Thread: Newbie here... PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME :)

Khon Salcedo

Default Newbie here... PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME :)

Name:  IMG_1229[1].jpg
Views: 160
Size:  74.0 KBName:  IMG_1228[1].jpg
Views: 185
Size:  57.8 KBName:  IMG_1230[1].jpg
Views: 172
Size:  72.3 KB
    Hi, I just got 2 pacman frogs and my Albino Pacman "Lemon" looks bloated... i feed them every night the other one eats well while Lemon refuses food items.. They've been with me for a week now and I just want to know if he/she's fine....
    size: 2.5-3in
    substrate: coco fiber
    temperature: around 80-84
    P.S. I felt his sides were "air-filled"
    PLS HELP! Thanks in Advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Newbie here... PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME :)

Welcome to the frog forums! Puffed up full of air is okay. Its just them trying to look bigger. Please fill out the question below and we can get you to a good start in keeping these frogs.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

Now if he feels puffed up full of squishy liquid then that's a problem.

Khon Salcedo

1. Size of enclosure.. 8x8x12
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences..1
    3. Humidity.. 80%
    4. Temperature.. 80-84
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish. dechlorinated water
    6. Materials used for substrate.. coco coir
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv... few artificial plants.. mostly substrate
    8. Main food source.. mealworms(beheaded), lobster roaches, phoenix worms
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting-none
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure.. natural climate
    12. When is the last time he/she.. just this night but refused to eat at first
    13. Have you found poop lately.. yes
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog.. idk.. around 2-3 mos?
    16. How long have you owned him/her..1 week
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred.. CB
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats... every night
    19. How often the frog is handled... seldom
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area.. low
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc).... daily change of water dish.. spot cleaning poop... planning to change substrate monthly

Khon Salcedo

Ok thnks sir... I'll just monitor him/her for now...btw.. what's the ideal age for a 3in pacman?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That puffed up with air is not a problem but IMO when held up for long times could signal a stressed out frog... and then it stopped eating . From the pics; it appears to me your frog is suffering from CA deficiency and Metabolic Bone Disease is already showing on legs. Does frog legs look normal and can held up animal same as others you have?

MDB happens when the frog's physiology starts drawing CA from it's own bones because of a shortage in it's diet. With proper nourishment and caught early enough some of it's effects can be reduced and the animal can recover some.

Although appear you are not using supplements, this issue has been ongoing far longer than you had both frogs. Recommend get either Repashy's or ReptaCal CA/D3 and vitamin supplements and use then on all frogs from now on. The standard dosage is CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1X weekly on different days with a skip day in between.

For this frog and since not eating, get local version of unflavored Pedialyte (a baby electrolyte drink) and mix one part of it with 9 parts 27C dechlorinated water. Then soak frog in solution to it's chin depth for 20 minutes. Afterwards return it to enclosure and offer a piece of earthworm (around frogs length) dusted on CA/D3. You can rinse the worm in dechlorinated water, pat dry on paper towel, then dust. If long can cut from pointy end and worms will heal. If it takes it, repeat until frog is satiated. Then update thread and we will go from there. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

1. That size is fine if your frog if its at 2.5 inches. If it closer to three inches you are going to need a bigger enclosure soon. Make sure that you have three sides covered.
    3./4. What are you using to monitor the temps/humidity in the enclosure. 82-84 is good for day, and you want about 77-78 at night.
    8. Meal worms are no good for these frogs, they have a hard to digest shell that can cause impaction. Not sure about lobster roaches and pbeonix worms but I belive they are in the same boat. Nightcrawlers are the best staple food hands down. Make sure you get undyed and unsented one though.
    9. Get calcium with D3 and a multi vitamin. They are very very important for your frogs health. Dust with the calcium dust twice a week and dust with vitamins once a week. Do not use the same dust on the same days. Dust with at least a day in between.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Fix the Calcium deficiency before ever thinking about a new enclosure.

Carlos has given excellent advice on fixing the MBD.

Lobster Roaches are fine, but Mealworms Pheonix worms are not a good feeder.

Khon Salcedo

I just soaked him this morning... turns out he was shedding... after soaking he's back to normal
    I thought phoenix worms are good for herps since it's rich in Calcium?.. are there alternative vitamins for pacmans? because the specific ones like reptical are not that readily available in our place...

lumpbump

If supplements are hard to find you can order samurai pacman frog food. I believe its marketed as a complete diet. No need for dusting and supplementing. I've got a couple babies eating the stuff now and they are doing great.

Thread Information