Thread: Plastic Bins for caging/swimming pool safe?

Pheathers

Default Plastic Bins for caging/swimming pool safe?

Hello,

I know some people use storage bins to house their frogs but I'm concerned about their safety. Has anyone ever had issues? I know many plastics have toxic compounds and many of these storage containers aren't "food grade" plastics. Also, the idea of using a heating source to warm these enclosures sounds even riskier. Not to mention using these for swimming pools.
    I'd like to know what people think, because I'd like to house my pixie in a bigger cage and glass tanks are so cumbersome, expensive, and breakable.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Plastic Bins for caging/swimming pool safe?

Plastics usually only release the toxic fumes when heated to a particular temp. Many of the totes you see people using are a very thick strong plastic and can be heated without worry of them melting. Most people just use a UTH(Under Tank Heater) on those, but if you have a warm enough room sometimes heat is not needed, but the room temp must meet the frog's requirements.

Glass tanks can be a pain, but when it comes to creating the right environment it is the best way to go. You can produce an environment with microclimates within the tank due to the temp of the glass changing with ambient air temps outside of the tank. Adding heat sources to the tank also provide further gradients within the tank. I don't like to use the large totes, because I just feel their ugly and the only way to see your animal is to remove the lid which in turn disturbs it.

I have many glass tanks and even a Vision Rack system. 15 quart tubs in the rack and it is heated with heat cable which is controled by a thermostat. The tubs are covered with a background all around except for the front so light can shine in for their day/night cycle and so I can observe my animals without disturbing them.

The choice is yours. The totes are cheaper, but are ugly and have few options and the tanks can be expensive, but have the potential to provide a better home. Rack systems are expensive and are designed to house multiple animals, but work well when heated and the climate is controled.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Kelvin

I don't recommend those plastic bins because they are not as safe for frogs as their other materials because some of them are really good for their growth and health.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Plastic, totally safe! Glass, totally safe! Pixie frog eating a snake, Priceless!!!

Thread Information