Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rain Frogs

Default Rain Frogs

Let's say i did get a rain frog. If i kept it like a pacman frog and kept it moist and fed it regularly. Would it aestivate?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Rain Frogs

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    Let's say i did get a rain frog. If i kept it like a pacman frog and kept it moist and fed it regularly. Would it aestivate?
    Their condotions are not even remotely similar. It would most likely end in disaster.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Most species of Breviceps prefer a Mediterranean climate similar to the chaparral of southern California and Arizona. In fact, one species Breviceps namaquensis,does not inhabit water at all. Grif is absolutely correct - these frogs will not thrive in the same environment as a pacman frog. These frogs love to eat termites and ants, like most species in the Microhylid family.

To add to the confusion, there is another group of rain frogs from Madagascar, genus Scaphiophryne. They are fairly common in the pet trade and are quite secretive. Some members of this genus can be kept in a tropical or montane forest environment.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

N3XU5

Cool.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Terry is correct. Their natural habitat is very dry almost year round. This is why Rain Frogs remain burrowed to remain moist. They Aestivate for nearly a year before the rains come and wake them from their slumber as the water seeps down into their burrows.

If they didn't prefer dryer climates then they would not live where they are. So which part of Terry's statement was untrue? Chubby frogs such as Painted frogs do live in tropical regions just as the Tomato frogs do.
    If they prefered drier climates then they would come out more then just the rainy seasons. If I were to keep them in captivity then I would definetelly not set them up in a dry climate enclosure unless I have LOTS of substrate to allow the frog to gain moister at depth. And I'm not talking just a couple inches. Just because they live there does not mean they prefer it, they simply adapted to survive. Do they ever breath in the dry air?

Does anybody know of any succesful keepers of these frogs? If so how do they keep them?

7. This member thanks poison for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    If they prefered drier climates then they would come out more then just the rainy seasons. If I were to keep them in captivity then I would definetelly not set them up in a dry climate enclosure unless I have LOTS of substrate to allow the frog to gain moister at depth. And I'm not talking just a couple inches. Just because they live there does not mean they prefer it, they simply adapted to survive. Do they ever breath in the dry air?;

Does anybody know of any succesful keepers of these frogs? If so how do they keep them?
    Ugh!!! Seriously? You are arguing about their natural habitat. Frogs can migrate to seek out water so if they didn't prefer dry climates they would seek more lush wetland areas in which they do not. Obviously you don't know anyone who keeps them either or you would know inorder to mimic their natural environment you would have to create the 10 to 11 month dry season.

I don't understand why us telling you that their natural habitat is dry is so hard to swallow.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ugh!!! Seriously? You are arguing about their natural habitat. Frogs can migrate to seek out water so if they didn't prefer dry climates they would seek more lush wetland areas in which they do not. Obviously you don't know anyone who keeps them either or you would know inorder to mimic their natural environment you would have to create the 10 to 11 month dry season.

I don't understand why us telling you that their natural habitat is dry is so hard to swallow.
    Sure they can migrate to seek out water. Or they can just burrow to keep moist as these guys do. Which imo that means they prefer to stay moist. And no I don't know of one person who keeps these. Which is why I asked the question. Keeping these frogs dry in captivity for 10-11 months will probably kill these frogs. They them self are not use to being dry again they stay moist under ground.

Sorry if I came off rude when I said "thats not true" I should have said I disagree.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Sure they can migrate to seek out water. Or they can just burrow to keep moist as these guys do. Which imo that means they prefer to stay moist. And no I don't know of one person who keeps these. Which is why I asked the question. Keeping these frogs dry in captivity for 10-11 months will probably kill these frogs. They them self are not use to being dry again they stay moist under ground.

Sorry if I came off rude when I said "thats not true" I should have said I disagree.
    They aestivate when burrowed down. Covered in an epithelial sack like all frogs that burrow to escape the heat or cold. They pretty much are in a coma until the rain comes. Breeders have to condition their frogs in order to get the in them mood unless using hormone injections. Aestivation is part of conditioning which can last all winter (3 to 4 months) for the most part. Giant African Bullfrogs are in the same boat as these guys when it comes to how long they remain dormant. Sometimes up to an entire year or longer. Aestivation can be similated sucessfully in captivity as long as the frogs are monitored daily. The substrate is never kept completely dry just as it would be in nature.

There is a reason that these frogs rarely appear in the pet trade and you can bet that any that do are WC. I understand what you are saying, but they burrow down not because they like a moist environment. They do it so that they don't die from desication during the dry season. Its about survival.

11. 2 members thank GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Now that is the answer I am looking for

Default Rain Frogs

What about these little guys?

http://youtu.be/2HiJ6wph8FY

Default Rain Frogs

I believe they have become popular in pet trade in Japan, and by the looks. Yes many people keep them captive. I was browsing some Japanese videos, and I saw (even though i can't read it) an enclosure that looked just like a pacman frog's and he had multiple in there. Also there was a tong feeding video. And more

http://youtu.be/Cu571AUWAjY

http://youtu.be/EVGNqn11pzE

Nationality
    [United States]

I believe they have become popular in pet trade in Japan, and by the looks. Yes many people keep them captive. I was browsing some Japanese videos, and I saw (even though i can't read it) an enclosure that looked just like a pacman frog's and he had multiple in there. Also there was a tong feeding video. And more

アメフクラガエルの捕食 Breviceps adspersus, Balloon Frog - YouTube

フクラガエル - YouTube
    Yes I have heard of this species being sparsly available from time to time, but you will not like the cost and I can absolutely assure you that they are NOT kept in the same conditions as a Pacman. They are not even from the same continent. Climate is not even remotely the same.

Just because an enclosure looks like it may be similar doesn't mean it is. Never believe everything you see on YouTube. Most of the time it is wrong.

16. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Default Rain Frogs

Yes I have heard of this species being sparsly available from time to time, but you will not like the cost and I can absolutely assure you that they are NOT kept in the same conditions as a Pacman. They are not even from the same continent. Climate is not even remotely the same.

Just because an enclosure looks like it may be similar doesn't mean it is. Never believe everything you see on YouTube. Most of the time it is wrong.
    What is the closest thing to the rai frog you can recommend.

Nationality
    [United States]

What is the closest thing to the rai frog you can recommend.
    As far as cuteness go's? A chubby are pretty cute imo. But you wont see them much.

Nationality
    [United States]

Daniel is right closest you will get to appearence of Rain Frogs are Asian Painted Frogs. They too remain burrowed the majority of the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information