Thread: Advice PLEASE

Kimberly K

Default Advice PLEASE

We have a little green tree frog named Tyler. We found him a few months ago and set him up in a wet/dry setting. He was very happy, and LOUD, especially at night. He was eating 4 small/medium crickets every other day. A few weeks ago his little paw was injured accidentally. We don't have a local vet that sees frogs. I looked as much as I could on this and other frog sites, and took as good of care of him as I could. I put Neosporin on him daily, and moved him to a dry environment with branches to climb on. (fake, not real) and a bowl of water (bottled only). Per the instructions I researched. He has not made those sounds since the injury, and I think he has only eaten one cricket. He seems to have healed well, he moves around well now. I am very worried that he wont eat. Also, he is still using the bathroom. I still haven't moved him to the prior environment (wet/dry) because I still worry about infection. Should I get him millworms as well? Should I be worried, or is he ok? Help?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ejh805

Default Re: Advice PLEASE

Since he has healed up, I would suggest moving him back into his more naturalistic environment. A completely dry enclosure (save a bowl of water) won't make the little guy happy. He likely needs more humidity.

4. This member thanks ejh805 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Kimberly! Need to know what kind of bottled water are you using? Anything but "Spring" will either need to be treated, or not used at all. Plain Neosporin is fine for a topical antibiotic. Please answer these questions the best you can and we will go from there. Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi kimberly,
    Hope all is well.
    You have good advise here

If you are still having trouble ........post a photo of the frog........that would be great.

When a frog is ill or injured , the humidity and temp requirements need to be maintained.
    It is very important on a regular basis.... but even more so during stressful times such as these.

Water: PLEASE de-chlorinate all water.
    Exo Terra : Aquatize / Terrarium Water Conditioner
    -this product can be purchased for less than 8 $.
    - it's easy to use - 8 drops per gallon.

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

8. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Kimberly K

Name:  DSCN1636.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  42.0 KB1. Size of enclosure **10 gal tank
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences ** just the one
    3. Humidity** There is large and small (smooth) rocks partially covered with natural living moss. It has a few inches of distilled water in the bottom. I have a spray bottle that I spray in as well.. I keep the light on except at night, the house is about 72 degrees at all times,
    4. Temperature ** comparable to outside temps.
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish ** distilled
    6. Materials used for substrate ** natural moss and smooth stones, but he likes the fake branches and likes to sit directly under the lights.
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. **(see above)
    8. Main food source ** crickets (which I maintain, feeding them calcium enriched food)
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) ** Just what he gets from the crickets, we only had him a month
    10. Lighting ** regular florescent bulbs (fish tank cover)
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure ** just the light, and the temp in the house
    12. When is the last time he/she ate ** he ate one cricket since injury, I put him into a smaller enclosure with just 4 crickets, so that I can keep track.
    13. Have you found poop lately ** yes, last night when I tried to get him to eat.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/KIM/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]
    15. How old is the frog ** no idea. He was a little smaller when we found him.
    16. How long have you owned him/her **a couple of months
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred ** caught on a baseball field.
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats ** just the crickets what else can I add???
    19. How often the frog is handled ** every other day for feeding, he doesn’t seem to mind it.
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area ** medium, it is in the living room, but there is not much going on as far as traffic
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) ** I clean it every three to five days, I worry if the water looks dirty.

Kimberly K

I read that. He is in a stable environment now.. but looks healed now.Name:  DSCN1622.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  55.1 KB

Kimberly K

Thanks.. He did seem happy there. I will do that tonight.

Nationality
    [Canada]

it all looks nice, except - switch distilled water that you're using for everything with treated with water conditioner ( fish or reptile section of a pet store) or spring water, as well as change water every day, it will have some very hasty stuff even if it looks clean after more then a day.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Kimberly! You can use distilled water for misting but not on frog water dish or enclosure features. For that need either dechlorinated tap or bottled spring water. Dish water should be changed daily, even if it looks clean.

Food should be dusted with CA/D3 2X and vitamins 1X weekly on different days with skip day in between.

For a tree frog most aquariums work better on their end, this article will help you with ideas on how to do that: Frog Forum - Building Dart Frog Terrariums / Tropical Terrarium Construction .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Kimberly K

I will get some spring water right now and will put his original tank together. I want to make sure that it is clean before I put him back into it. Should I continue to put Neosporin on him for a while? Should I add any other types of foods?

Thread Information