Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Ornate Pacman Frog owner: my concerns/ questions

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Ornate Pacman Frog owner: my concerns/ questions

if he is calling he is a boy, congrats!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by agdevils30 View Post
    Nialr35- I was thinking about getting one of those natural photo print background for the back and for the humidity situation I cut out tin foil and put it on the top of my tank with holes big enough for both lights and of course have holes punctured all around the foil for air to get in and out.
    Yea I pretty much do the same thing and it really helps with temps and humidity.

agdevils30

yeah I thought he was a boy, thanks for the confirmation though! and NialR35 even with it though the humidity seems to stay between 65 & 75%, but before it was around 55 to 65%. think if I spray 3 times a day it should be more then perfect

NialR35

yeah I thought he was a boy, thanks for the confirmation though! and NialR35 even with it though the humidity seems to stay between 65 & 75%, but before it was around 55 to 65%. think if I spray 3 times a day it should be more then perfect

Then in that case you might have to spray twice per day; always try to keep it at 80% or around there. Spray against the glass and on the tank furniture. Try NOT to have the lamp directly on top of the water because it will evaporate. I don't mind misting myself, saves me some bucks but will probably eventually get a repti fogger with a hydrotherm.

If it croaks at night its most likely a boy, when you can try to check for nuptial pads too. Maybe he is smaller and that is normal for males. Females are larger in pacs.

agdevils30

yeah im thinking about eventually getting a repti fogger too. I keep my water dish away from the light as well. humidity just seems to always stick around 70% ill work on getting that up

Did you add more substrate yet? I recommend enough so that your frog can atleast cover himself completely.

agdevils30

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Did you add more substrate yet? I recommend enough so that your frog can atleast cover himself completely.
    Yes I did, I only added a little more, but enough to where he could cover himself fully if he pleased

Nationality
    [Canada]

what kind of hydrometer are you using? with close to fully covered top in very low air humidity, humidity in a tank should be at least 80 , most of the time even more and you got to uncover top some. so I'm thinking may be your hydrometer is off.
    i live in about 20-30% humidity and when top is covered 5/6 a fogger almost never is turning on in some tanks i had to go with less top coverage, as it was too much. I'm trying to get to the point of spraying 1-2xday or fogger equivalent.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

agdevils30

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    what kind of hydrometer are you using? with close to fully covered top in very low air humidity, humidity in a tank should be at least 80 , most of the time even more and you got to uncover top some. so I'm thinking may be your hydrometer is off.
    i live in about 20-30% humidity and when top is covered 5/6 a fogger almost never is turning on in some tanks i had to go with less top coverage, as it was too much. I'm trying to get to the point of spraying 1-2xday or fogger equivalent.
    I don't have a fogger, and just a regular humidity reader (doesn't require batteries) cant seem to get it too break past 70%. Name:  kk.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  115.3 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

analog hydrometers and thermometers like yours are pretty much a garbage, they almost never show the real parameters, that is why no matter what you do it shows 70max. get digital and place a probe in center of a back wall about 1.5" above the substrate and not by the water bowl for the most accurate readings.

12. This member thanks Lija for this post:

NialR35

I don't have a fogger, and just a regular humidity reader (doesn't require batteries) cant seem to get it too break past 70%. Name:  kk.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  115.3 KB

What Lija said. I use an exo terra combo digital meter and it's pretty accurate. Measures both temps and humidity along with a memory function that helps you measure the highest and lowest temps/humidity during a day so you can dimp your lamps accordingly. Very handy and I really recommend it.

14. This member thanks NialR35 for this post:

agdevils30

My thermometer is perfect (digital) runs down to the ground with a wire and is placed towards the very top of the substrate, was pretty pricey though. but yeah rally I just need a better hydrometer. any suggestions on just a hydrometer alone. the one I have does sorta work cause when I mist the tank it does go up, but after that it goes back too around 70% and Im pretty sure its more humid in there then that.

Nationality
    [Canada]

exo terra digital hydrometers are good, fluckers combo too, but i like exo terra better.

17. This member thanks Lija for this post:

agdevils30

Thanks! i'll look into that

pissedbudgie

I have to agree with getting a Exo Terra, either individual or the combined.
    The benefit of getting seperate Thermometer and Hygrometer is that you will then have a proper MAX/MIN whereas the combined stores the humidity at the time of max/min temp not the actual max/min humidity.
    Although with combined you have the obvious size saving as they are exactly the same size a either and they are comparitively cheaper than buying two, one for each.

When I need to buy again, I will go with seperate units just to have proper max/min readings.

20. This member thanks pissedbudgie for this post:

agdevils30

Im starting to think its not reading well because of where I placed I, last night it read the humidity at 80% with the red nightlight on right next to it and when the day light is on it just reads 65% cause its far away from the day light. should probably place it in the middle of the tank

If you have the money get a hygrotherm and a fogger. You will never have to worry about heating and humidity agian.

agdevils30

unfortunately as of right now I don't, I will in a few weeks. I just don't understand how the humidity can be so high during the night with the red nightlight on and during the day be so much lower with the day light and I spray inside the tank like 3-4 times

NialR35

Trust me, go digital and problem solved.

25. This member thanks NialR35 for this post:

K yours is anolog right? When I first got my Mojo I had an anolog and the humidity never went above 65 no matter how many times I sprayed. They are all junk I'm my opinion. Go and get a digital with a probe and place the probe in the center about two inches above the substrate. The digitals are around twenty dollars. The hygrotherm is around forty dollars on amazon (normally 100 at the pet store). The frog is usually the least expensive part of the enclosure. I have a decent chunk of money I put I to my frogs enclosure, but I have everything set up to where I don't have to worry about anything.

27. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information