Thread: setting up a bigger tank. waterfall questions

kwandrsn

Default setting up a bigger tank. waterfall questions

Ok I currently have 2 tree frogs in a 10 gallon tank. I have a 20gallon extra tall that is 20" long and 24" tall. I also have a waterfall filter deal that has to be set in water for like maybe a turtle tank. I am planning on using pvc pieces and eggcrate wrapped in black plastic window screen material. To make a false bottom in half the tank. Setting the waterfall filter thing in the other half and maybe filling that half in with decorative rocks so the water won't be too deep. Does this sound like a good plan? Also how deep do I want the "pond" to be? I have a regular American green tree frog and a grey tree frog. I thought about putting a small aquarium heater under the false bottom in the water to help keep temp up. I would also like to maybe add a few neon tetras in the "pond"so I would like to have as much water space as possible.

Also I use coco fiber as a substrate. I don't think the screen will keep it from getting in the water is there something else I can do about this issue?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Fluffy Injun

Default setting up a bigger tank. waterfall questions

First thing people are going to tell you is, do not house species together because of toxins.

Now that that is out of the way sounds good. Make the pond deep enough that your critters can't drown. So maybe an inch or two.

Also try weed blocker, it's a lot finer than screen and will allow water out.

Hope this helps!

kwandrsn

Default Re: setting up a bigger tank. waterfall questions

as for mixing thank you for not going into a long session about it.

Ok so 2" won't be too much water? The green tree frog is a little larger but the grey is a tiny fella. His body being about a inch and a half I am guessing. Will 2" be enough water for a small species of fish?

Good call on the weed blocker. I didn't even think about that.

Only issue I see is they dirty up the water dish pretty quick. They get in it and get it full of coco fiber and the green frog likes to do his business in it. The water fall rock filter deal has filters inside of it that I guess will pull some of the stuff out.

no, 2" will not be enough for neon tetras. not even for a micro fish like mosquito fish or some species of rasboras.

could you be more specific as to what a waterfall rock filter deal is? is it the stand alone water fall or the reptofilter? more info would be helpful.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

kwandrsn

I'm not exactly sure what the brand is. It is a rock looking structure when you remove the top it has 2 filters in it. It sets down in water and acts as kinda a waterfall. You have to have about 5" of water which is why I was going to add rock to take up some of the space. I'll try to find a pic of what I have I'm at work right now so I can't take a pic of it.

kwandrsn

Ok this is what it looks like
    Name:  25905TfRRDRF040.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  17.0 KB

I would have liked to include some sort of fish in the tank

kwandrsn

Also some questions about live plants. I'm going to have eggcrate with the weed stopping material for a flower bed covering it then coco fiber. I am going to pick up a few plants from the pet store. do I just plant them in the coco fiber? Do I have to water them a lot or will misting them work?
    Also when I do substrate changes do I just pull them up and replant in the new substrate?
    IM running a blue zoo med daytime bulb and a red zoo med nighttime bulb at night. Will this lighting be good for plants

Thread Information