Thread: help with out of town feeding

Kimberly K

Default help with out of town feeding

I have a little green tree frog, and I am planning a trip. As I cant take him with me I have a neighbor coming over to check on him, but I have that anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach. I am worried that I wont will not here to feed him myself. I don't like leaving crickets in there because they die/drown and contaminate the area. Is there a food source that I can feel comfortable leaving in the enclosure while I am gone? I have only given him crickets up until now. He eats 3-4 crickets every other day.Name:  DSCN1621.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  47.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can use a glass bowl to feed. The sides should be at least 1 1/2" tall to keep the crickets from escaping. Be sure no calcium powder is on the sides of the bowl because it allows the crickets to get up the sides. Just put the crickets into the bowl . Taller bowls of 2" or so work even better.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Kimberly K

Default Re: help with out of town feeding

As an experiment I will try that this week to see if he eats. Should I put cricket food in there, otherwise they will die before he eats them.

Nationality
    [United States]

You can put a pinch in if you'd like, perhaps in one corner.

I hope it works for you . I feed all of my tree frogs this way. Much easier. Good luck!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Kimberly! Getting frog eating from glass bowl is a good idea; but wondering how long are you going to be gone? Training neighbor to change water and feed crickets will be necessary if gone for more than a weekend .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Kimberly K

We will be out of town for a week, I know that gel stuff dries up pretty fast for the crickets, I know the dry food will last. Just want to make sure it doesn't hurt the frog. I put 4 crickets in a container last night and put them in with him, I put him in to show him they were there then closed his enclosure. Only one got out, it was on his back as he jumped out. But he ate the rest, one at a time. It worked well... so if I leave 20 or so in with him, that will work for the week we are gone. I just need to make sure they stay alive for him to eat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Your neighbor will be changing the water daily and unless afraid of crickets should handle that too. Leaving 20 crickets in a bowl for a week food supply with no supervision, might not be the best option. Just my 2 cents !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

My advice would be feed heavy a couple days before you go, then go have a nice vacation. Your frog will be fine not eating for a week. When you return, you can feed heavy again for a day or two and then get back on your regular schedule. My white's only eat once per week, so I can assure you they can go a week without food.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

I think you need to find someone to handle the feeding, dusting, changing of water, misting... welcome to frog keeping!
    But seriously, I went away for 4 days once and my husband comlpletely forgot to feed my frogs and change the water bowl (I did have a repti fogger set up, so the humidity and temps were fine)! Needless to say, my hubby had a lot of making up to do
    My white's were just fine, but hungry! So Bill is right, if well fed, they can go a while with out food. but white's are plumper than your little one, so a week may be a stretch.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Thread Information