Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Impaction.

Okay thank you Grif. This was how much she was eating every night. She was putting down everything no problem (or so I think).

http://youtu.be/1e5W05mKj44

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Impaction.

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Okay thank you Grif. This was how much she was eating every night. She was putting down everything no problem (or so I think).

Gingerbread the cranwelli - YouTube
    Looks like she has some early Short Tongue Syndrome too. The way she flails her mouth open, but doesn't grab the cricket makes it apparent.

lumpbump

Never had a frog get impacted. I just try real hard when feeding them to minimize how much substrate they ingest. I use coco fiber and feed roaches, earth worms, and now zoo med pacman frog food. Stinky but there's like no risk of substrate ingestion the way I feed em the stuff. I make balls about half the size of the frogs mouth and stick em on the end of a twist tie, then offer it like I'm tong feeding. Works better cause they get the whole ball in one bite and no substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Looks like she has some early Short Tongue Syndrome too. The way she flails her mouth open, but doesn't grab the cricket makes it apparent.
    Last time she had her vitamins was last week. She has gotten better with the tongs too; but she doesn't really seem to useing her tounge. She didn't want to eat tonight. She had a nice sized nightcrawler piece the night before last.

No luck last night. She didn't want to eat and didn't soak. I hope tonight its the reverse. This littleone has a lot of personallity and I don't want anything bad to happen. I'm trying my best with her but don't know if that's enough. Least I can do is keep her comfy and cozy and keep offering small meals.

She ate tonight. Retaboost nightcrawler chunk. Hope it gives her the energy boost she needs for the last push.

Its unbelievable how much stress this 12 dollar frog has given me. I'm losing a lot of sleep. And constantly having the wife check her while I'm at work. Lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by lumpbump View Post
    Never had a frog get impacted. I just try real hard when feeding them to minimize how much substrate they ingest. I use coco fiber and feed roaches, earth worms, and now zoo med pacman frog food. Stinky but there's like no risk of substrate ingestion the way I feed em the stuff. I make balls about half the size of the frogs mouth and stick em on the end of a twist tie, then offer it like I'm tong feeding. Works better cause they get the whole ball in one bite and no substrate.
    Lumpbump using a twist tie to hold onto the ball of Pacman Food does put the frog at risk for impaction and injury. Twist ties are wire coated in paper or plastic and if the frog happen to get the twist tie and all away from you and ingest it , it would be disasterous. The frog may not be ingesting susbstrate, but ingesting that twist tie would be far worse than a little coconut fiber. Trust me.

On that note why are you not using tongs to offer the food? The frog wouldn't ingest substrate if offeed the food from tongs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Its unbelievable how much stress this 12 dollar frog has given me. I'm losing a lot of sleep. And constantly having the wife check her while I'm at work. Lol
    It is very easy to become attached to them. No matter whether its a frog or an insect pets become part of your family and you may even love them like you would love a dog or cat. I care deeply for all of my 20 frogs and when one is lost I feel that pain as if I lost a family member. All of mine, but 2 have been raised from nickel to quarter sized froglets and when you watch them grow and mature it makes it that much harder when they're sick.

Now not everyone has a heart like that and some people don't feel remorse when they lose their frog. They see it as an object of entertainment or amusment so when it dies they just replace it like a pair of shoes. Some connot just be replaced and I know that all to well.

Worrying is ok. Just try not to become too stressed. They can sense your emotions and become stressed themselves.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information