Thread: Hi everyone!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Hi everyone!

Hey all!

I have been interested in frogs/toads since a VERY young age and now I am a lot older I have decided it is time to start keeping them.

I do need some guidance though so any help would be very much appreciated.

I have decided that I am going to buy the Exo Terra Glass Terrarium (30x30x45cm version) and I haven't decided on what species I want to keep yet. I have done a little bit of research and am quite interested in keeping either the Melanophryniscus Stelzneri (I think that is the right one, the Black and Yellow one? haha) or the Hylidae (red eye tree frog? gosh I need to do more research haha).

I am a novice though so other than deciding on a terrarium I have no idea of what I need.

I do know I want to keep real plants and I want the Terrarium to replicate the species natural habitat as close as possible.

Many thanks in advance for any response I get, and I hope to stick around this place for quite some time. I will be doing a step by journal once I know what I want etc.

Danny.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hi everyone!

Hello and welcome to FF Danny! This article has good info to help you pick out a frog species: Frog Forum - Choosing a Frog . Also in the Article Section can find some some specific information about some popular species. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Oh wow, sorry I should have searched rather than just diving in and asking haha.

Thank you for the heads up and I will read through those threads thoroughly.
    Many Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Welcome!

If you haven't bought the set up yet, I would hold off. You might fall in love with a species that isn't compatible with that tank and an aquarium style tank might be more suitable.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I haven't bought anything yet, would rather research and gather a list of things to buy rather than buy something and not use it like you said. However...

I have been researching today and I think I have fell in love with Melanophryniscus Stelzneri (Bumble Bee Toad)... They are adorable and I hear they are good for beginners? I'm not looking to breed them, especially not in my first few years of keeping them. Just need to gather a list of items I need to buy and think about how I want my Terrarium to look (once I purchase it and stuff).

Is the Terrarium I am looking at suitable for that species? I read they are not great climbers, however I kind of wanted it tall so I could make a little water section with a waterfall etc at the front of the terrarium and the substrate building up towards the back. I want it to look as close to the real thing as possible haha, so no skulls or **** like that :P

Nationality
    [United States]

For Bumble Bees think a longer and wider than taller tank is preferred. Understand you want a waterfall; so if staying with your planned size (around 11 gallons) it's going to limit the amount of frogs to maybe a couple. Maybe can look at the ExoTerra Small Wide (45 cm. cube) and see if you like it. That will give you around 25 gal. and you could keep a small colony of up to around 8-10 frogs .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I'm not bothered about having loads of frogs, 2-3 would be great. Plus with the Filling cabinet I am looking at getting the 45cm cube would be too big to fit on top. :/ (Limited space between TV cabinet and Game tower storage the filling cabinet is 40x48cm). I could get the 30x30x30cm model, but for like £3 more I thought the 30x30x45cm version would be better?

I still only have 3 items on my to buy list haha:

1) Filling Cabinet
    2) Terra Glass Terrarium (undecided on model as I stated above)
    3) Terra Rainforest Heat mat (Do I even need this? Plus with water where does it go? haha)

I have no idea about the substrate and stuff I need... I see people put this cloth in the terrarium also and I have no idea what that is? lol. I'm such a novice >.<

Thread Information