Thread: Where to source a good pacman juvenile, show or online?

specialmias

Default Where to source a good pacman juvenile, show or online?

Hello folks, I've got a nice setup for a pacman frog ready to go as a hold over tank that was supposed to house emperor scorpions. However as a kid I really enjoyed raising tadpoles and would love to do so for these guys again. But I know the chances of finding a pacman tadpole are slim given that the phase only lasts 21-30 days. So realistically I'm looking for a juvenile out there. However, after doing some digging I'm finding that some of the regular breeders for these guys have been inactive? A few websites in the forum history show up as no longer existing. So my question is, should I go ahead and contact some folks? Do you guys know of someone who is still actively breeding this time of year? The other thing I'm considering is that I'm in the DC area so I'll be at the Manassas VA reptile or Reading PA reptile show this Saturday and the Harve de Grace MD show in September. Does anyone know if these shows typically have a good selection of juvenile pacmans? What should I look for in a pacman on display for sale at one of these shows, what are good indicators of health? Should I just save myself a drive and order online? Sorry for the confusion here, I've had inverts for over a decade now but this is my second time stepping into the world of frogs. I had a very successful auratus tank years ago that someone decided to kill off with a pesticide fogger. As a result I don't quite know what to look for in terms of shady reptile show dealers and healthy frogs.

Sorry for asking many questions, I appreciate the opinion of anyone who would like to take the time to chime in. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hypnotic

Default Re: Where to source a good pacman juvenile, show or online?

Well, the USA is a little out of my comfort zone, but I read mikesfrogs (a breeder on these forums) is going to start breeding his frogs again pretty soon, and looking at some of the pictures he posted from some of his frogs, you can't go wrong buying there. So if you have a little patience, I'd definately wait for that.
    The frog has to look healthy, no scars, clear eyes, healthy response, make sure he isn't underfed, or has problems with certain limbs, the latter could point to MBD.
    I do the following, if I buy from a breeder, I'l look them up (everyone has a cellphone with internet these days), make sure you steer clear of people who can't answer questions like, what supplements does the frog recieve? and when was the frog born? Breeders sometimes carry pictures of the parents with them at conventions and should be able to provide pictures if you ask these online. These can tell you alot about your future froglet.
    (I'm not sure if this is done in the USA, but it's a commen practice in Belgium)
    Oh and lastly, and I learned this lesson the hard way, make sure the frog has all his limbs. Because eventhough they might look healthy, something can easely be overlooked.

NialR35

LLL Reptiles if you want to buy online. They have a good reputation and will not mislabel.

dubbean

Sorry about your earlier frogs I agree with what Hypnotic said about asking questions online or at a Herp Show. Study the ways to tell the different kinds of pacman apart and be leary of any table you perceive to have miss-lables frogs. I got my little pacman, Zuma, about 5 weeks ago from a local pet store. However 2 weeks ago I went to a reptile show in Pamona, CA and there were a lot of pacman frogs there. I kind of wished I had waited (sorry Zuma) and picked out a unique frog from the show. I would have got another pacman frog if I would have found a tadpole or a blue phase frog. Although I didn't find this, I did see a lot of healthy looking pacman frogs of all differnet colerations and types. The herp shows are also a good way to get all your herp suplies without having to pay for shipping and all in one place.

Happy hunting.

specialmias

Thanks for the advice guys I think I'll turn it into a checklist and use it for when I go. All of this was very helpful and I know what to look for now. I think what I'll do is grab any remaining supplies at the reptile show. I've got a naturalistic vivarium that was going to be setup for emperors. As a result the way I set it up it has 5 inches of substrate to burrow into (since emperors love burrowing), and I reinforced the layer several times between the full bottom and the hydroballs because in previous enclosures my emperor scorpions were digging it up and getting into it. I also will be covering the sides with tree fern bark and planting epiphytes into it. My scorpions love to dig up plants too so that was intended to prevent them from messing it all up. It also has a large water dish as these scorpions love soaking sometimes and even completely submerging themselves, it also shallow as scorpions tend to drown if they can't get out and they're kind of flat shaped.

As a result I accidentally made an enclosure that I think will be suitable for a pacman frog as well either when he/she gets older or possibly now. The only difference is I have to use treated water with the froggie as the scorpions don't mind tap water.

Also I have a lead on a tadpole now as well that may arrive in October so I think I may be set for now.

Hypnotic

I also use treated water for my scorpion and tarantula, but that's only because I prepare 1 liter at a time, and use it for 2 days.

specialmias

I used to use treated water all the time. I actually work in a lab and have it on a tap. I'm getting a doctoral degree in Entomology and one of the arachnologists in our department stated that treating the tap water really wasn't needed and most of the tropical tarantulas he's worked with for decades have been on tap water so I stopped using it. Now my guys have been on tap water for I think 3 years or so with no ill effects.

Now frogs are another story. I'll have to get used to all the cleaning and treating. I'll also have to make sure I don't forget and rehydrate coco bedding with tap water.

Thread Information