Thread: Whites Tree Frog Lazy/Not Eating

Tim050

Default Whites Tree Frog Lazy/Not Eating

Hello I am new to this forum and have been searching all over the web for an answer to my question but I cannot seem to find one.

I have two WTFs in a Exo Terra terrarium with eco earth substrate, frog moss, two water bowls, hideouts, vines and plants. Their temp stays between 78-85f and humidity 50-60%. The bigger one of the two is acting fine eating and climbing around at night. They both are usually green during the day and change to brown at night or when held. The slightly smaller frog I have had for about a week and a half and he was doing just fine but the first time I fed them I had to seperate the two because the small one showed no interest at the time. He did fine in eating crickets when I moved him to a smaller ten gallon and then put him back. A few days later the smaller frog was not moving very much and will not eat even if I seperate or hold the cricket in front of it. I checked for signs of illness and my first thought was Red-Leg but it is still the normal white on its underside. It hasn't eaten for about a week and does not come out of its hideout even at night. If anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog Lazy/Not Eating

Hello Tim and welcome to the forum. If you could post some good pics of what you think the problem is someone will be able to help you. There is a lot of talent here ready to assist.

Kurt

How is its breathing? Put the frog up to your ear and have a listen. What you don't want to hear is crackling when it breathes, that will indicate a respiratory infection.

The frog could also be having trouble settling in. You might want to set it up in its own cage for now. Did you get both frogs at the same time or did you have the other one before getting this one?

Tim050

Ok so I held it up to my ear and did not hear any noises. I had the other frog (Lil Rocky) about a week before I got the smaller frog (Soda-Pop) and from the same pet store. They had him alone in a cage for a couple days before I bought him and when I brought him home I went ahead and put him in the 33g tank with Rocky. He seemed fine for a couple days until the one feeding day.

I'll post some pics here in a little.

Thanks,
    Tim

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Tim and welcome. I think you need to separate Soda-Pop from Lil Rocky (cute names by the way) straight away. When ever you introduce a new frog with your existing frog you need a period of isolation time so you can be sure you have acquired a healthy frog. I learnt the hard way unfortunately. While your frog is separated you can monitor the eating and so forth easier as well. As Kurt said sometimes frogs do take a while to settle into their new environment. If you find there is no improvement then i would suggest going to the vet. Good luck Tim

Tim050

Ok thanks a bunch for all the help. I would have posted some pics but the camera I was using is acting up so I'll get a different one this weekend to use. I will separate him and hopefully that will help.

Thanks again!
    Tim

Jazzy B Bunny

One of my whites hates being watched and won't move until he is sure you are out of the room! he is also scared of the feeding tongs! silly frog. I hope yours is ok

Tim050

Haha that's very interesting...I wonder if this one is anything like that...thanks! 8D

Thread Information