Thread: Are african clawed frogs lazy??

bluefroggy

Default Are african clawed frogs lazy??

hello all.
    iam new here and new to froggy care.
    i just brought home a baby african clawed frog and set him up in my little 10 gal tank.

i am using a filter and maybe he is just trying to get used to his new home.but since lastnight he is just lying around.

he does move from time to time.but doesnt really seem to be very active.and always goes back to the same spot..lol...

how active are these guys or are these little guys really lazy.

any advice on how to make him/her more happy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

scribbles

Default Re: Are african clawed frogs lazy??

Welcome to the forum. African Clawed Frogs are nocturnal, not active during the day. And the frog needs some time to adjust to his new home. Are you providing enough places for the frog to hide? What are you keeping the water temperature at? What type of filter are you using? Most filters stress these frogs out due to vibrations in the water and African Clawed Frogs' sensory organs. Since you have him in a relatively small aquarium, I would consider frequent 100% water changes rather than using a filter.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

In my experience they aren't very active, unless there is food involved, then they are incredibly active.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum! John and Haley are absolutely correct I suggest getting another clawed frog. These frogs seem to be more "social" than other species. I've noticed that they become more active when there is a companion. Two males or a male and female will reside comfortably in a 10 gallon tank (a larger tank would be necessary for breeding). I look forward to them rapping every night. Both males and females call in this species.
    Last edited by Kurt; April 24th, 2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Just wanted to clarify Terry's point a little better.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

PsionicRat

I've read they can be lazy, but my Albino ACF, Takeo, is really rather active day and night. Of course he's been through a lot so I've been attributing it to never having had so much space all to himself before. He's also very easily startled and will zoom around from one side of the tank to the other when I move too suddenly, largely because he used to be hunted around his tiny vase by a curious cat his previous owners had in the house.

I bet if you just give yours some time he'll come around and swim more often. Activity can be part temperament part past experience. But I wouldn't worry too much if yours just hangs around the bottom of the tank a lot.

bluefroggy

hi all.thanks for the advice.

i took the filter out the other day and i must say it made a world of difference.

he/she is much happier now.swims all over the place and floating on top of the water.really active now...lol....

as he grows the tank will grow.i have a 30 gallon waiting for him,but i want to make sure he is bigger before introducing him to it.

scribbles

Glad to hear he/she is doing better.

bntz

My frog is inactive during the day, just sitting in tank bottom, but it's active swimmer during the night. Even it inactive during the day, when I put foods in their tank they become active

Cool Re: Are african clawed frogs lazy??

In my personal experience of owning these frogs; what Ived seen is that when they are babies they tend to be a little bit lazy. As they grow to max size they tend to be a bit more active. I think it maybe that they are trying to hide from predators? Also, you should provide alot of plants. I would get a fluval internal filter instead of a hang on back filter. I would put something to make the water movement slower. Like dont block the opening but put fake plants infront of it. This will "slow" down the water movement a bit. I fed my frog at random hours. I didnt want to keep a schedule. So it learnt that whenever I was around he should go look for food and maybe hed find some. As a baby I only fed it ONCE a day. He grew to 4inches I think within the year or two. It was a male. Yes these people are right these frogs are "community" frogs. Meaning they should be with another acf. But if you own two of these frogs as adults you WILL need a 20gallon tank. Personally Id go for a 40breeder because it gives them ample room for moving and you can add another, but you dont have to do that. I personally did that because I like seeing my frogs get comfy and swim about.

Maybe you dont have the heat up? If I remember their tank should be at about 82? I think 78-82 degrees. Don't use an overly strong bright light. Like one that would probably blind you if you stared at it from afar. These frogs have their eyes going upwards, so they see the light directly. That may bother them.

Dont feed blood worms btw. People will tell you to feed em blood worms and black worms and meal worms. DO not. Blood worms are very bad for these frogs, and meal worms cause impaction. As for black worms, I was told they arent that good but maybe someone else has their opinion on those? Provide a couple of hiding places. Try adding those fake lilly pads. They seem to like to hang underneath it sometimes. Once when I had mine as a baby it would sit in the lilly pad to rest for a few minutes. Then plop in the water.

Good luck. hopes this help.

Ken Worthington

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    If I remember their tank should be at about 82? I think 78-82 degrees.
    Personally I think that maybe too warm, maybe in the mid 70's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Worthington View Post
    I just assumed since its from africa itd be that high. I saw it somewhere. But I forget so I really cant clarify it. There is this african clawed frog site. has everything anyone needs to know.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Worthington View Post
    I keep my frogs at room temperature (68-72). In nature, these frogs are nocturnal, but in captivity they can be fairly active at any time. Mine love to rest their hind legs on the bottom of the tank and stick their nose above the water or just hang out on the bottom. My frogs become very active at night with both males and females calling. The chorus can be quite loud but you get used to it.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

bntz

I think ACF is easy to adapt with its surrounding.My room's temperature it's about 77 with air conditioner (I live in tropical Island and it's hot in the daytime) and 86 without air conditioner. And seems ACF is ok with this whatever I turn on/off my air conditioner.

sparky

hi iv got 4 black clawed frogs amd have had them 4 about 5 years 1 of them has just cum up wi a bulg on it side any eye dearers on wat it is and wat 2 do

Nationality
    [Canada]

Daaaaaaam this thread is ancient. So much BS info here too.
    You should ask your question in a new topic and give us a picture so we can have a look.
    And we would love to see pics of your healthy frogs too.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Sparky, please post a new thread so we can help you. We also ask here that you refrain from "text speech" ex, using numbers instead of words, using slang etc.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Thread Information