Thread: Newb from the Western US!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Newb from the Western US!!

Hello everyone,
    thanks for having me! I really am not sure what to say so forgive me if it goes on lol I am a single mom of three amazing teens, we love all types of animals and as such have an almost ark at our home! I came on here to do both research and get advice, we recently acquired an awesome Exo Terra terrarium and have no clue what to do with it as we have narrowed our frog list down to 4 possible new family members I am not sure in what direction to go with setting it up lol

here is a breakdown:
    New bare Exo Terra terrarium (18x18x18)
    aftermarket light hood, no bulb
    heat rock
    and thats it lol

the types of frogs we are thinking of:
    Red Eye Tree
    Green Tree
    Monkey leg
    Dumpy

any advise, direction and sales would be great!
    thanks again for having me, everyone take care

nok1888

Default Re: Newb from the Western US!!

I'm totally new to frogs and so far I don't know much but, watch the heated rock they've been known to give snakes and lizards severe burns. Like I said I don't know about frogs but really wouldn't take the risk

2.0 Border Collies - Jinky and Chance
    3.0 Cats - Monty, Dodger and Crunchie
    1.1 Royal Pythons Orlina and Sedrick
    0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
    1.0 Western Hognose - Hagrid
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - iiara

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I agree a heat rock probs isn't a good idea. Frogs have sensetive skin and coming into direct contact with a heat source like that might give them burns.
    Welcome to Frog Forum

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks guys Yeah no heat rock for us, I just have to figure out the best way to sanitize it before finding it a new home lol! it was just in my list of new things lol

Namio

for beginners, I would start with either Green Tree Frog or Dumpy/White's Tree Frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Roxy and family! OK, first thing is not to buy anything else until you decide on which frog, since they have different needs and enclosure parameters. Yeah, ditch that heat rock, whoever invented them should be made to sit on one ; just kidding !

So go to this link and take a look at the various options: Frog Forum - Choosing a Frog. All frogs you mention are tree frogs so lets talk a bit about that.

The White's are out due to their adult size (with tree frog you have to think in terms of enclosure height) and for them would start at 24 in. height. The Red Eyes would be OK; even if you build a false bottom (recommended) and that takes out a couple in. from height. Monkey type frogs are various and come in different sizes from small ( Orange or Tiger Legs stay around 1.5-2 in.) to big ones (Giant Monkey Leg can reach 4-4.5 in.)! American Green Tree frogs would be OK too since they max out at 2.5 in. In the care article section there are more detailed write ups about some of these frogs (i.e. The Red Eyed Tree Frog). Have fun with new hobby and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for that guys Ok so got rid of the heat rock today....nobody needs a used oven for their new family member! next, after talking with the kids and looking over the Frogs more in depth we have decided on the Red Eye Tree Frog, so now onward to a supply list, any help on this would be great, I really would like to stay with Live plants and more natural surroundings for our new little friends! I have seen a lot of different setups and I just can't find the one I really like, also what type of light bulb do I need, or is ambient light going to suffice? A water feature is another thing I am very interested in, be it a drip wall, waterfall, fogger or mister, what would be best for them? so far the only thing i have set up for sure is a nice clean bare tank and a steady supply of crickets from an awesome auto ship program!
    thanks again for the help and advice everyone! take care

Thread Information