Thread: First Time Frog Mom With Questions

teenfrogmom

Default First Time Frog Mom With Questions

I am a happy owner of two pacific tree frogs. The first, a male named Pluto, I rescued from a blueberry picking machine a year ago, and the second, a female, my dad just caught for me today. I'd love to put them together to give Pluto some companionship, but I have a few concerns.

Is there any risk of aggression between a male and female?
    How much space is enough for the two of them?
    Does my male frog even want a girlfrog friend?

Also I'm a little worried because Pluto stopped doing deep, loud croaks about six months ago and only does occasional, little, very quiet chirps. Should I be worried (I am)? I thought maybe he had given up hopes of attracting a woman and that a girl frog would renew his vigor.
    Thanks!

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: First Time Frog Mom With Questions

Welcome to the Frog Forum!

Ah, the Pacific Chorus frog (Pseudacris Regilla) is one of my favorite species of frogs . They're adorable, easy to keep, have very beautiful colorations, and quite interesting personalities.

As for your question, I've never had one show of aggression between my two Males, Levi and Thermidor, so I'm pretty sure, as long as enough space is provided and they each have their own little hide-out, that they'll be fine living with each other.

As for space, I'd say a 5 Gallon minimum, but preferably a 10-15-20 Gallon High tank.

To answer both your third question and your concern, Pacific Chorus frogs only frequently call during their breeding season, which I believe can range from early Spring to early Summer. For the rest of the year they'll only occasionally make quiet chirps, like you've described. I know, because that's exactly how it is with my Pacific Chorus frogs, currently.

One thing I do really want to warn you on is to make sure the lid for their tank is secure. These frogs are master escape artists, and if they escape it typically doesn't end well. I lost my beautifully colored male, Chrome, in this way.

Just for fun, here's some photos of my Pacific Chorus frogs:

A nice shot of one of Levi.
    Name:  DSCF2941.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  51.5 KB
    Here's a good photo of Thermidor, sitting at the top of the fake vines, his throat puffed out a bit.
    Name:  DSCF2964.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  68.4 KB
    A photo of my beloved, beautifully colored male Chrome sitting in the same spot as Thermidor is in the last photo. (RIP)
    Name:  934045_523153711059183_1603430499_n.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  43.6 KB
    A quick photo of Levi and Thermidor together. I apoligize for the blurry-ness of the photo, I'm notorious for taking blurry and unclear shots! Also, as Thermidor grew (I got him as a froglet) his coloration changed. Right now, he is is a khaky color, whilst in this photo he is a light green.
    Name:  Levi and Thermidor.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  52.4 KB
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

teenfrogmom

Thanks!
    I've had my own experiences with my little escape artist, so I appreciate a tight-fitting lid.
    You have beautiful frogs! And they look very happy too.
    My family has now presented me with yet another frog, so I'm stuck in a horrible decision between a beautiful female and a little green froglet. I'm leaning towards the female frog, because she seems to have a lot of personality and I worry about the little guy getting picked or something.

Good luck with your frog keeping!
    Thanks for all the info!

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

No problem helping other people is what we do here.

Thanks, and I agree, they are truly beautiful. Sorry that the photos are a bit unclear, I'm notorious for taking blurry and unclear photographs!

Well, I think you could take the both of them, as long as you've got a big enough tank the little green froglet is bigger then the size of the larger frogs mouths. I'm not sure about Pacific Chorus frogs but I do know some frogs will eat smaller frogs of their own species. But, the choice is yours.

Thanks, and once again, no problem! Glad to help another Pacific Chorus frog keeper
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! Here is an excellent article that discusses their care Frog Forum - Pacific Chorus Frog. Although social, do agree with Caspian in that many frogs will make a meal of any frog that fits in their mouth. So beware with little froglet and good luck with the pair !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

teenfrogmom

Thanks!
    It says 20 gallons is good for five frogs so I feel like 10 gallons might be sufficient for three? I'm redoing the tank so it'll be pretty spiffy and have plenty of hiding spaces. It is turn out well enough I'll post a picture
    Thanks for all the info!

Thread Information