Thread: RETF tank setup

redeyedtreefrog123451

Cool RETF tank setup

I'm getting one baby I will have a 10 gal with a vine and exo coconut soil but any ideas for non alive plants good for them I don't want to go over the top expensive but a good setup for him/her

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

AnimalEnthusiast

Default Re: RETF tank setup

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog123451 View Post
    I'm getting one baby I will have a 10 gal with a vine and exo coconut soil but any ideas for non alive plants good for them I don't want to go over the top expensive but a good setup for him/her
    I would suggest anything from Exo-Terra. Also, anything that your RETF can climb on easily (without getting injured, of course) would be appreciated. Anything with broad leaves, with enough strength to support its weight would be something it would likely enjoy sitting on. The various kinds of flexible vines are pretty neat, and you can do a lot of things with them, too.

AnimalEnthusiast

So, did you get your RETF baby yet? I would like to see some pictures of your setup, if you feel like posting them.

BArnold

When I first got my red eyes I had very high ambitions and experimented a lot because I really wanted a trickling rainfall system, which I ended up experimenting with until I got it right. I find that the artificial silk plants that hang on the glass are the best. I get nervous the plastic ones will cut them, but I do have one, make sure to just check for sharp pieces or wires that may stick out. I tuck the ends of the silk plants behind the styrofoam background that way they form a canopy-like feel along the top. They love jumping up there and hanging out in the canopy while it rains. I originally had some moss but took it out because I noticed random bugs. I also have live plants in the water. They slept on them a lot before I had all the cover up top.
    This is my original design before the rainfall.
    Name:  1654421_726322014078717_320702716_n.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  88.1 KB

And my current one
    Name:  20140513_205510.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  78.4 KB
    Not a very good picture, and I have to get a different piece of wood because it turns the water brown, but they love it.

I also had coconut fiber substrate at one point when I was trying to make the makeshift rainfall. It was nice because I could just stick the crickets in there and be done, instead of putting a few at a time to make sure they don't drown. But from what I hear babies don't need much, just a paper towel and some plants and water until they get older. Someday I would like to have a live plant background but I don't know how to do it. I got my frogs in Feb and they are great.

Thread Information