Thread: Closing Escape Routes for African Clawed Frog

amandaglad

Exclamation Closing Escape Routes for African Clawed Frog

Hello All!

I have an African clawed frog and he is just as happy as can be in his tank, but when I put him into a smaller one to clean his, he's not the happiest so he made an escape from his "holding" tank. It scared me half to death so for the last couple of nights I'm worried about him escaping his normal tank since he's starting to get curious! The top of the tank's lid was designed to where it is like open in a corner to feed the filter cords and such. I've had a piece of paper covering it till I got my new filter today. But the filter is a long filter and he can easily climb up the thing and out! So can someone recommend how to cover this area so he doesn't get out! Pictures would be helpful too because I tried asking friends about it and totally got confused!

All help is appreciated! Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Closing Escape Routes for African Clawed Frog

What is the make/model of your filter and what type of top do you have? I've personally had luck with glass lids with canisters and screen lids with tetra whisper filters. If your tank is large enough to allow a good chunk of the water volume to be removed, lowering the water 4 inches drastically cuts the chances of a successful jailbreak as well.

Also you may not need to remove the frog to clean so long as you are careful and do not injure them somehow. I keep my frogs in the tank when I do water changes or scrub with my algae brush. They don't really mind being in the tank while you maintain it, they probably stress out more being relocated. When I clean my tank they actually chase my hand around and seem almost curious as to what I'm doing, or at the very least confuse it with feeding time.

amandaglad

Well I ended up getting him a new tank! And now his escape methods are zero to none. The lid fits snug even with my filter. My next problem I'm having now is the filter is one that sits on the wall. It's a Whisper 10i and it hums due to the aquarium being acrylic and not glass. When holding it away from the wall it is as silent as ever but against the wall it hums. It doesn't bother me but I'm just worried it will bother him.

And thank you for the tip! Ill try cleaning it without removing him! He's always curious to what I'm doing when putting stuff in his tank. He's always been a little curious thing.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by amandaglad View Post
    Well I ended up getting him a new tank! And now his escape methods are zero to none. The lid fits snug even with my filter. My next problem I'm having now is the filter is one that sits on the wall. It's a Whisper 10i and it hums due to the aquarium being acrylic and not glass. When holding it away from the wall it is as silent as ever but against the wall it hums. It doesn't bother me but I'm just worried it will bother him.

And thank you for the tip! Ill try cleaning it without removing him! He's always curious to what I'm doing when putting stuff in his tank. He's always been a little curious thing.
    Considering that every clawed frog I have ever raised from small froglet to adult has consistently sandwiched themselves behind an internal whisper filter if they're small enough to fit, I doubt that it will be a problem.

Thread Information