Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried

Default Worried

K Gingerbread here is starting to worry me. She grabed a cricket tonight and spit it out because of the calcium dust. She isn't hopping around trying to catch them like last night. This will be the third night of not eating. The last time she ate was the day I got her(3 days ago). She ate a nice sized nightcrawler chunk. All husbandry is correct. I even have half the front side of her critter carrier blocked off. I need some quick advise. She is a littlebit bigger than a quarter. Since she is so little I know she needs to be fed daily. I know she is hungry.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hypnotic

Default Re: Worried

If your feeding with tongs, try to drop the food in there and leave it overnight.

Dumped a fair amount of undusted crickets in her enclosure. Going to leave them in there for a few hours. I didn't get a count, so I won't know if she ate or not.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

may be she got discouraged, I'd see how it'll go tonight and tomorrow offer nice piece of nightcrawler, since she ate one before
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

I think she might have grabbed a couple crickets not sure though. She is very shy unlike Mojo. The first night she gobbled up the nightcrawler piece like it was nothing. Then the second night nothing. Third night she went chasing small crickets but didn't catch any and gave up. And tonight she grabbed a medium sized cricket that had calcium and spit it out . If Gingerbread would show a tad bit more effort I know she wouldn't be hungry anymore. She is showing good signs of wanting to eat, but like Lija said she is giving up.

Hypnotic

Happend to my froglet too, it missed twice with tongs infront of it and gave up. It's dissapointing to see as an owner. Are we sure it's really discouraged or could it be the infamous lazy pacman syndrome?

I'm pretty sure its discouraged. The other night she hopping chasing crickets left and right but couldn't catch them, it was fun watching but she stopped chasing them. She is showing every sign of a hungry pacman. She nailed the medium sized cricket tonight dead on, but spit it out because the calcium dust. She does look nice and plump, she might have grabbed a couple tonight. After the calcium cricket I dumped a few undusted crickets in her enclosure and left the room.

Hypnotic

Well, technically it's the same thing in my opinion. It wouldn't surprise me if a young frog is tired after trying once or twice and decided to call it quits due to pure lazyness. This could offcourse also be seen as discouragement.
    My big girl din'd poop for 3 months when I first got her. (note, I din'd know it wassn't normal, I thought she would go when she needed to), even up till today, she only goes when I bathe her, so my money is on notoriously lazy.
    But don't worry, it will try again.

I kinda remeber leave four crickets in her enclosure earlier but only found three just now. Does this look like a hungry frog?

Hypnotic

Nope, a hungry frog would be staring at the crickets, unless it's staring at one not in the picture. I realise you want to take them out after a few hours, but leave them overnight. By the way, if you are removing them in a few hours, does this mean your currently feeding during day time? If you are, leave them in overnight because horned frogs become active then, it might be trying to sleep.
    I leave 3 crickets per night in with each of my babies, every morning I take 1-2 out.

Nope feeding starts at around 930 pm. Its 140 am here. Ima leave the three thats in the enclosure over night. Gingerbread was in a different location when i just checked her. I'm staying up for a bit since I'm do t have work tomorrow. On top of everything Mojo's red incandescent bulb Just burnt out. I attached his day bulb to the hygrotherm to get his night time temps good. I gotta get a new bulb tomorrow.

Hypnotic

Correction, 2 new bulbs. Always be prepared, don't be surprised if they burn out on the days the stores are closed and it will take you a day or two to get a new one. I've also learned this lesson but thank god not on a day when stores were closed.

Agreed! Will have a spare fron here on out.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Offer the next size down crickets. Those are a little big for Gingerbread and many frogs like children HATE their supplements and vitamins.

Also remove the hind legs from the crickets to make them easy prey.

Will do tonight. I have all sorts of cricket sizes. I think I'm going to hold off on vitamins and calcium till I get her eating stable. Like i said, she is definitely hungry. Gotta go for now. Need to go get a new red bulb.

I really like this frog but she seems to have a bit of an attitude. Reminds me of my four year old daughter a littlebit.

NialR35

Danfrog,

My ornate HATES his vitamins, I figured out its best to feed him dusted towards the end of his meal so he can at least get something in his stomach during dusting days. If I feed him a dusted prey first, he will think twice before catching the next one because it really turns him off. Unlike my pyxie who doesn't care about anything lol.

Another thing could be what Grif said, maybe they are too big. I also think maybe she just doesn't like them after trying night crawlers....has gingerbread pooped lately though?

I'd say try night crawlers and see if she eats, some frogs can get picky fast. Yet, remember the baby is still fairly new, I'm sure s/he will start eating soon again.

She was chasing little crickets the other night. It was awesome. I was thinking they were too small, so I offered a littlebit bigger ones last night. Anyways just got some more small crickets and some wax worms.
    I don't know too much about wax worms. They are okay more like a treat right? I'm hoping she will go for them.

First thing I did when I got her and set her enclosure up was place her in the water dish. She immediately pooped. It did take a littlewhile for her to get it all out. Then she ate a squirmy nightcrawler tail later that night (was trying tongs but accidently dropped the piece right infront of her and she grabbed it before i could pick it up agian). I'm hoping the waxworms will get her going for worms. As I really hate crickets.

Just fed Gingerbread! She ate four crickets! Her aim is off a bit though. She shoots her tongue too high. I removed all the back legs agian. She even went for the wax worm but she missed. She is soaking in her dish now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information