soil to worry about, which means no gnats.
    Sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree with you completely here

After cleaning and letting grow out for a week or 2 plant it right in the viv. A vase of stone and standing water would be a bacterial breeding ground and would need to be pulled and cleaned daily. There is still eco earth or "soil" in the tank so the logic behind it doesn't really make sense.

When ever your doing substrate changes just uproot the plants, rinse, than replant in fresh substrate.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

mpmackenna

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    After cleaning and letting grow out for a week or 2 plant it right in the viv. A vase of stone and standing water would be a bacterial breeding ground and would need to be pulled and cleaned daily. There is still eco earth or "soil" in the tank so the logic behind it doesn't really make sense.
    When ever your doing substrate changes just uproot the plants, rinse, than replant in fresh substrate.
    So after I dip the plant and I am growing it out for a couple of weeks, when I replant will some Eco-Earth be good enough for soil while it is recovering from the dip? Obviously I want to keep everything as sterile as possible for those couple of weeks and still have the plant recover. The only thing I have on hand that I am sure does not contain fertilizer/pesticides is the Eco-Earth.
    Thanks!
    Mike

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah pothos is pretty hardy and it will do fine in the eco earth for a couple weeks,after its in the viv waste produced by the frog will provide some nutrients. I've used additive free potting soil to grow out as well, it's like $2 a bag at Walmart, then just rinse it well before planting it in the viv

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Thread Information