Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gingerbread. Impaction survivor.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gingerbread. Impaction survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Little froggy is hungry. I don't see a lump on her right side anymore. I placed her in her soak dish after she ate. She didnt try and jump away at all. I later went to check her and see if she started to poop. She was out of her soak dish, but when she saw me peeking she immediately turned to face me like she wanted more food. Should I start feeding her more than I have been? I don't want to overdo it and have her bust. This one is such a cool frog. Wish you guys could meet her.
    Offer a little extra, but not much.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Okay. Ty

Fed Gingerbread tonight, then went to place her in her soak dish. Felt the impaction from underneath. Her right side isnt hard at all. Dont know if its a good thing that it moved or what. I hope its almost out. She also bit me tonight then attacked her plant. She is literally trying to eat everything that moves lol. She is still kinda lop sided. I think that if we beat the impaction she will go back to normal. I can't wait to feed her where she isn't hungry anymore.

I think I might try the mineral oil treatment soon. Can anyone teach me how to do it please. I kinda want to try it while she is eating good.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You will need a small syringe without a needle, a 10 mL syringe will do fine.
    Warm the mineral oil to 80°F.
    You'll have to restrain gingerbread so the best way to do it is to wrap him in a small hand towel or paper towel while you hold him.

Fill the syringe with 5 mL of mineral oil and just push the end of this syringe in the edge of gingerbreads mouth and slowly inject the mineral oil.

Be careful not to push into much too quickly or you could choke him.

good luck!

Could I inject a worm piece, instead of force feeding? Is there a certain brand to use? And she is about a silver dollar around 5 ml seems like a lot.

Want to make sure I get it right

Nationality
    [United States]

How long has Gingerbread been without a poop now? I'm asking because in my experience, the Pacmans defecated once a week to 10 days. Duncan my Pixie eats daily and poops around once a week too. Just mentioning it because of the additional stress administering the mineral oil will cause. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

She pooped the day I got her. Then she pooped very little since then. Going on a month without really pooping.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    You will need a small syringe without a needle, a 10 mL syringe will do fine.
    Warm the mineral oil to 80°F.
    You'll have to restrain gingerbread so the best way to do it is to wrap him in a small hand towel or paper towel while you hold him.

Fill the syringe with 5 mL of mineral oil and just push the end of this syringe in the edge of gingerbreads mouth and slowly inject the mineral oil.

Be careful not to push into much too quickly or you could choke him.

good luck!
    Lol! Louis you can't just press the syringe under the frog's lips and expect the oil to go in. The mouth will have to be pried open and the oil will need to be squirted into the frog's mouth. Mineral oil tastes bad so expect Gingerbread to give you the death look.

Use a plastic spoon flipped upsidedown to pry the mouth open. If the frog is small aquire a appropriately sized spoon to perform this. Most vets use a special syringe to bypass the mouth and inject directly into the frog's stomach so the frog does not try to spit the oil out.

Good luck Dan

Kk thanks everyone. Ill let you know how it goes. Just to double check 5ml right?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Mineral oil tastes bad so expect Gingerbread to give you the death look.

Yep that is the look I got from a american bull frog the last time I did that when it swallowed a few small pieces of smooth gravel.
    I friend of mine that is a chiropractor X-rayed the frog for me.
    This was many years ago when I lived in Aiken SC and the only vet in town was a livestock vet. And laughed at me when I called him about the frog.
    He said to just put it in a bag of water in the freezer and put it out of its misery.

This frog was at a local school and was a loved class pet. So I treated it with the above procedure and a day later out came the two culprits.
    and the next x-ray was clear and he was back to his normal self but his bowel was pretty loose for a few days afterwards.

And I now remember the first dose was spat out along with his entire tongue.
    So the next dose had to be administered by holding his mouth closed until he swallowed.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh and my local vet said that cat laxative or hair ball remedy that is mostly meat flavored petroleum jelly would also work.

First dose taken. I injected a worm with about 1ml. I measured out 5ml but it seemed like it would pop her like a balloon if she took that much in. She is about 1.25 STV. Do I need to soak her tonight? She has had a couple weeks since her last soak, and has been pretty stress free. How long does it usually take to kick in? Hope this works.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    First dose taken. I injected a worm with about 1ml. I measured out 5ml but it seemed like it would pop her like a balloon if she took that much in. She is about 1.25 STV. Do I need to soak her tonight? She has had a couple weeks since her last soak, and has been pretty stress free. How long does it usually take to kick in? Hope this works.
    Mineral oil doesn't take long at all. You could soak her if you like. She will probably have a surprise for you by morning.

Sweet ill give her a nice warm soak for a little bit. 10-15 mins at 80 degrees. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

Hypnotic

Goodluck Dan! Hope this works.

Had this waiting on me when i woke up. Think i need to get a fecal done. This poop was really big around for such a little frog. But a little off color. There should be some more poop coming soon. That wasnt enough poop for how much she has eaten last few weeks.

CHiNO

nice poop lol

Fed her tonight. From what I can tell she isn't lopsided anymore. I fed her 3 small nightcrawler chunks with a little bit of calcium dust. Here is a pic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information