Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOTW - Aug 18 - Aug 24 2013 - Carlos (Mentat)

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default MOTW - Aug 18 - Aug 24 2013 - Carlos (Mentat)

Congratulations to this weeks Member of the Week!

Also - please send in the nominations.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

2. This member thanks Jenste for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: MOTW - Aug 18 - Aug 24 2013 - Carlos (Mentat)

Monday, tell us all about you! We know you obviously like amphibians, but we want to know about the rest of your life.

Details about you, your life, hobbies, families, past times, favorite colors, poems you have written etc etc....just use this post to brag/boast/bore us how you please.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Jen, you were up early ! ! First and foremost need to thank those who nominated me and supported it. I'm happy to have good friends in here! My life... could write a book about it ! Well, will skip over the small stuff.. and most everything in this life is small stuff!

Was born almost six decades ago in San Juan, close to Columbus second landing spot in the island of Puerto Rico. Went through a frail childhood with a weak immune system and suffering multiple allergies and asthma . A positive side was that, I learned very young about struggle (to breath) and not giving up. At home we were not allowed pets, so I kept free ranging pets in my yard. At varied times had a female anole that ate cooked rice from my hand, a big toad that “played” with me, and birds that drank sugared water from a bowl in the window sill. Oh and the native “coqui” frogs sang to me all through the night!

My first captive pets experience was a mess! At 8 traded some comics for 6 guppies a friend caught in a local brook and then proceeded to kill 5 the next day during their first water change . Bummer, had no idea chlorine in the tap would kill them. So got dechlorinator and kept the survivor in a glass bowl, my 1st captive pet. For my birthday that year got a 10 gal. tank set-up and an aquarium book, which started me on a long and rewarding hobby. Most money I earned then went to fish hobby and my bicycle... happy and simple times !

Fast forward to HS and by then had better health, so learned to swim and became a certified SCUBA diver. Most my free time during summers was spent snorkeling around the San Juan and Condado coasts. Also, got a part time job in a pet shop and had many “pets” in there including a 6 foot Boa that bit me . Socially I let my hair grow long (cut like Santana’s earlier years), listened to rock, and drove my HS principal crazy. The Vietnam conflict draft ends and off to college we go! Few years pass and graduated with a BS in Biology (Botany) and later a MS in Marine Biology (Phycology); both from the University of P.R. at Mayaguez. In college I experienced the ways of life away from home and had a crash course in professional social behavior. While studying also worked part time in college labs and at nights taught in a local HS too. Almost forgot, got married at 26... and divorced at 28 ouch ! Somewhere in those years also learned Martial Arts (Okinawan Goju Ryu) and went all the way to Brown Belt. Finished college as Reagan became president and there where no jobs in my field! Me and couple other classmates applied everywhere; including NOAA, CG, Navy, etc. So off to another adventure we go !

Placed well in the Navy Officer Program test and was offered everything but pilot (glasses since childhood). Reading the brochure with available programs, see that the Special Operations Community was in charge of the marine mammals and dived. Hum... sounded similar to my field, so without further knowledge of what SPECOPS did; signed on the dotted line and joined the USN. Off to Officer Candidate School “OCS” in Newport RI we go, and get into an intense military life training and also had to learn conversational English as fast as I could. Guess the best way to describe that experience was that I “survived” it .

Got commissioned an Ensign and then to Surface Warfare Officer School (SWOS) in the start of Newport’s frigid Winter, OMG it was cold ! Finished SWOS and off to Panama City FL for Dive School; where I ran, swam, and trained until pain was just a dull sensation... then we partied hard. Drown proof and bad to the bone, got certified as a Deep Sea Diver and a Diving Officer. Then off to sea to get my SWO qualifications. Following that, spent a year of “fun” at USN EOD school program; the most mentally strenuous training I’ve ever faced. Through my career had many jobs but mostly earned a reputation for being a natural manager, never giving up, and making problems go away. Also... got married again and sadly my lovely wife (RIP) died a year after . She was survived by her 8 year old boy and I became his guardian and raised him. Now he lives and works near DC and has been independent for a decade . Several years later tried the marriage thing again and that one ended in divorce ! My last duty station (a Commander then) was at the Pentagon and went thru the USS COLE and 9/11 events while there . As a result of that tour, lost the love for my job and decided to retire and do other things. Those 20 years in the USN SPECOPS community where a life in itself and an adventure the like of books and movies we see and read about. At the time of retirement was well traveled throughout the Pacific and Latin America and veteran of several wars and special operations. My areas of military expertise included EOD, Underwater Mine Countermeasures, and Anti-Terrorism .

With military career behind, decided to go back to school looking to become a Shiatsu Practitioner (Japanese bodywork using finger pressure on body’s energy meridians). Studied Chinese Medicine and Shiatsu for a year and graduated. Then passed the national board exam and became a Certified Massage Therapist and a Shiatsu Practitioner. After getting my license in VA, started a private practice and a few years later got to teach at a local massage school for a couple years. Today I’m retired and occasionally help out people with my Shiatsu and Body Energy knowledge on a volunteer basis.

Love my frogs, fish, and miss a 100+ orchid collection accumulated during college and Sasha (RIP), my first and only dog . Currently live with my pets in peace and harmony! Like to read, listen to music (all genres with non-violent lyrics), movies, dancing, and fast vehicles (have owned a couple street legal race cars). Now that reflexes are not what they used to be, drive a slow and safe Toyota FJ Cruiser and still own my last two motor bikes. That’s all folks !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice to "meet you" carlos! Thank you for serving our country faithfully for so many years. We are the land of the free because of our brave!

1.2.2 Agalychnis calidryas - Felix Felicis, Wall-E,Eva, Mike & Sull
    0.0.2 Canis lupus familiaris (Italian greyhounds) - Zaffira & Aurora
    1.0.0 My own personal prince charming (husband edition): Beau

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Lisa, you are very kind !

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, I head to work quite early!!

It was great getting to know more about you - one of the more interesting "MOTW" reads so far!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default MOTW - Aug 18 - Aug 24 2013 - Carlos (Mentat)

Hi Carlos! It's wonderful to finally learn more about the wise Mentat . You've sure had quite the history. It was a pleasure to read. Congrats on member of the week!

Can't wait to see some photos!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Tuesday, tell us about your amphibians. How you came to keep them, mistakes/learning curves, species kept, breedings, how you found Frog Forum etc....we heard enough about you on Monday, let us hear about them frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Hi Carlos! It's wonderful to finally learn more about the wise Mentat . You've sure had quite the history. It was a pleasure to read. Congrats on member of the week!

Can't wait to see some photos!
    Thank you Heather !

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    Tuesday, tell us about your amphibians. How you came to keep them, mistakes/learning curves, species kept, breedings, how you found Frog Forum etc....we heard enough about you on Monday, let us hear about them frogs!
    Hi Jen; here is the story of my babies! Other than my childhood free ranging Toad and Coqui’s, never really had an amphibian until late 2011. A local family owned pet store I do business with, had received 4-5 Pixies and they looked very cute . Started asking questions and when I mentioned it to my son, he searched the internet and sent me a link to your African Bullfrog Care Article. Read that and after a few days mussing over it, prepared a 10G tank and went back to store for one. Funny thing was, the reptile expert (guy knows a lot) told me the males would have larger ridges in the back, so I picked up the most “ridgy” one . Had lot of fun watching it grow like a weed and how interactive it was. Also, became a member here and started learning about frogs and toads too .

Few weeks later got me a 2 in. Ornate Pacman that resulted being a Green Cranwelli. Set that one in a foot square ExoTerra and although way more reclusive than the GABF, it ate and did well too. GABF grew very fast and moved into a 15... then a 20L. By early December it croaked and named it Stilgar (from a Dune novel character). His growth rate would spurt, then slow a bit, and spurt some more. By February the following year it was reaching 6 in. and was quite a character. Pacman grew too and was around 3.5 in. then. Started buying frog books and reading lots about them in the internet. Found them frogs as interesting as fish, a lifetime hobby for me .

Then an unexpected event changed my life last year as I suffered an Isquemic Transient Attack, commonly known as a TIA or warning stroke . It affected my cerebellum and there were some remaining issues with balance and grasp. Also, my Heart suffered a bit too . From 12 aquariums (including 4 salt water ones) and 2 frog enclosures went down to 3 aquariums and a betta tank because could not handle the collection anymore. Sadly got adoptive homes for Stilgar, the Pacman, and many of my fish and invertebrates.

So after initial excitement, things have gone back into some kind of stableness. Rarely loose my balance and stopped fumbling things in hands. Take my meds daily, follow diet, and drink coffee . Still, missed the frogs and this April got me a cute Strawberry Pineapple Pacman I named “Fresita.” Obviously became active in forum again and started helping out other African Bullfrog and Pacman owners in here .

As many of you do, wanted to have more frogs, a vivarium, etc. So got me one of those enclosure made by Tetra’s to set it up for a White’s; but turns out it’s sold as a 29G but in reality is like a 22G and kind of low for a White's . A local shop was trying to get me a related frog, Litorea aurea, (Golden and Green Bell frog) that might be a better fit for that tank. Appears they are seasonal because nothing has come up in a month or so. Would also like to get 2 Ornates, one really dark brown and red and another bright green with very little markings .

And that brings us to the present and my new frog challenge! A bit over a week ago was visiting a pet shop and they where re-doing the reptile/amphibian area. Start looking at the frogs containers piled up in a corner and see a little Pixie among the babies they usually retail. Talking to a friend attendant find out someone got it there a year or more ago. Apparently they wanted a GABF and this one stayed at 3 in. SVL so they traded it. Hum... a miniature Pixie ! That night stayed up late while cleaning up a 10G and set it up with false bottom, EcoEarth, Water dish, and a silk fern. Next day I picked it up and think the following day Jen wrote me about being the Member of the Week... cool !

My new little one has turned to be a challenge so far. Not because it’s sick, but because it has it’s ways and I’m learning them on a trial and error method . So far we have learned it does not like a solid substrate... not at all! Two days ago, took the whole tank apart while frog soaked on a Pedyalite solution and converted it into an aquatic set-up. Now we are talking! Pixie perked up and ate a large night crawler! Then it started moving around tank and checking things out. Yesterday ate another large night crawler dusted with CA/D3 from tongs. Still figuring this frog out, strangely; it appears to struggle while feeding doing little “fake” lounges and missing the food. Maybe it’s still a bit stressed with me or only eats from tongs. Will post couple pics tomorrow and have members try to guess the species and if male or female (I know but not telling).

Plans for the future are to set-up the 22 as an aquatic set-up with a power filter and some kind of water feature for the Pixie. Also, got me an ExoTerra small low and would like to build as a mini-vivarium. Once plants are doing good; will introduce a very small (around 1 in. as adult) frog/s. Any recommendations for inhabitants? If that vivarium works out good... more will follow! Thank you !

Nationality
    [Australia]

Great to learn a little more about you congratulations on member of the week!
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Striped marsh View Post
    Great to learn a little more about you congratulations on member of the week!
    Thank you Jared !

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Jen! Have medical appointment tomorrow morning so will jump the gun and post some pics now. First my new Pixie, lets see what members think is species and if M or F. Was told this frog is a over 1 year old (1.5?) and it's exactly 3 in. SVL. Sorry for pic quality but they were taken with my cellphone and one through the top mesh (needed the light).

And here is Fresita (Strawberry Pineapple) as a cute baby and a bigger juvenile.

Nationality
    [United States]

Some pics of Stilgar my first frog (male GABF) as a baby and growing to around 5 in. SVL.

And here is the second frog, a C. cranwelli Pacman.

Will upload some more stuff tomorrow afternoon .

N3XU5

Congrats Carlos,

Do you have any advice on how I can get motw.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by N3XU5 View Post
    Congrats Carlos,

Do you have any advice on how I can get motw.
    Keep posting in other areas of the forum - not spamming and not just to increase post count - but genuine, creative, encouraging, knowledgeable, helpful posts and in time I am sure some one will nominate you. Nominations are often in the form of "So-and-so gave great advice/really helped me out/put together an awesome tank and I want to know more about them/their methods" etc.

Carlos - your frogs are lovely! I don't mind you beating me to the punch! Hope your morning goes well!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello Carlos,
    Congrats on MOTW.
    These photos are beautiful.
    Your 'charges' look very happy and healthy.
    NOT SURPRISED Of course

TTYL, Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

BTW......my fav is Stilgar. Very handsome
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you Lynn and Mark! I'll answer your question soon Mark; want to make sure don't give you bad advice ! Yes, Lynn, Stilgar was a little playful monster and it was hard to take my tanks and enclosures down and get my pets adopted. Sold a lot of equipment too; but still got enough around for starting a few projects. Will be posting in the vivarium section and ask you guys for help with decor.

OK; just had some nice homemade chicken soup and ready to upload more pics. My left shoulder is unhappy because the Dr. gave it a shot with a big cocktails of steroids, painkillers, and anti-inflammatories. Physical Therapy starts next week, happy, happy, joy, joy !

A trio of P. terribilis that was for sale at a local store (such a temptation).

Green is nice, but I like these blue ones too:

SCF

I enjoyed the read Carlos, very interesting. Great pictures as well. Congrats on your new pyxie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information