Thread: treating a bacterial eye infection

MrsPacman

Default treating a bacterial eye infection

My husband and I bought 3 baby pacman frogs that were shipped to us about 2 weeks ago. Their enclosures weren't ready yet, so we kept them in delicups on moist filter media, cleaning the cups every 2-3 days. Well, one of the three had a clouded eye after about a week, so we upped cleaning and bleaching to daily and treating the sick frog daily in a melafix solution. The eye continued to cloud, then bulge and fill with fluid, and the second eye became cloudy. After some research and an overnight shipment, I have been soaking the frog 4x daily (about 45min per soak) in Maracyn II (minocycline antibiotic) for the last day and a half, and it seems to be working! After some more research, I also have Methylene Blue on its way, should be here tomorrow. My question is, should I combine the meds, or stick with what I've got until it proves that its not working.

Also, we live in a small town so a vet isn't a real option, and why all meds were shipped.

The 2 healthy frogs are now in shoebox sized tubs on filter, the sick one still in the deli cup. The ambient is 80 degrees.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

MrsPacman

Default Re: treating a bacterial eye infection

PS. Using spring water, but plan to switch to tap treated with Prime

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Don't mix the meds. Stick with one. Especially if it is working.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPacman View Post
    ...The 2 healthy frogs are now in shoebox sized tubs on filter, the sick one still in the deli cup. The ambient is 80 degrees.
    Welcome to FF and sorry about your sick frog . When frogs are in hospital tanks, moist paper towels have to be replaced daily; more so when in small deli containers. Maracyn 2 is an antibiotic effective against gram- bacteria. If it's working, then would continue treating as per Colleen/Jerrod comments. Methylene Blue is a mild fungicide used in aquariums to prevent fungal blooms from growing on infertile eggs and spreading to good eggs and fry. Why do you want to use that on frog? Are there any fuzzy type growths on the eye? I've used both Maracyn 1 and 2 until Mardel started making Maracyn Plus (effective against both gram + and - bacteria).

Don't understand what do you mean by the other 2 frogs are "on filter." All your 3 frogs should be in 30 day quarantine and away from other frogs you might have. Also, if you share cleaning or feeding equipment would keep a close eye on them for any possible sign of disease. Here is an excellent care article to learn more about your frogs: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding . Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

MrsPacman

Thank you for the responses. First of all the filter I mentioned Amazon.com : Puro-KleenTM Ultra-Guard Premium Pond & Aquarium Filter Media, 24" x 72", Pack of 2 (12 Feet Total) : Patio, Lawn & Garden. The breeder we got our frogs from uses it, especially for young frogs. It stays moist, like paper towels, but allows the toxins to be filtered away from the frogs body. Being new to frogs, (I've kept both reptiles and fish), I am still learning, especially when it comes to treating illness. I searched the internet for days looking for answers to my frog's eye infection and go figure, I cant find the forum post that discussed Methylene Blue - Im not sure if I found it on this forum or another. But the guy with the knowledge was Pollywog? It led me to this site POLLYWOGS WORLD OF FROGS. But others(other forums) who have discussed the use of methylene blue claimed success with using it as an antibacterial as well as an antifungal. Also, it was mentioned a problem could compound and a sick frog could be open to additional infections, which it why I asked about combining meds.

Nationality
    [United States]

What size are your babies? If around 1-1.25 in. and feeding, they are ready to go into a small EcoTerra Breeding Box or similar type critter keeper with shredded coco (Plantation Soil or Eco Earth) as substrate and a small water dish.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

MrsPacman

We got all 3 at 1inch+, one is almost double that, and one hasn't grown (healthy, but picky eater) and the sick frog size is in between (he ate tonight ). The containers we are using are about the size you suggested, about 5x10inches. We have eco earth on stand by, and hope to move them into terrariums in a different room, once proper heat is established. Also, I didn't find the forum written by pollywog, but I found this one on methylene blue. Possibility of eye infection? - talk to the frog

Nationality
    [Canada]

at the stage your frog is right now you need antibiotics, preferably systemic and specialized, not fish stuff, it is working because it is stronger then melafix, so use it exclusively and watch what is happening. I very strongly suggest to call dr. Frye office and ask for meds, he ships them anywhere in US. his contact info is in a sticky in tree frog section.
    do not mix meds, frogs are sensitive to everything and if you use too much of stuff especially for babies it will just weakens them up. make sure it is on papertowels ( not filter) and in proper environment ( temps/humidity), put some kind of plastic leaf or small plant in there too, so a frog could hide and cover all 4 sides of your little tank(shoe box, etc) it will keep stress levels down and as such will help with healing.
    meanwhile make sure you quarantine the other 2 and keep their stress levels down as well.
    good luck!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

MrsPacman

Many Thanks again! Lija, thanks for the direction to the sticky.

Member needs to set country!

Eye infection is not good so if you feel any irritation in eye then first visit the doctor than doing anything. My teacher who is doing my coursework help she is also faced this problem but she is consult the doctor emergency and now she is batter.

Thread Information