Thread: Runny stool?

Pyxiefan001

Default Runny stool?

I've been treating Pyxie for a nematode infection she got, I suspect, from eating some bad crickets. Her last and hopefully final for a while dose of Panacur was given exactly a week ago. I'm currently waiting another week before getting another fecal done to make sure she's parasite free. In the meantime I've been continuing to disinfect the hospital tank once a day.

But now her stools have been coming out rather runny and in small amounts lately. Not at all like the big logs I've been accustomed to. Could this be the work of the medicine? Her typical diet is nightcrawlers, supplemented weekly with either Dubias or Samurai. Temperatures are low 80s during the day, mid to high 70s at night, and humidity at a constant 80%.

She has at least still been eating well. Her last meal was on 8/27, where she had 4 'crawlers and a clump (= to 3 spoons of that little one you get in the bag) of Samurai. Photo of this sample was taken today, just after the daily disinfection.

Name:  DSC_0589.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  30.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Runny stool?

it might have been because of meds, just like after antibiotics for humans
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, as soon as you'll get a clear bill of health you can transfer a frog to a proper enclosure and give it time.
    if fecal is clean then you go with how a frog feels, if you clearly see it is doing well, fat and healthy, has no problems eating and pooping then don't worry about it.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Runny stool?

Keep and eye on this. If it continues a week after the meds have passed through the frog's system then their could be something else wrong. Very runny watery stool is indicative of a internal bacterial infection or protozoan infection, but as Lija said some medications can cause this.

Some vets will create a mixed suspension of Panacur and Metronidazole(Flagyl) so that while the Panacur kills the parasites the antibiotic Metronidazole prevents the frog from getting an infection and going into septic shock from the parasites dying and rotting inside the frog. Metronidazole kills many forms of bacterial and Protozoa.

Thread Information