Thread: How deeply buried stands for not hungry?

BerserkApe

Default How deeply buried stands for not hungry?

When a Pacman is buried till only its eyes are exposed. Should I bother to feed them? I do a mixture of feeding techniques to keep the frogs stimulated and their eating well I just don't want to overfeed them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkApe View Post
    When a Pacman is buried till only its eyes are exposed. Should I bother to feed them? I do a mixture of feeding techniques to keep the frogs stimulated and their eating well I just don't want to overfeed them.
    He is fine. Pacman frogs always burrow.

BerserkApe

Default Re: How deeply buried stands for not hungry?

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    He is fine. Pacman frogs always burrow.
    I know they always burrow. I'm just wondering if their actively feeding when their eyes are exposed or when their head is above the ground entirely.

I know they always burrow. I'm just wondering if their actively feeding when their eyes are exposed or when their head is above the ground entirely.
    You can feed with their eyes exposed and/or with their head above. Hold what ever you feed them with tongs and wiggle it infront if them. They will take it from their burrow. If they don't take it. They aren't hungry

BerserkApe

Thank you for solving my curiosity. I generally always took any sign of them emerging as time to feed ( if it landed on their feeding schedule). Though, depending on what I was feeding them I tend to unbury them to minimize ingestion of coco fiber.

Thank you for solving my curiosity. I generally always took any sign of them emerging as time to feed ( if it landed on their feeding schedule). Though, depending on what I was feeding them I tend to unbury them to minimize ingestion of coco fiber.
    Remember, they are ambush predators. They will burrow down with there eyes peeking out, then when an unsuspected animal walks by. SLURP goes the frog.

Taking them out of te burrow is ok. Just don't be forceful and aggressive. Come from behind. If you don't want them to ingest substrate, use a separate feeding container. It does not cause too much stress. If you feed at the same time every day, your frog will get used to it.

BerserkApe

Taking them out of te burrow is ok. Just don't be forceful and aggressive. Come from behind. If you don't want them to ingest substrate, use a separate feeding container. It does not cause too much stress. If you feed at the same time every day, your frog will get used to it.
    I actually do use a seperate container for feeding them Nightcrawlers; the worms tend to get too much dirt on them when I feed them in the tank.

Crickets I just let roam the tank overnight (after ripping off ovipositors) so the frogs can get some exercise.

As for picking him up one hand sliding beneath them from behind and the other cupped over them to keep them from leaping.

I actually do use a seperate container for feeding them Nightcrawlers; the worms tend to get too much dirt on them when I feed them in the tank.

Crickets I just let roam the tank overnight (after ripping off ovipositors) so the frogs can get some exercise.

As for picking him up one hand sliding beneath them from behind and the other cupped over them to keep them from leaping.
    If you want your frogs to get exercise, You can honey bath them weekly, and tong feed them from a far distance, so they don't get stressed out from crickets all over them. How many do you have? Night crawlers are ok if thy get small prices of substrate as Long as it isn't moss. Have you ever tried tong feeding? If not, it is good to get your frog used to it.

Using tapatalk

My Mojo will prop his entire head up at night when he is hungry. Looks like this.

BerserkApe

If you want your frogs to get exercise, You can honey bath them weekly, and tong feed them from a far distance, so they don't get stressed out from crickets all over them. How many do you have? Night crawlers are ok if thy get small prices of substrate as Long as it isn't moss. Have you ever tried tong feeding? If not, it is good to get your frog used to it.

Using tapatalk
    Honey bath that's just the bathing you do weekly to help them hydrate/defecate, right? I do that as well.

Thursday is tub day with my frogs and skink getting about an hour each in a tub of water. They tend to get rather active and do hop around. I do prod them a little to get them to jump around the paremeter but nothing aggressive.

As for the number I have four frogs:

A Cranwelli named Wakka.
    A Fantasy named Nurgle.
    A Ornate named Rygel.
    I also have a Pixie named Morbo.

The three Pacman are roughly three inches from nose to vent.

Unfortunately, Wakka's quite the chubster or it may be because of being a Cranwelli. Though, I blame my training him to be tong fed with Wax Worms for his fattiness.

I do a mixture of feeding techniques. I release about nine crickets in each tank just before I go to bed (after removing ovipositors). Any crickets left by morning are seized and fed directly with tongs. Though, my frogs tend to do well eating everything. The frogs are actually tong-trained enough I can feed the crickets that drown in their water bowls to the frogs.

Nightcrawlers are generally fed during honey baths. If I only have nightcrawlers I dangle the worm in front of them and hold it with the tongs so it doesn't drag in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    My Mojo will prop his entire head up at night when he is hungry. Looks like this.
    This reminds me to start taking pictures.

Everything you do is pretty much perfect. For feeding i just keep dropping pieces if night crawler in frog if my guy for ten minutes. A honey bath is when you get semi warm de chlorinated water and a few drops of undyed chemical free honey. It helps them poop and prevents constipation.

BerserkApe

Everything you do is pretty much perfect. For feeding i just keep dropping pieces if night crawler in frog if my guy for ten minutes. A honey bath is when you get semi warm de chlorinated water and a few drops of undyed chemical free honey. It helps them poop and prevents constipation.
    Wow, would distilled water work? Because I make mead on a regular basis and I have plenty of distilled water and local made honey. I find it funny how these hobbies are starting to blend.

Each of my frogs eat about two-three whole night crawlers. Rygel, however, can eat up to five or six. The pixie I have can even polish off one night crawler by himself.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

No do not use distilled water for soaks.
    only treated tap water. I would also treat well water to get rid of any heavy metals / minerals.

"Rygel" Do I detect a farscape fan?

BerserkApe

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    No do not use distilled water for soaks.
    only treated tap water. I would also treat well water to get rid of any heavy metals / minerals.

"Rygel" Do I detect a farscape fan?
    Thanks for the advice.

And yes I named my Ornate after the Dominar.

Destilled water will suck out all of your frogs vitamins and nutrients out of your frog. Destilled water is only recommended if you have a fogger.

BerserkApe

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Destilled water will suck out all of your frogs vitamins and nutrients out of your frog. Destilled water is only recommended if you have a fogger.
    Noted.....no vampire water.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Noted.....no vampire water.
    Lol! ^

Yes, please use spring water or dechlorinated water only .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

BerserkApe

Guess today I'm going to go about getting some water treatment.

Thread Information