Thread: Taking medicine

Pyxiefan001

Default Taking medicine

So here I finally reached the end of week two of my Pyxie's "hospitalization" to treat a nematode problem. I got her to take some vet prescribed Panacur a couple of weeks ago by sprinkling it on a clump of Samurai food. Today, around noon or so, however, she only made a half-hearted snap at the sprinkled clump and lost interest. And I dropped it in the water she was sitting in and ruined the whole thing .

I called the vet immediately afterward and told them I needed another dosage as soon as possible because I mucked up this one. I don't know long it usually takes to whip up a new dose, but I specifically told them to call me when they have it. . .and if I don't answer then keep trying. I was really hoping to dose her today, two weeks after the last one. But would it really make a difference if I'm a couple to a few days late, depending on when my vet gets the new dose in.

Also how would you advice force-feeding meds if Frog won't take them on its own? Before I gave up I attempted to force it to her - something I've never done and hope never have to - but it was like trying to open a tightly shut steel trap lol. And how would you avoid a bite when doing such a thing?

In the meantime I've been doing daily disinfectings of the hospital tank and its contents until the period is at last over. Though I intend to keep this pattern up until I can get another test done at least 2 weeks after the next dose. Neither one of us, Frog and I, are happy about it, but I know it's for the best. She can't just live with nematodes surely.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Taking medicine

Heather made a great video on how to force-feed a frog when I was having trouble with mine: Feeding Twigs - YouTube
    If you're dusting food in the meds, go ahead and give force-feeding a go- at least if you're sure she won't take the meds any other way. Just remember to be really gentle, so you don't break her jaw. Some people use the (clean) edge of a credit card or a guitar pick to get their mouths open.

If dragons were real I'd totally be in on that...
    1 German Shepherd X- Badger

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Well it will not be easy to force feed a Pyxi. Their jaws are VERY powerful. If you absolutely had to force feed it would take two people. One to hold the frog and one to pry the frog's mouth open. It would not be easy to find something to pry their mouth open with that is both large enough that the frog cannot possibly swallow and strong enough that it doesn't break.

Nationality
    [Canada]

done that interesting experience, and mine was a 3,5" back then.... you need a helper for sure! one is opening a mouth ( trying to) and another is on stand by with syringe.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    done that interesting experience, and mine was a 3,5" back then.... you need a helper for sure! one is opening a mouth ( trying to) and another is on stand by with syringe.
    I think you mean three people then Lol! Someone has got to hold the frog down Lmao!!

Nationality
    [United States]

For a larger ABF I'm thinking one of those large silicone serving spoons is a good tool to try. It has a handle, it's hard enough to do the prying but at the same time its a bit flexible to prevent mouth damage. Do not try this alone, you need 2-3 people to do this safely .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Pyxiefan001

Thanks everyone but I think I'll still see if she eat it on her own. Shouldn't be that difficult. . .just entice her with a worm but give her the med-laced clump instead.

No one's still not answered my principal concern of getting the next dose in later than planned.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I think you mean three people then Lol! Someone has got to hold the frog down Lmao!!
    when u put it this way lol i think 4 people would be optimal - the forth one will be serving drinks for the other 3 when ( if ) they done. i still remember well too clearly how i did it with a baby, now if that is 7-8" male.... Pyxiefan may be you'll convince the guy to eat on his own?
    edit - sorry haven't noticed the qs, it is ok, day here or there won't make big difference if the frog was in a hospital set up and you were disinfecting it every day. i really hope this time you guys will be done with it.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information