Thread: Planted tank question

JamesReign

Default Planted tank question

Hello all -

I had a few Pacman frogs back when I was younger, and I'm hoping to revisit the hobby as I quite enjoyed it. I'm researching tank configurations, and I have a few questions:

1 - Does anyone here have a planted tank? If so, how do you completely change the substrate?
    2 - I've read a lot about having a drainage layer of gravel at the bottom of the tank covered with screen. I know that this is so that the gravel doesn't surface and cause impaction, is this a requirement?
    3 - I've read that the best lid is a screen for ventilation purposes, and I've also read to cover part of it with seran wrap to increase humidity. Is there any merit to that?

Thank you for your help, I've enjoyed reading through the forums.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Planted tank question

im currently building a planted tank so IO can try and answer a couple questions
    1) not totally sure
    2) basically there are lots of different drainage methods. gravel or false bottom. either way you want to keep your substrate about and inch above the water level so it does not get saturated.
    3) from what i understand about humidity it all depends on what plants and critters you want to keep.

I hope that is of some help. have fun

4. This member thanks Timbo for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

1. planted tank is a bad idea, because you when you clean you need to take everything out including plants, potted in pots with plantation soil might work or if you put these pots in magniturals and hang them on a walls. the other problem is that pacman frogs need dim light that plants don't like + not many plants will live in the amount of waste these frogs produce
    2. you can do a false bottom, still need to change a substrate, so what is the point of doing it.
    3. the best lid is any lid as long as it is there. you will need to play around with plexi/plastic wrap/foil to maintain humidity you need.

in general with pacs the simple is a key.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

6. This member thanks Lija for this post:

ChrissyBee

Hi there

I just got my first pacman frog last week and I have a couple of plants in his tank. I used plants that can withstand a lot of water (philodendrons) and put them in small glasses filled with riverrock and water. Then I put the glasses in the tank corners and put a thin layer of substrate over the tops. They can easily be removed for cleaning - so far so good.

8. This member thanks ChrissyBee for this post:

BerserkApe

I've found potted plants do best. But, pots heavy enough not to be knocked over by a burrowing frog. But, I also do a mixture of half-fake/half-real to keep up adequate cover for the frog.

10. This member thanks BerserkApe for this post:

JamesReign

Thanks everyone! I look forward to getting this tank set up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Planted tank question

I have a couple of 2" net pots that is filled with half coco half worm casting.
    2. I also have a false bottom well rocks with a screen, then coco on top of that screen. I just bury my potted plants with the coco.

I hope that makes sense. When I clean out my tank I just pick the plant pots up set aside and replace (different locations) after cleaning. I just think it is better for my frog to look at?

Thread Information