Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends pacman frog - help needed again

Hypnotic

Default Friends pacman frog - help needed again

My friends cranwelli is not eating again, I've told her I suspect the heat is the culprit, she keeps it unheated at night and tells me the temps are a steady 24 at night but he latest she can check is 00.00AM, so I suspect the temps might be dropping further during the night.
    I've advised her to attach an UTH to the side and when I just left her house, it looked like a good 26-27 degrees and I expect a drop of 1-2 degrees, just like here during the coldest part of night.
    She has not handled him more then necessary.
    Also, he hassn't eaten in 7 days and not pooped in 3 weeks, so tomorrow I'l be giving him a honey bath, followed by a regular bath (30 mins each I assume?) and then I'l be trying to tong feed him locusts afterwards. (she normally feeds adult crickets since he shows more of a feeding response to them, but lately he hassn't. Looking at his eye width and size, I can say crickets are too damn small.

If anyone has any other advice, please tell me, because if he's not doing better in a week or 2, I've agreed to house him and take care of him.
    I really hope we can avoid housing him here, not that I mind, but I know it would break her heart.

Note: We recently had a heatwave and Buddah seemed to be doing better during this time. This also seemed like a red flag to me all pointing towards temperatures.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would soak in the morning so if it does poop it'll be hungry at night. Try and get the temps up to normal amd stable levels. I pull my frog from his soak tub as soon as he is done pooping, and then let him soak for another tens mins in his rinse tub. Then I put him back in his enclosure.

Gently feel the right side of the frogs stomach. If you feel something kinda hard the frog probably has to poop.

Hypnotic

Default Re: Friends pacman frog - help needed again

Well, I can't check on that right now, I decided not to touch him anymore then needed when I saw him tonight, wich was not at all. He looks round and healthy, I'm not sure about an adult male's size though, I'd estimate him at 7-8 cm's in length and he should be fully grown, but I will take a accurate measurement tomorrow.
    Also, last time she gave him a normal bath, and he din'd poop. Since then he has eaten and not pooped. So we can pretty much assume for sure he has to go.
    The earlyest I can get to her is around noon, so I'l do the bath then and take some locusts over for her to feed at night.

TextualDeath

Hello , How big and fat is your frog?i have a Pacman frog that is 5 inches long and 5 inches wide when not full .she eats perhaps 1 time every month to 2 months .They will hold the food in their belly's for a long time . Do not worry if they don't use the bathroom or don't eat and they have a tendency to hibernate when it is not humid enough or a bit chilly in the tank .What have you been feeding it ?

Hypnotic

Well, it's my friends frog, she has fed him locusts in the beginning but switched to large crickets, wich I always said was a bad idea. She also feeds too much, the frog is an adult and is fed every 2 days.
    But I'm make sure she switches to a twice a week schedule.
    We are supposed to keep the humidity up and also the temperature to avoid hibernation. Hibernating is never good unless planned.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    Well, it's my friends frog, she has fed him locusts in the beginning but switched to large crickets, wich I always said was a bad idea. She also feeds too much, the frog is an adult and is fed every 2 days.
    We are supposed to keep the humidity up and also the temperature to avoid hibernation. Hibernating is never good unless planned.
    It is ok to offer more frequent small meals throughout the week or one large meal per week. This is not offering too much, but if the frog refuses food then your friend should not offer food for a few days or try a new prey item.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by TextualDeath View Post
    Hello , How big and fat is your frog?i have a Pacman frog that is 5 inches long and 5 inches wide when not full .she eats perhaps 1 time every month to 2 months .They will hold the food in their belly's for a long time . Do not worry if they don't use the bathroom or don't eat and they have a tendency to hibernate when it is not humid enough or a bit chilly in the tank .What have you been feeding it ?
    it is not ok. for adults it is time to worry a lot if they hold their food in a system for 2 weeks, let alone months or not eating or hibernating(if you don't do it properly). it has nothing to do with being big or fat.

THAT IS NOT OK PEOPLE!

..... urg!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic View Post
    you know it worries me a lot, not eating and not pooping for 3 weeks, you're on a right track with honey baths, make sure they're warm, feel right and left side, while in a bath gently massage his left (looking from a top when a frog faces away from you), just a little bit very gently massage cloaca too( go around just a few times, very very gently) , check if it swollen, can you take pic of a frog from top? it is bloated probably too.

keeping on cricket diet and locusts, both have high chitin content and can be a cause of impaction if fed exclusively. right now you need to make sure he is all right, pooped and start eating again. your husbandry has to be spot on. honestly if i were you I'd take him in until he is better and after have a good chat with your friend about husbandry and feeding pacman frogs

7-8cm is about 3" - that is juvenile male size, he should be eating every day, unless he wants breaks between feedings and variety of foods, supplemented accordingly.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Hypnotic

Well, my eye measurements might be off, I'l be sure to take his exact measurements tomorrow. I'l scout the local fishing stores tomorrow and try to find a decent place that sells nightcrawlers. None of our local petshops offer it and to be perfectly honest, I feel paranoid buying from a fishing store.

Nationality
    [Canada]

don't be, fishing store will sell same stuff, just make sure it is dye free, but i personally have never seen or heard of dyed nightcrawlers, you're safe here.

13. This member thanks Lija for this post:

TextualDeath

not to argue but all frogs are different and any animal that stores fat like a pacman can go a very long time without eating . the only time to worry is if it is emaciated or dehydrated.My frog is just fine and she has never pooped every 2 days . she has from the very beginning digested practically everything and pooped only a good week or 2 after eating then waits another 2 weeks to eat. She has a very humid tank ( i use a Zoo Med repitfogger which i wired into a humdistat and keep her at 70 percent humidity . she also has a under tank zoo med heater , and a very nice 3 inch deep water bowl which she loves .I'm not saying every frog is like my pacman Sam but i am saying your pet will decide when it is hungry or not .She is very healthy .

Nationality
    [Canada]

Text absolutely! every one of them is different, you keep yours in proper conditions, but you said before she goes every 2 month, that is a bit different from 2 weeks as well there is a difference when a frog is in experienced keepers hands when we know how a healthy frog looks like and when you need to worry.
    the goal here is to keep a frog in proper conditions all year round, feed proper food then a frog will be all right, however as many of us know even that might not be enough. That is why it is so important to teach others proper way of doing things, with frogs things can go downhill very fast. Not eating and pooping for 2 weeks for an adult pacman frog living in spot on conditions is something to worry about, but I'm not saying it is time to panic yet. for a baby - cut that time to a week or even less depending on a size and condition of a frog, that is when you need to go for noninvasive things like nice warm bath and keep an eye closely. If everything seems to be all right may be she needs to have a bit change in a diet ( more nightcrawlers) to help her go more often, constant constipation ( pooping every 2 week or more on a regular basis) may lead to colon problems as time goes by. One of the worst case scenarios - colon will get enlarged this will lead to bacterial infection and that might kill your frog in a matter of 2 days ( or less) out of dehydration despite spot on conditions including humidity and water bowl preset, basically it might be dead before you realize what is happening. I lost one of my geckos this way, i saw her showing slight signs of dehydration in the morning, despite hydration therapy for the whole day she was gone in pm, necropsy confirmed my suspicions. Frogs are more sensitive to different illnesses, so that time might be even shorter. not to scare anyone, just want you guys to look seriously at anything out of ordinary.

Ah Lija beat me to it. @Textualdeath I'm not criticizing or anything but something seems wrong with your frog. If you could start a seperate post with the trouble in the enclosure questions (which are stickied at the top of these forums) we can help and get your frog back on track.

Hypnotic

Sorry guys, no update yet. I spent more time then I wanted remoddeling my bar cabinet to make room for exo-terras and my friend who's a nurse got an emergency call, so we are doing it tomorrow.
    Note though, we did check temps and currently it's 25-26 at night at 28-29 during the day, so seems to be going as planned. She also stated that he spent alot more time unburrowed today, but we are definately keeping a close eye on him and will soak him tomorrow.

TextualDeath

nah shes fine she just ate a mouse .i cleaned her tank out some nice warm moist moss in she perked all up and i gave her a mid sized mouse . she went for it right off and gobbled it down. shes now basking in the warm moss after a nice bath . Id say she just eats when she wants to.

TextualDeath

she has at times gone for almost 2 months but she was also inactive hence the hibernating thing. but today i changed out her moss and put in some nice warm wet new stuff . i added a mouse and she ate it right off and she took a bath in her dish . now shes settled in the mos and is content . She is huge and she could easily eat 2 full grown mice. her appetites though have grown less since she became full grown and i am giving her smaller mice rather the large adults she was accustomed to .Id rather give her 2 small ones so she can digest a bit better.There was a time she was wolfing down 1 a week.I seriously think a mate would do her good . i believe shes perhaps egg bound .

@Textualdeath. No you don't know it right now, but your hurting your frog. @Hypnotic. kk cool just keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by TextualDeath View Post
    she has at times gone for almost 2 months but she was also inactive hence the hibernating thing. but today i changed out her moss and put in some nice warm wet new stuff . i added a mouse and she ate it right off and she took a bath in her dish . now shes settled in the mos and is content . She is huge and she could easily eat 2 full grown mice. her appetites though have grown less since she became full grown and i am giving her smaller mice rather the large adults she was accustomed to .Id rather give her 2 small ones so she can digest a bit better.There was a time she was wolfing down 1 a week.I seriously think a mate would do her good . i believe shes perhaps egg bound .
    A friend for a pacman frog probably isn't a good idea because if one is bigger than the other the smaller one may become lunch for the other. Also a mouse a week probably isn't to healthy for the frog.

TextualDeath

i am surprised to hear you claim that . My frog is in fine condition and as healthy as they come.As i hand raise the mice i feed her I feed the mice lettuce , crackers, cheese, peanut butter, and grains .their bones have a lot of calcium in them , that's about as gut loaded as you can get .FYI she will not eat crickets anymore nor does she care for worms . She will actively pursue a mouse giving her exercise . She gets humidified every day and lives in soft moss store bought not wild. i am no novice to raising reptiles or amphibians and my 50 gallon terrarium is large enough to house another one in there with a an easy way of keeping them separate with a simple modification to my tank but yet i can still allow them to communicate with each other and to coexist peacefully.I am not hurting my frog.shes a verey healthy large adult pacman frog that i raised form the size of a nickle.but ty for you opinion we are all entitled to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information