Thread: Red Eyed Tree Frog Help

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Red Eyed Tree Frog Help

About a month ago, I purchased 4 red eyed tree frogs. I have a 12x12x18 zoo med terrarium with coco husk, moss, water dish, fake orchid, and live bromeliad. I live in south florida, so the day temperature is easily 77 inside the house. At night, the temperature drops to 68.

I originally put all the frogs in the same tank and noticed that they were not eating. I seperated the frogs and put two in a 10 gallon tank and the left the other two in the terrarium. When I cleaned the terrarium, I noticed that I was misting too much, and the coco husk and moss were very damp. When I would come home from work, the hygrometer would show humidity as low as 60% even though the coco husk and moss were drenched in water. My little ones started passing away shortly after.

I don't know what I did wrong. I really like RETF, and was very happy to have them. I got so sad when the first little one died. I immediately searched online, and found that the frogs suffer from bacterial and parasitic infections, which can only be treated with antibiotics. I searched for the medications, but they are by prescription. There aren't any over the counter medications that can treat the possible infections.

I don't know what I need to change to get the frogs to live long healthy lives. I really want to have them as pets, but I can't have them if I don't have the right conditions for them.

Everyone tells me that I have a proper setup, but my frogs died, so I must not have the setup done correctly. Any suggestions, recommendations, and even criticism is appreciated. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

YourSoJelly

Default Red Eyed Tree Frog Help

If you go to the RETF care sheet, that should elaborate on every aspect of RETF care.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog Help

Quote Originally Posted by YourSoJelly View Post
    If you go to the Red-Eyed Leaf Frog care sheet, that should elaborate on every aspect of Red-Eyed Leaf Frog care.
    Thanks.

I read through the article and the only thing that I see that I did not do is seperate the frogs. I bought 2 from a guy on craigslist that was selling his collection and I got another two at a pet shop. When i asked the guys at the pet shop wether they were captive bred, he said they were long term captive and told me it really did not matter since they were held long term. The two that i got at the pet shop had nose rub. I imagine that at least one of the frogs had a virus. Unfortunately, without metronidazole, fenbendazole, or Metronidazole (Flagyl), or Fenbendazole (Panacur) I could not do anything.

It seems like the first thing I need to do when I get a frog, is go to the vet to check it and hopefully get these medications prescribed for them.

The other thing that I did was mist with spring water. I used spring water for the dish and for the misting.

Thread Information