Thread: Good Tank?

reptigirl

Default Good Tank?

Hi, is this a good tank for a juvenile Northern Leopard Frog? I don't know how many gallons it is but the mesearments are 24"Lx 17"Hx 12"W. Also, are there any suggestions for the decor, and setup?

The pictures won't post, so in it i have some live plants, lots of spagnhum moss, and a nice size water dish. I also have a small log, and I have been feeding it small crickets. And does anyone know how to tell the gender of northern leopard frogs?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

reptigirl

Default Re: Good Tank?

reptigirl

Sorry that the pic is upside down, but at least I got it posted

abc123

Picture isn't showing up. Maybe try using photobucket or something to post it. Your setup sounds good, I know they like to have a good amount of water to jump into even though in the wild they can travel far away from water in search of food.

reptigirl

thanks, do you think there is any way I can figure out the gallonege?
    (Sorry for my bad spelling)

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by reptigirl View Post
    Hi, is this a good tank for a juvenile Northern Leopard Frog? I don't know how many gallons it is but the mesearments are 24"Lx 17"Hx 12"W. Also, are there any suggestions for the decor, and setup?

The pictures won't post, so in it i have some live plants, lots of spagnhum moss, and a nice size water dish. I also have a small log, and I have been feeding it small crickets. And does anyone know how to tell the gender of northern leopard frogs?
    From the measurement you appear to have a regular 20 gallon tank, which is sufficient to keep a leopard frog. These frogs are semi-aquatic so you'll need to provide quite a bit of water (see picture below). I'd recommend adding a pump in the setup below, to keep water moving and cleaner.

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/c...ic_setup04.jpg

You'll need to dust your crickets with supplements (Calcium and vitamin powder) about once every 3 to 6 feedings. Live plants are fine and recommended, but make sure you rinse the leaves and remove any fertilizers in the soil that came with the plant before you plant it in. For substrate I would use coconut fiber such as EcoEarth. Make sure you have at least one refuge/cover for the frog. Also in case you haven't, get a dechlorinator to remove the chlorine in tap water. Untreated tap water straight out of the faucet is harmful to amphibians and reptiles.

Here are a couple of links to leopard frog care:

Leopard Frog/Toad
    Northern Leopard Frogs (Rana pipiens) as pets
    Amphibian Care >> Leopard Frog (Rana pipiens and R. utricularia) Care

In terms of sexing leopard frog, I have no previous experience. But for most Ranid frogs in North America, mature female frogs are significantly larger in body mass than adult males. Adult males will have nuptial pad on the outer thumb and capable of mating calls. Female frogs cannot make loud, mating calls, but they can make loud release calls when being grabbed by a person or an undesirable male during mating.

reptigirl

thanks!!

Thread Information