Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat

Default Heat

I need a new thermometer

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah I agree. They are very important. On top of my hygrotherm I have a hand held laser thermometer too. Its pretty cool and I can get the temps anywhere in the enclosure.

Default Heat

Is that expensive, how does it work. I imagine it being sort of a laser pointer and where the laser is tell you the temperature.

They are about twenty dollars at home depot. And you are dead on with the description.

Default Heat

He burrowed with his head sticking iut

Ah ok. Thats good then.

Pyxiefan001

Default Re: Heat

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    I am afraid i am not providing enough heat for my frog. My strip thermometer has stopped working and it feels cold in there. I use a 13 watt UVB to heat the tank. I also have a 75 watt basking UVB bulb and a 60 watt daylight UVB bulb with me. Do they even require UVB? I'd not, can I just use a regular lightbulb that i can find in my house? Although i think it is cold, he is always burrowing to the bottom at the point that i can see him.
    I would get rid of the UVB lights, it's not necessary, UV light, and replace them with 50 watt infrareds. Get one of those clamp lamps with a dimmer (or buy one from a hardware store or order online) For day/night cycles, just use a low wattage (like 13 or so W) house bulb. I'd also get a digital thermometer. Those strips are garbage. Day temps should be low 80s during the day, and high 70s at night.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

you don't need UVB, regular house lamps will provide light but not heat, heat mats, cables - I've tried them all the only thing that works is infrared lamp, heatmats and cables are not heating enough for me. and you MUST have a proper thermometer. Pyxiefan is spot on!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I've stated this many times. Pyxiefan and Lija are right. You do NOT NEED UVB! It is unnecessary. UVA light is fine for nonalbino frogs, but any and all UVB are unncecessary. Lose the UVB bulbs. These are nocturnal frogs and do NOT get much if any exposure to UVB radiation.

Go with infrared bulbs and add a UTH appropriately sized for the enclosure you are using to house your frog.

Definitely get a digital Temp/Hygrometer gauge. They are far more accurate.

Default Heat

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I've stated this many times. Pyxiefan and Lija are right. You do NOT NEED UVB! It is unnecessary. UVA light is fine for nonalbino frogs, but any and all UVB are unncecessary. Lose the UVB bulbs. These are nocturnal frogs and do NOT get much if any exposure to UVB radiation.

Go with infrared bulbs and add a UVB appropriately sized for the enclosure you are using to house your frog.

Definitely get a digital Temp/Hygrometer gauge. They are far more accurate.
    Well I stopped with the UVB already. I'm using a regular fluorescent bulb. I have an infrared which is 60 watts, but it hurts my eyes when I look at it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    Well I stopped with the UVB already. I'm using a regular fluorescent bulb. I have an infrared which is 60 watts, but it hurts my eyes when I look at it.
    You need a lamp with a dimmer switch like Fluker's 5.5" or 8.5" Clamp Lamp with dimmer. The dimmer will allow you to reduce the amount of heat and light output of the bulb so you can tweak temps. No need to use it on full power.

Note that the fluorescent cannot be used with tbe incandescent lamp with dimmer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information