Thread: Fantasy frog baby problem.

reptileszz

Default Fantasy frog baby problem.

UGH I just typed up everything, took me half an hour to answer all the questions. Putting photos in blew it all away. UGH I dont have time now but this frog has not eaten in 10 days. When I get a chance I will try and answer all the questions again. How annoying and a waste of time to have the whole thing blown away by the photos.

Name:  20130820_192058.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  72.0 KBName:  20130831_184009.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  80.9 KBName:  20130831_184022.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  84.9 KB
    The first pic is when he got home and was all fat. the 2nd and 3rd pics were 1 minute ago with the new bedding. I lifted up his hide for the pic.

Thanks so much,
    Carole

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Fantasy frog baby problem.

He's definitely looking thin. We can't really pick up on anything wrong without those questions but its happened to me aswell so when you get time you should re-answer the questions..

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Carole and sorry this beauty is sick . First thing is to move it to a hospital set-up with damp unprinted paper towels for substrate and all sides covered to reduce stress. Will need unflavored Pedialyte (or similar), night crawlers (not dyed at Walmarts sport section or similar) and a box of Fluker's Repta Boost.

Second is to prepare a Pedialyte bath (10% Pedialyte and 90% 80F dechlorinated water) to frog's chin for 20 minutes or so. Then tong grab a worm, rinse in dechlorinated water, pat dry in paper towel, cut as required from pointy end, and dust in Repta Boost. Approaching from side, gently rub worm piece on frogs mouth and see if it will bite it. If so, keep doing it until frog stops eating. Do the feeding right after the bath when frog is perked up. Main thing now is to get some nourishment in it, so hope this helps. Will wait for your answers to help questions and here they are so you just cut and paste. Good luck !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Do not move the frog to a hospital setup yet!!

If unsure of what may be the problem it will cause more stress on the frog.

The only time a hospital setup is required is if there is something infectious or a wound that could become infected. Parasites included. Keep him comfortable until we figure out what is ailing this frog.

Answer the questions Carlos posted and buy the products he recomended. You will also need some plain honey.

reptileszz

I have pedialyte powder. Is that what you speak of or are you talking about the kind that comes already mixed up? I hope they have reptiboost at petsmart or petco. Is one more likely than the other to have it? Questions answered below. I will not attempt to post pics again since you can see them already.

I should mention that I have an existing ornate from last fall that is doing very well under the exact same conditions. Also got a baby albino pacman frog at same time as this one and he is also well and in same conditions. Altho he doesnt eat like a pig like I expected him to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hi Carole and sorry this beauty is sick . First thing is to move it to a hospital set-up with damp unprinted paper towels for substrate and all sides covered to reduce stress. Will need unflavored Pedialyte (or similar), night crawlers (not dyed at Walmarts sport section or similar) and a box of Fluker's Repta Boost.

Second is to prepare a Pedialyte bath (10% Pedialyte and 90% 80F dechlorinated water) to frog's chin for 20 minutes or so. Then tong grab a worm, rinse in dechlorinated water, pat dry in paper towel, cut as required from pointy end, and dust in Repta Boost. Approaching from side, gently rub worm piece on frogs mouth and see if it will bite it. If so, keep doing it until frog stops eating. Do the feeding right after the bath when frog is perked up. Main thing now is to get some nourishment in it, so hope this helps. Will wait for your answers to help questions and here they are so you just cut and paste. Good luck !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure Shoebox size approximately. It is half of a sweaterbox sized critter keeper type
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences just the one
    3. Humidity - no humidity monitor but it has been super humid here in CT since I got him and he is on moist coco fiber
    4. Temperature - 78-79 at night 82-85 by day
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish was tap water (city water) until yesterday morning when I switched to Pur filtered water (what we drink)
    6. Materials used for substrate - eco earth coco fiber but WAS ON MOSS until I realized it could be a problem. I never saw him eat a piece when he was eating for that short period of time but maybe?
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. nothing but a hide and water dish
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. hide was washed and then rinsed very well with tap water. Coco fiber was soaked in tap water
    8. Main food source - have tried roaches, mealworms, crickets, piece of night crawler. He did eat at least 2 mealworms and a piece of night crawler before he stopped eating. Tried the samurai pacman food and that is the last thing he touched. He spit it out and hasnt eaten since.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting - room light only
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - nothing. The room is this warm and will be nearly this warm in the winter when I might have to add a heat pad to the back.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - 10-11 days ago
    13. Have you found poop lately - yes 2 days ago in the water
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog - not sure. About 1.25 inches
    16. How long have you owned him/her 2 weeks
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred CB
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats see above
    19. How often the frog is handled - never except I do move him out from under hide to try and feed him. Have also put him in the water dish
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - low
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) change water daily.

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Thank you so much. Lets hope this one posts.
    Carole

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Carole; as long as it's unflavored, powder or liquid are OK. Petco should have Repta Boost; maybe Petsmart too.

Hum... you are not treating the water? Does not matter if tap or filtered (chlorine and chloramines can remain in filtered water), it needs to be dechlorinated to go into anything related to frog. That includes bath, mixing pedialyte and other treatments, mixing into coco substrate, mixing into powdered foods, and even rinsing your washed hands before handling frogs. I use Seachem Prime but Tetra's Aquatize is great too. This is a major thing that can mess your frogs and must be corrected ASAP.

It would be good to check humidity in the habitat. Anything below 70% or higher than 90% can be bad. The ExoTerra combo digital hygrometer/thermometer sells for around $20 in Amazon and is very accurate. Good luck !

reptileszz

Well, I am an idiot. I missed the unflavored part. Before I saw the last message I soaked him for 20 min in 10% fruit punch flavor in the "filtered water" so apparently still with chlorine, ugh. He did seem to perk up for a bit and I think he took some in. I dont have the reptaboost yet but offered up a piece of night crawler to no avail. Now he looks worse than ever. I hope I did not kill him with the flavored pedialyte I have the seachem prime here but how on earth do you treat these tiny amounts of water with it?

Thanks,
    Carole

reptileszz

Unhappy Re: Fantasy frog baby problem.

And it gets worse. Much worse. I just noticed he has "spots" underneath. Here is a pic. I think it is likely the dreaded red leg I didnt notice this yesterday. I just noticed it after the bath. This is not good.Name:  20130901_091024.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  42.0 KB

Carole

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by reptileszz View Post
    .. I have the seachem prime here but how on earth do you treat these tiny amounts of water with it?...
    Do you have an eye dropper? 1 ml. of Prime will treat 10 gal of water; 1/10 ml. will treat 1 gal. So we calculate... brrrrrrr (brain calculating) caching : 4 drops per gallon or 1 drop per litter .

Nationality
    [United States]

Yep, poor thing is all toxed out and stressed . Lets get some good water mixed (80F) and give him a rinse. Once you get the UNFLAVORED Pedialyte we can try again. Know it's all stressed up and the immune system is compromised; but need to replace the substrate since it was mixed with untreated tap. Must do that on all the enclosures, even one's with healthy frogs. You got a busy day ahead Carole . If your frog survives all this I'm naming it "Fruit Punch !"

Nationality
    [United States]

Now you need to setup a hospital tank! This is very bad!

You will need to take the frog to a Vet that treats herps, but for now you can treat the wounds with Original Neosporin WITHOUT PAIN KILLER. Don't get that wrong. The pain killer will kill the frog so make sure the Neosporin is plain.

You can also buy some Melafix which is a fish antibiotic. Buy regular strength. Make a bath of 80° DECHLORINATED WATER that is only deep enough to cover half of the frog or up to the frogs chin. You can mix the antibiotic solution first then pour the solution into whatever you wish to soak the frog in. The mixture is for every 16 ounces of DECHLORINATED WATER add 1 drop of Melafix. Soak the frog for 20 to 30 minutes then return the frog to its hospital tank. Change the paper towels daily to keep the infection from spreading. Disinfect the tank everyday to every other day and no less.

This may be to much for you to handle without the assistance of a Vet. He will need perscription antibiotics if he is to survive. Its a harsh reality, but sometimes you just can't cure them without help.

reptileszz

Well, it looks like I killed him with the pedialyte or he was ready to expire on his own. After the bath and noticing the spots I did put him on moistened paper towel and went running. When I came back he was dead

I want to thank you all for the great advice. I will take it all to heart for the other frogs and any future frogs. I will be changing their substrate today with the treated water.

I hope I didnt waste too much of anyone's time

Carole

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Do you have an eye dropper? 1 ml. of Prime will treat 10 gal of water; 1/10 ml. will treat 1 gal. So we calculate... brrrrrrr (brain calculating) caching : 4 drops per gallon or 1 drop per litter .
    Thank you for the conversion. I will treat up a gallon at a time or so and keep in in there. That way I will always have it at the ready for my other frogs.

Carole

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm sorry for your loss. Be sure to change out everyones substrate and water with treated water.

Makes sure you disinfect everything to prevent this from spreading to your other animals.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for the baby frog death; it was a cutie . The CL on water slowly did poisoned him and as you say; the fruit punch bath gave it the final push to death. Time to first work on the other frogs and then sterilize his enclosure.

Don't stress too much; I've accidentally killed a few of my pets. Last was my 2 year old blue crayfish, when moved it to a bigger tank, and added a larger clay pot. The clay pot had been in a fish tank a year before, which had been treated with meds toxic to inverts. Back in water the meds leached out and in couple day he was dead. Took me a while to figure out what went wrong then went .

Hypnotic

Sorry for your loss. Could have happend to anyone, I recently forgot to treat my big girls substrate water aswell, fortunately I noticed when she was banging against the curver side trying to get out.
    I've also lost one of my pets due to fault of my own before, my avicularia passed because I accidently hit him with a spray of water, he became lethargic and past a few days later.
    But we all learn from our mistakes, I always avoid animals while misting now, besides my froggies, they seem to love it.

NialR35

Seriously read the care sheet before buying another frog. It saddens me the "visually" healthy condition you frog was when you first got him and how he looked in the final days.

At least out of every bad experience, something else is learned. I wish you the best though for future babies

Thread Information