Thread: Emergency!!

MyfrogGatsby

Exclamation Emergency!!

OK, so the other night I went out herping with some friends and came upon a narrow mouth toad which is pretty rare in my area. So I took the thing home. Anyways, I had the dude set up in a cube terrarium with a temporary soil substrate. Annndd he's disappeared. I thought, well maybe he burrowed, but I gently sifted through the dirt in the enclosure and nada. Does anybody here have any ideas? If he did get out is there any way for me to lure him back or something?? PLEASE help me!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Emergency!!

How good have you sifted through the soil? When one of my toads was just a couple of inches long, he burrowed and I couldn't find him. I sifted and dug around in the dirt but couldn't find him. Thing is that I was actually pushing him around along with the dirt! He didn't even bother moving. I only found him after taking small handfuls of dirt out of the enclosure until it was nearly empty and I found the toad lol.

If he has really escaped the only thing you can really do is look all over the place for him. Start in the area he was being kept. Look under things. He might seek out small dark places.

Other than that you can leave out some shallow bowls of water for him. Also you may be able to attract him with crickets. If you have a clear cricket keeper or critter keeper, just place some crickets in it and then sit it in the floor overnight. But you will have to keep checking on it because he probably won't stay there once he figures out he can't get the crickets.

Someone else may have ideas for traps you could make. A common trap for outside is dig a hole and fill with crickets. Toads jump in but can't jump back out. But I doubt you can dig a hole in your house lol. But it might give you an idea to rig something up.

MyfrogGatsby

Thanks, he is really little and ive gone through the dirt by handfuls which i think is pretty thorough but he was so small!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If the toad did escape you can set out small dishes of water to attract the toad. Amphibians will seek water and damp areas like the bathroom.

It is ulikely that if he was small that he jumped out of the terrarium. I do not believe narrow mouthed toads have a high leap, but most frogs and toads when determined can do some impressive tasks!

Thread Information