Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Locusts vs crickets.

  1. #1
    100+ Post Member Truffs1178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Location
    Northumberland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    956

    Default Locusts vs crickets.

    What is better for my bullfrog locusts or crickets? And what are better brown or black crickets?

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Monza geckos
    Guest

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Locust are fattier and brown and black crickets make no difference but I'd feed black as they get bigger

  4. #3
    100+ Post Member Truffs1178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Location
    Northumberland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monza geckos View Post
    Locust are fattier and brown and black crickets make no difference but I'd feed black as they get bigger
    I know that blacks are harded to digest because they have more chitin in their exoskeleton but I don't know which is more nutritious.

  5. #4
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,656
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    I know that blacks are harded to digest because they have more chitin in their exoskeleton but I don't know which is more nutritious.
    I believe they are ll similar in nutrition. Its up to you to gutload these kinds of feeders so they become more nutritious. I would mix it up between all three of those feeders so there is some variety in the diet.


  6. #5
    100+ Post Member Truffs1178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Location
    Northumberland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    I'm pretty annoyed because he has completely gone off nightcrawlers. Is there any way to make them more appealing or could I starve him a couple of days so he has to eat them?

  7. #6
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,656
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    I'm pretty annoyed because he has completely gone off nightcrawlers. Is there any way to make them more appealing or could I starve him a couple of days so he has to eat them?
    He is big enough now that he can skip a day or two between feedings.


  8. #7
    100+ Post Member Truffs1178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Location
    Northumberland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    He is big enough now that he can skip a day or two between feedings.
    Oh really? Lol I've been feeding him daily ever since I got him. Could have saved some money there.

  9. #8
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,656
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    Oh really? Lol I've been feeding him daily ever since I got him. Could have saved some money there.
    Lol!! Some days they will want to eat everyday and they will also refuse food sometimes(rarely), but just feed how much he wants in a single feeding then skip a day or two, even three then offer the Night Crawlers. Watch your fingers because the hungrier the frog the more chance of being bitten.


  10. #9
    100+ Post Member Truffs1178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Location
    Northumberland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Lol!! Some days they will want to eat everyday and they will also refuse food sometimes(rarely), but just feed how much he wants in a single feeding then skip a day or two, even three then offer the Night Crawlers. Watch your fingers because the hungrier the frog the more chance of being bitten.
    The reason that I have been feeding daily is because I read somewhere that skipping feeding days means they wont grow as big or can even stunt their growth. I assumed this isn't true but just wanted to be on the safe side and feed him all the time. What's your view on this?

  11. #10
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,656
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    The reason that I have been feeding daily is because I read somewhere that skipping feeding days means they wont grow as big or can even stunt their growth. I assumed this isn't true but just wanted to be on the safe side and feed him all the time. What's your view on this?
    That only applies to babies and juveniles. Large juvies that are near adult sizes are no longer in danger of being stunted.


  12. #11
    100+ Post Member Truffs1178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Location
    Northumberland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    I also feed him other stuff like waxworms, beetle grubs and cockroaches. Its unreal how fast he goes at madagascar hissing roaches. They must be really tasty. I think he likes large prey items the most.

  13. #12
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,656
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    I also feed him other stuff like waxworms, beetle grubs and cockroaches. Its unreal how fast he goes at madagascar hissing roaches. They must be really tasty. I think he likes large prey items the most.
    They do like large prey because a large prey item will satisfy the frog's hunger much faster and with less effort than smaller prey. I'm actually surprised that he still goes for Waxworms because of their size.


  14. #13
    100+ Post Member Truffs1178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Location
    Northumberland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    He ate some earthworms.

    Today at the pet store the guy there gave me 2 chicks for the price of 1 but my mum says i cant keep them in the fridge because she thinks its gross. Do you think it will matter if I give him both as long as I wait till next month to give him any more vertebrate food?

  15. #14
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,656
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    He ate some earthworms.

    Today at the pet store the guy there gave me 2 chicks for the price of 1 but my mum says i cant keep them in the fridge because she thinks its gross. Do you think it will matter if I give him both as long as I wait till next month to give him any more vertebrate food?
    How big are the chicks?


  16. #15
    Moderator Mentat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    5,939
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    ...my mum says i cant keep them in the fridge because she thinks its gross. Do you think it will matter if I give him both as long as I wait till next month to give him any more vertebrate food?
    Tell your Mom I've kept frozen feeder fish, krill, mussels, clams, bloodworms in my freezer and live black worms in the refrigerator side for decades and never had a problem. Also, keeo my NCs in the vegetable bin right next to my potatoes, onions and carrots ! What you can do is get some black or solid color plastic containers and place frozen prey inside. That way she won't see them and it won't be gross ! Do tell her first, I have the strange ability to drive women crazy, and don't want you in trouble !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

  17. #16
    100+ Post Member Truffs1178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Location
    Northumberland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Tell your Mom I've kept frozen feeder fish, krill, mussels, clams, bloodworms in my freezer and live black worms in the refrigerator side for decades and never had a problem. Also, keeo my NCs in the vegetable bin right next to my potatoes, onions and carrots ! What you can do is get some black or solid color plastic containers and place frozen prey inside. That way she won't see them and it won't be gross ! Do tell her first, I have the strange ability to drive women crazy, and don't want you in trouble !
    She wont listen so no point. She just thinks its gross. I dont know why though.

  18. #17
    100+ Post Member Truffs1178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Location
    Northumberland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    How big are the chicks?
    Tiny. Just one day old.

  19. #18
    100+ Post Member Truffs1178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Location
    Northumberland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Also this will be his first ever chick. I don't think it's necessary but do you dust chicks, mice etc?

  20. #19
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,656
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Locusts vs crickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    Also this will be his first ever chick. I don't think it's necessary but do you dust chicks, mice etc?
    Yes. Put a little calcium powder on the rump of the chick before giving them to him.


  21. #20
    100+ Post Member danfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Anyone know the nutritional value of a chick?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Locusts?
    By madseyden in forum Food, Feeders, Live, Frozen, Culturing, etc
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM
  2. How many crickets/locusts/worms would a baby bullfrog eat a day?
    By phoebe froggy in forum African Bullfrogs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 20th, 2011, 04:08 AM
  3. Diving for locusts....
    By spooky in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 13th, 2010, 03:04 PM
  4. Locusts, YUMMY!!!!
    By spooky in forum Food, Feeders, Live, Frozen, Culturing, etc
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
  5. Locusts
    By Ebony in forum General Discussion & News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 19th, 2009, 06:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •