Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally decided to introduce myself

justin shockey

Default Re: Finally decided to introduce myself

no i think its sick but you can do better it don't heart

Kurt

I think it is just fine. I keep my White's in a set-up very similar to yours. I also have a small soft-shell turtle and some fish in it.
    You could actually breed red-eyes in a set-up like yours, as long as there are no fish, turtles, or anything else in the water. You would need a spray bar above to simulate rain and of course another red-eye.

justagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I think it is just fine. I keep my White's in a set-up very similar to yours. I also have a small soft-shell turtle and some fish in it.
    You could actually breed red-eyes in a set-up like yours, as long as there are no fish, turtles, or anything else in the water. You would need a spray bar above to simulate rain and of course another red-eye.
    That's the idea. The only other thing that I will have in there will be some snowball shrimp (coming this weekend). I just have to have something in there to watch during the day that actually does something. LOL.

I'm hoping that the vendor I got my pygmy chameleon from last week will be at the herp show again next month. He's the only one that had red eyes (the frogs...not him) and they were only $15.

Thanks, Justin! What do you think I could do different?

Kurt

Just be careful when adding fish and other aquatic animals to the enclosure. When buying ask if the aquarium from which your critters are coming from has had any African or dwarf clawed frogs in it or is connected to another tank that does. The reason being, these frogs are know carriers of chytrid, a fungus that is killing amphibians across the globe. It doesn't kill them, but potentially kill other frogs. If the tanks are connected but there is a UV sterilizer between them, then its ok.

Also do not mix frog sizes. A $15 red-eye is most likely a captive bred froglet, and thus real small. Putting it in an enclosure with adult red-eyes you run the risk of canibalism. I have never seen it in this species, but why take the chance.

Also quarantine any new frogs for 30 - 60 days before they are added to your establish frog community.

justagirl

Gotcha. And I know this snail/shrimp breeder very well and have bought from her before. She has species specific tanks and none of them are linked. But thanks for the warning. I don't always buy from her.

Hmm...never thought about cannibalism. Something to think about. I did know about quarantine, though, but thanks for the reminder. For some reason I only think to do that with fish. lol

Kurt

I never quarantine fish, I don't have a lot of fish tanks. Just the one, so basically it is impossible for me to quarnatine fish.

Quarantining frogs is easy, just set up one of those plastic critter keepers with a paper towel substrate, a water bowl, and a broad-leafed plant.

FrogFreak

It looks nice to me...I dunno if there needs to be that much water...but hey...I'm not the expert.

justagirl

Thanks, Kurt. You have been so much help.

Thank you Jordan. There is a reason that I have so much water. I eventually want to breed them and they'll fall into the water when they hatch. Also, it really helps keep the humidity up. Plus, I'm putting some shrimp in there today. I need something that's going to be active during the day. lol

Hey, Kurt. One more thing. Do you know of a live plant that I can put in there that will not need constant trimming and roots in water? Thanks.

justin shockey

maybe some drip vines and some for it to clime on and some type of hide out

FrogFreak

Quote Originally Posted by justagirl View Post
    Thank you Jordan. There is a reason that I have so much water. I eventually want to breed them and they'll fall into the water when they hatch. Also, it really helps keep the humidity up. Plus, I'm putting some shrimp in there today. I need something that's going to be active during the day. lol
    Oh cool!

justagirl

Drip vines????

Thanks, Jordan!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by justagirl View Post
    Hey, Kurt. One more thing. Do you know of a live plant that I can put in there that will not need constant trimming and roots in water? Thanks.
    Anubias maybe. When it comes to plants I have a brown thumb . BTW, the tadpoles are quite active during the day.

justagirl

Yay about the tadpoles!

I'm looking for a plant that will support the weight of Calleigh. Hmm...time to Google.

Kurt

I am thinking artifical.

justagirl

Yeah. Looks like I'm stuck with it. I just hate it cuz I like things to be natural. Grr!

Kurt

I have gotten used to artificial plants. It is a rare event when I can keep a plant alive. I got a bromeliad at the Manchester show last month and its still alive. It even flowered! Whoo hoo!

justagirl

Woo Hoo! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information