Thread: I'm being told these are Dwarf, but look Clawed to me - Help!

Sidney08

Default I'm being told these are Dwarf, but look Clawed to me - Help!

Someone did one of those grow-a-frog kits about a year ago (I had not heard of that until today!). The family has decided they don't want the two frogs anymore and wants to get rid of them. She assured me that they are African Dwarfs because they came from a kit. I was okay with that because they don't grow big. I got home and looked online. It seems like these frogs are African Clawed, which grow to 5"!! That's too big for me! I feel for them because they've been kept in a tank with two tiny boxes with a tube attaching them.

I'm attaching pictures of one of the frogs. Please tell me they aren't Clawed frogs!!Name:  P1190495.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  56.6 KBName:  P1190496.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  51.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I'm being told these are Dwarf, but look Clawed to me - Help!

They are 100% Clawed Frog. How large are they? At a year + they should be nearly full grown. 5" is closer more a snout to vent (bum) length for a mature female. Males run a bit smaller.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Sidney08

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    They are 100% Clawed Frog. How large are they? At a year + they should be nearly full grown. 5" is closer more a snout to vent (bum) length for a mature female. Males run a bit smaller.
    Thanks Jen! Their body length is about 2". I was looking at the Grow-a-Frog kit and the thing they are in now is suited to froglet stage and then are supposed to be moved to something bigger. I'm wondering if they will a sudden growth spurt when I move them into a larger tank and start a healthier diet for them?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney08 View Post
    Thanks Jen! Their body length is about 2". I was looking at the Grow-a-Frog kit and the thing they are in now is suited to froglet stage and then are supposed to be moved to something bigger. I'm wondering if they will a sudden growth spurt when I move them into a larger tank and start a healthier diet for them?
    They're 100% Xenopus Laevis (African Clawed Frog) but they appear stunted. Being stunted usually will kill an animal (fish especially) but Xenopus are tough, so they've survived. At one year old they should be full grown, almost 5 inches if female and maybe 20% smaller than that, if male.

I have no idea if a stunted frog would 'grow' if placed in a proper environment. I would hope that they did, get these guys a 20 gallon long tank or something even bigger if you can swing it and see what happens.

Sidney08

Thanks Michael!

I am definitely going to get them out of the thing they are in now!! I want them to be happy and healthy. These frogs have definitely not been taken care of properly from everything I've read here. She told me they fill the tank with plain tap water that they sit out until it's room temperature and that's it. I also wonder if they have been underfed. I gave them a few pellets and they went crazy looking for more.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

..Their body length is about 2".... I'm wondering if they will a sudden growth spurt when I move them into a larger tank and start a healthier diet for them?
    Hi Sidney! Per others comments; they are stunted. Frogs do have some regenerative capability, and maybe they will continue growing a bit more. However, don't think will reach their full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    ...Being stunted usually will kill an animal (fish especially) but Xenopus are tough, so they've survived....I have no idea if a stunted frog would 'grow' if placed in a proper environment. I would hope that they did, get these guys a 20 gallon long tank or something even bigger if you can swing it and see what happens.
    Stunted fish die since their internal organs suffer damage in their compressed body. Maybe frogs fare better with stunting. These 2 look pretty normal unlike stunted fish.
    Thanks Michael!...I am definitely going to get them out of the thing they are in now!! I want them to be happy and healthy. These frogs have definitely not been taken care of properly from everything I've read here. She told me they fill the tank with plain tap water that they sit out until it's room temperature and that's it. I also wonder if they have been underfed. I gave them a few pellets and they went crazy looking for more.

Very nice of you to give these two another chance . Plain tap... wow !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information