Thread: Is Acrylic Paint frog safe?

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Exclamation Is Acrylic Paint frog safe?

I'm going to be painting my room with non-toxic Green Acrylic paint, and moving the two big Bullfrog tanks to the middle of the room whilst taking the Chorus frogs and Sals tanks entirely out. No paint will make contact with either Gnag or Bumpy or their tanks - but I know Acrylic Paint produces fumes. Will this harm Gnag and Bumpy, or will keeping the window completely open and a fan over each tank suffice in keeping the fumes away from them? Unfortunately, unless I took them both out, Gnag my spare critter keeper and Bumpy in the 5 Gallon hospital setup (with no lid) for maybe 24 hours, they cannot leave their tanks.

Most of the time these frogs reside in their driftwood caves, only their head out of the water and mostly undercover. At night, they come out but at least half of their bodies are submerged in water all the time.

I need to know before tomorrow, so any answers would be appreciated.

(Oh, and sorry if I put this in the wrong category. I was unsure as to which category it would fall into.)
    Last edited by Gnag the nameless; August 27th, 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Elaborated a bit.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hypnotic

Default Re: Is Acrylic Paint frog safe?

I think if your painting your room, it would be safest to move all your animals out. I realise what a bother this can be but in cases like these, it's better to be safe now then sorry later.
    You might get away with it, but if wind blows in the wrong direction even once and hits even one of your frogs with paint fumes... Well, you know it wouldn't be safe.
    Just move them to any other room, even if you have to put em on your dining room table in my opinion. I've also repainted once and cleared my entire room out and I din'd even have frogs at that time, I just had rodents.

Nationality
    [Canada]

That's the hard part I cannot move the two big tanks out of the room. That much is certain. I could put Gnag in the Critter Keeper and Bumpy in the 5 gallon, but that would mean I'd not be able to feed the two of them for that period of time and they'd both be cramped in a very small space . How long do you think it would be for it to be safe for me to put them back in their tanks once we'd finished painting? And would I have to completely disassemble the tanks after because of the fumes?
    My Amphibians:

Hypnotic

Well, I'm not a paint expert, I have no idea, I've heard that usually people let the room air for a day with the door / windows open. I painted my entire room in 2 hours, let it air for the night and in the morning moved all my pets back in. I honestly believe if you cover the airholes of the tanks with tight plastic wrap, you give it 24 hours of airing to be safe with everything open, it should be safe.
    That's what I would do, but I'm a little paranoid when it comes to animals.
    What would also be an option is not covering them, but scrubbing them out completely after the 24 hours. (note, I don't think you even need 24 hours, but that would be the safe bet)

Edit: If you don't want to disasemble them, I would go for full coverage of every possible air hole, even the front sides of the doors. Make sure everything is tight and no airflow can get in. I'm not sure if paint fumes can land and stay on things, but if I was in your position, I'd be overly paranoid, taking extreme precautions is less bad then ending up with a dead pet.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I was just doing some research, and apparently there is a way to get rid of paint fumes before the paint is even on the wall:
    3 Natural ways to get rid of paint fumes

"Before you begin to paint, mix in one tablespoon of vanilla extract per quart of paint then stir well. The vanilla will neutralize most, if not all, of the paint fumes, removing them from the room before you’ve even started painting."

Do you think this would work in removing the paint fumes? And if so, could I keep my frogs in their tanks during the process?

My Amphibians:

I think safest bet would be to remove the frogs from their tank for the time being while your room's paintjob dries. Bullfrogs are hardy fellows, I think they can stand being in a small space for a short period. Also, I think it would be wise to cover their empty tanks with something like saran wrap to stop the fumes getting in as well! Better safe than sorry!
    "Those among us who are keepers (yes, I am one) owe each and every animal, be their cost mere pennies or thousands of dollars, the best of conditions and care. Research each species before acquisition, and then acquire only those that you can care for adequately and with relative ease." - Richard Bartlett

Default Is Acrylic Paint frog safe?

Put the frogs in plastic bins in another room if you are worried about them. I have done worse than paint in the same room as my frogs and never relocated them, just covered the tanks with comforters and all was fine.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Put the frogs in plastic bins in another room if you are worried about them. I have done worse than paint in the same room as my frogs and never relocated them, just covered the tanks with comforters and all was fine.
    That's relieving to hear, Bill. Thanks for the reply

As for the frogs right now, they're in a separate room, Gnag in the critter keeper and Bumpy in a 2.5 Gallon, and I placed the Chorus frogs (in their tank) in the same room, with the lights off. I've got 3 big fans at top speed in my room right now, window open, and the hall fan outside my room on. Already the smell's gone away a lot, but I'm going to wait until 10:00, 10:30, or 11:00 to put the frogs back in their tanks. During the painting and until a few minutes ago I taped the top of the tanks completely shut with a garbage bag taped to the sides. I made sure no holes were visible, and in the process used up almost all of the tape

As for my room, it's a nice green, "New Grass". Certainly better than the orange-yellow of before I'm sure the frogs will feel a bit more secure seeing that the area outside their tanks is green.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Unhappy Re: Is Acrylic Paint frog safe?

Bad news

Something's up with Gnag. He's not eating. Everyone else is fine, but the big bullfrog isn't touching his crickets. There could be several reasons for this, but I know it must be linked to the painting job done on my room:

1. The Stress caused by being set aside in a small container for about 5 or so hours has sent Gnag into a slight shock (*He was also in his tank when it was being moved to the middle of the room so that shook him up a bit).

2. The Stress caused by the 2 events listed in possibility #1 has caused a parasite, virus, or fungus to start hurting him. I had not mentioned this but he did have a white, seemingly fungal spot on his back that grew a bit before he rubbed off. The small abrasion/hole seems to be healing fine, but I'm worried it's allowed Viruses/Funguses into his body and they stress of being put in the container and shook around has allowed them to take ahold.

3. Somehow, some of the paint fumes got in his tank and into the water and are causing him to be lethargic. However, this is unlikely because Bumpy is acting fine and his tank was left in the room during the painting as well (but covered over).

Any ideas? I'm really worried. If he doesn't eat by tomorrow night I'm gonna request a trip to the Vet.

(Note: I didn't get the chance to give him a Fecal Exam earlier this month because I was forced to spend my money on something else [a cricket-proof lid for Bumpy]. Also, I have no idea how to prepare a feces for a Fecal Exam.)
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [Canada]

No luck on trying to get him to eat. I think a pedialyte soak is in order. Haven't found a feces to take in yet, either

Funny thing is he doesn't seem to be losing any weight, but I doubt he's impacted. I even felt his sides and nothing seemed irregular.

Do you think I should give him a dose of panacur?
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [Canada]

No luck on trying to get him to eat. I think a pedialyte soak is in order. Haven't found a feces to take in yet, either

Funny thing is he doesn't seem to be losing any weight, at least not fast, but I doubt he's impacted. I even felt his sides and nothing seemed irregular.

Do you think I should give him a dose of panacur?

UPDATE:

Gnag just ate two crickets! I had to get them right by his cave but he ate them! If he eats tonight then I think it will show it was only stress that caused this (Gnag's never gone through an experience like that before).
    My Amphibians:

Thread Information