Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Species

chrisq3

Default Mixing Species

First of all I understand that everyone here is going to recommend not mixing species. noted. But I am going to ask if anyone houses any other species with milk frogs are which species might do well with them. I personally know an exotic vet and she said it is perfectly ok to mix species, they do it in zoos all the time. That being said it is really important to do your research. This is me doing my research. Any input would be appreciated. Really want some good opinions. thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Mixing Species

Its perfectly fine huh? I'm sure she get a lot of revisits after she gives that info to someone.

chrisq3

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Its perfectly fine huh? I'm sure she get a lot of revisits after she gives that info to someone.
    plenty of revisits. shes an excellent vet who breeds multiple species. Please don't post unless its something productive that answers my question. THANKS

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by chrisq3 View Post
    plenty of revisits. shes an excellent vet who breeds multiple species. Please don't post unless its something productive that answers my question. THANKS
    I will share my opinion. There is no beneficial reason to keep different species together. It has been scientifically proven that it will harm the frog. So sorry to say it but your vet was wrong.

chrisq3

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    I will share my opinion. There is no beneficial reason to keep different species together. It has been scientifically proven that it will harm the frog. So sorry to say it but your vet was wrong.
    noted. thanks for the expert opinion.

The Fluffy Injun

Default Mixing Species

On the other side of things, I have read that mixing is ok as long as you are using a huge enclosure. Personally, I err on the side of caution but to each their own. I'm not sure really what would go together but just wanted to add the bit about size. That is how zoos get away with multi-species habitat is space and size.

chrisq3

Quote Originally Posted by The Fluffy Injun View Post
    On the other side of things, I have read that mixing is ok as long as you are using a huge enclosure. Personally, I err on the side of caution but to each their own. I'm not sure really what would go together but just wanted to add the bit about size. That is how zoos get away with multi-species habitat is space and size.
    Thanks for the advice. Its definitely not something to be done lightly. have to consider habitat type. any possibly toxicity, size of enclosure and size of animal (so that they don't think each other is food). hahaha I really love milkys!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

A few reason to consider before mixing different frogs.

1. Most obvious would be size. A lot of frogs will eat anything they can fit into their mouth. Including other frogs.
    2. Behavior. Some frogs can be territorial.
    3. Closely related species can hybridize. Not a lot of people like hybrids.
    4. Toxins. Some frogs secrete toxins which may kill a different species.
    5. Depending on the source you might end up with wild caught frogs. They may even be from different parts of the world. A frog may be able to live perfectly fine with his parasites. However the other frog would not have built up any immunity to those same parasites. This can also be the case with captive born specimen. It really depends on where the frogs come from as to if they are parasite free.

I would not mix species unless they where closely related and/or from the same area. For example, I keep American Toads. I wouldn't see a problem also keeping Fowler's Toads in the same enclosure.

chrisq3

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    A few reason to consider before mixing different frogs.

1. Most obvious would be size. A lot of frogs will eat anything they can fit into their mouth. Including other frogs.
    2. Behavior. Some frogs can be territorial.
    3. Closely related species can hybridize. Not a lot of people like hybrids.
    4. Toxins. Some frogs secrete toxins which may kill a different species.
    5. Depending on the source you might end up with wild caught frogs. They may even be from different parts of the world. A frog may be able to live perfectly fine with his parasites. However the other frog would not have built up any immunity to those same parasites. This can also be the case with captive born specimen. It really depends on where the frogs come from as to if they are parasite free.

I would not mix species unless they where closely related and/or from the same area. For example, I keep American Toads. I wouldn't see a problem also keeping Fowler's Toads in the same enclosure.
    Thanks. I think you just created a pretty good check list to consider. With all that you just pointed out anything you can think of that can go with a milk frog? Any tree frogs that might go together? and lastly any tree frogs that might go with regular frogs/toads? or should I just research research research.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think you should do more research. I do not know a whole lot about tree frogs. The only tree frogs that I have right now are leptopelis uluguruensis.

chrisq3

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I think you should do more research. I do not know a whole lot about tree frogs. The only tree frogs that I have right now are leptopelis uluguruensis.
    That's an interesting one. seems rare. ok well Im going to hit the internet for the next couple weeks and see what I come up with. completely prepared to house separately or just obtain and single species but I want to see whats out there and do-able.

chrisq3

although im open to the idea. this is just RIDICULOUS!!

How to Build A Vivarium Videos | Pets How to's and ideas | Martha Stewart

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

chrisq3,

Joshes frogs has a GREAT care sheet for these wonderful frogs. They happen to be my favorite =) Used to be red eyes but I found a new found love for milks based on the crosshair eye pattern =P

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/bl...og-care-sheet/

This is your basic care sheet on these species that I follow. Only thing that wasn't added of importance was humidity at 75%.
    As far as the tadpoles they are probably the Hardest next to firebelly toad tadpoles. Red eye tree frogs and whites tree frogs are far easier tadpoles to raise. They do not transport well, however it can be done. I personally have never shipped tadpoles. I usually just raise them for the local shows I do.

One thing I would like to add is NEVER mix species of frogs. Yes I have done it in the past when I broke tanks and I was forced to make that bad decision. Why is it a problem you ask? Well each frogs has their own skin toxin. They absorb everything through their skin. As they do not drink water they sit in it and absorb it. So when a frog jumps from leaf to leave for piece of bark or glass....they leave their skin toxin behind. Although their skin toxins may not be harmful to us they are harmful to each other. So when they land on each others skin toxins they slowly start to poison each other with their own skin defenses, creating a slow death.

Second.. What species did you plan on mixing?

They also can be a carrier of a disease that will kill your other species in a short amount of time such as RANA VIRUS and CHYTRID FUNGUS. Please educate yourself with the following links.

Ranavirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Chytrid Fungus « Amphibian Ark

Your vet may have stated that because the species they were probably holding together were either proven negative for all possible diseases and / or treated for them. I have heard of experienced froggers hold species together that are local to each other like the GREEN TREE FROG and the GREY TREE FROG. These are located near each other and can most like inhabit the same geolocations with no negative impact such as BULL FROGS / GREEN FROGS/ SPRING PEEPERS.

My Advice: If the reason you want to mix species is because your short on funds or just want to save money please think for the health of your frogs before the needs of yourself. Frogs a fragile creatures and are the first to determine water problems that can be contracted by humans. Treat them with the respect they deserve. I give them more respect and care than I do my feline companion that actually sleeps with me every night.

I keep over 13 different species of frogs in my house and have about 20 enclosures a 3 are for emergency HOSPITAL quarantine tanks... (totaling 3 frogs racks) Its not an easy job but i love it so much!!! I hope you can admire it just as much as I do safely and securely. =)

Good luck if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Im more than happy to help =)

Corey
    Owner
    Oasis Reptiles (formally known as CJ's Frogs)

kahluafeeders

I'll be honest, I personally do not like Martha Stewart. I don't know her personally, but that video made me cringe. I think that was way too many reptiles for such a small cage and I hate aspen for high humidity creatures. It sucks the moisture out of the air.

Back on subject though, OP I don't know much about frogs, but as a person who has kept many many different species of animals, I can say that mixing is a very tough and dangerous past time. In most cases, even having a group of the same species could be a royal pain. I'm not just talking reptiles or amphibians either. I have three cats and it's a constant battle to keep the peace. Same goes for my dog with other dogs. Fish are the same way (though more commonly kept in mixed groups). If you don't carefully plan, you are about 99% likely to fail. If you do plan, you are about 80% likely to fail. Always be prepared to make emergency arrangements and always assume you'll come home to a dead, dying, or injured animal. If all animals in a mixed group are fine, then you've had a lucky day. I'm not saying that chances are the animals will hurt each other, just that you should assume they will. A successful mixed group of animals is a science and an art. Even highly experienced keepers will have trouble at one time or another.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by chrisq3 View Post
    although im open to the idea. this is just RIDICULOUS!!

How to Build A Vivarium Videos | Pets How to's and ideas | Martha Stewart
    WOW!!!!

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kahluafeeders View Post
    I'll be honest, I personally do not like Martha Stewart. I don't know her personally, but that video made me cringe.
    Your telling me... not a fan of that video either =(

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  redeyedtreefrogterrarium01.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  83.5 KB This is what a vivarium should look like....that other thing was just an aquarium tank with planted pots and mum. HAHA

19. This member thanks CJ PELCHER for this post:

chrisq3

Quote Originally Posted by CJ PELCHER View Post
    chrisq3,

Joshes frogs has a GREAT care sheet for these wonderful frogs. They happen to be my favorite =) Used to be red eyes but I found a new found love for milks based on the crosshair eye pattern =P

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/bl...og-care-sheet/

This is your basic care sheet on these species that I follow. Only thing that wasn't added of importance was humidity at 75%.
    As far as the tadpoles they are probably the Hardest next to firebelly toad tadpoles. Red eye tree frogs and whites tree frogs are far easier tadpoles to raise. They do not transport well, however it can be done. I personally have never shipped tadpoles. I usually just raise them for the local shows I do.

One thing I would like to add is NEVER mix species of frogs. Yes I have done it in the past when I broke tanks and I was forced to make that bad decision. Why is it a problem you ask? Well each frogs has their own skin toxin. They absorb everything through their skin. As they do not drink water they sit in it and absorb it. So when a frog jumps from leaf to leave for piece of bark or glass....they leave their skin toxin behind. Although their skin toxins may not be harmful to us they are harmful to each other. So when they land on each others skin toxins they slowly start to poison each other with their own skin defenses, creating a slow death.

Second.. What species did you plan on mixing?

They also can be a carrier of a disease that will kill your other species in a short amount of time such as RANA VIRUS and CHYTRID FUNGUS. Please educate yourself with the following links.

Ranavirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Chytrid Fungus « Amphibian Ark

Your vet may have stated that because the species they were probably holding together were either proven negative for all possible diseases and / or treated for them. I have heard of experienced froggers hold species together that are local to each other like the GREEN TREE FROG and the GREY TREE FROG. These are located near each other and can most like inhabit the same geolocations with no negative impact such as BULL FROGS / GREEN FROGS/ SPRING PEEPERS.

My Advice: If the reason you want to mix species is because your short on funds or just want to save money please think for the health of your frogs before the needs of yourself. Frogs a fragile creatures and are the first to determine water problems that can be contracted by humans. Treat them with the respect they deserve. I give them more respect and care than I do my feline companion that actually sleeps with me every night.

I keep over 13 different species of frogs in my house and have about 20 enclosures a 3 are for emergency HOSPITAL quarantine tanks... (totaling 3 frogs racks) Its not an easy job but i love it so much!!! I hope you can admire it just as much as I do safely and securely. =)

Good luck if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Im more than happy to help =)

Corey
    Owner
    Oasis Reptiles (formally known as CJ's Frogs)
    Kind of over the idea of it now. Not that it cannot be done but just because it seems like a hassle. Like you said, its probably more likely safer with local species such as peepers, greens/greys and leopard frogs. Gets a lot more questionable with exotics. I'm really into milks but I don't know. Still deciding. My goal is to get more exp with making and maintaining vivs so that I can work my way up to darts. I currently only have one viv that will have two cresteds in it once it is done cycling. Thanks for the advice.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Chrisq3,

Actually dart frogs are FAR less maintenance then tree frogs. Tree frogs needs are much more than the average dart frogs. At least mine are. I currently hold arareus/leucs/imitators/cintronella tincs. They are cheaper/less maintenance all around. Im pretty sure any frogger can tell you that that has both darts/tree frogs combined =)

chrisq3

So I've come to a decision!. I will not be keeping multiple species of animals in the same enclosure any time soon!! Seems like a more advanced endeavor and I most certainly do not have the appropriate experience. Maybe after running 3 or 4 Vivs for a few years but not now. Hope this gives some of you some piece of mind.

Ok so now I have a question: Should I get a Milk Frog or Clown Tree Frog first?!?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information