Thread: New to the wide world of ADF

Arbee

Default New to the wide world of ADF

I have a 75 gallon tank with peaceful community fish. A couple of weeks ago my daughter and hubby came home with 3 ADFs. In an effort to keep them alive I have been doing a fair amount of research on them. I have been using a baster and feeding them bloodworms every 2 days. WOW do they catch on quick as to where food comes from!! I was reading that I really should be feeding them some pellets, but that was a big failure today. I couldn't use the baster because the pellets are heavy and fall out the end. So I tried hand feeding them, and they must think I am tastier than the pellets. I may have gotten two to eat one each...but I am not sure. Is it a must for them to have pellets? Is there another good baster food to try along with bloodworms? I really don't want them to die, I have grown rather fond of them! Even after this short time they swim to the front of the tank if I put my face near it. I would like to think its love....but no, its bloodworms that bring all the ...frogs to the yard (bad bad music quote, I must get to bed!) lol

thanks for any info you can give.

Rebecca
    Cincinnati Ohio

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome Rebecca, congrats on your new frogs .

Hopefully a few ADF frog owners will hop in to help. I've never had any myself.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

AlitaConejita

So I'm new to ADFs as well. There is a care sheet on this site for ADFs that speaks to their needs. From what I've read, most people seem to be against pellets... And blood worms should only be a treat?

I give mine pellets since that's what they were eating at the pet shop. I put a little plate in a clear area of the aquarium and use a turkey baster. I put the pellets in the mouth of the baster (without water) and then put it in the water over the plate and slowly move it down to the plate. The pellets that fall out before reaching the plate, fall into the plate or near it (since I keep that area bear, it easy to pick up the pellets they don't eat with the baster).

Mentat recommended leaving the pellets for only 5 minutes to determine how much to give them (see how many they eat in those 5 minutes).

Thread Information