Thread: newbie

marisaaa

Red face newbie

Hi, Ive been searching this forum for quite some time now trying to get everything ready for my first amphibian, I'm leaning towards a WTF. Happy to finally join the community and I have a few questions..

I had fish for a few years and after a year of an empty tank I decided to give frogs/toads a try. I have this tall aquarium and thought it would be ideal for a tree frog (i'm assuming just one since it is only 15 gallons, your thoughts?).
    My first question is related to lighting/heating: The lid has an attached Aqueon Full Spectrum 120V 8W T5 12'' Hg bulb, from my research I'm assuming this is not ideal for tree frogs. Is there a bulb I can replace this one with or should I just remove it and use a heating pad on the wall? Do I still need some direct source of lighting even with a heating pad?
    My place stays pretty warm year long, I have two hairless cats that love warm weather and I tend to stay chilly even in the summer months. My house stays in the high 70s in the summer and sometimes sees the low 70s in the winter.

I plan on manually misting the tank with a spray bottle daily. Is there a hydrometer/thermometer combo that you all would recommend? There seems to be a ton of options with varying price rages.

That seems to be all the questions I have for now but if you all think of any other advice I might need, please feel free to share. I'll be sure to post pictures of the new guy when he finally comes home, possibly this coming weekend.

Thanks!

N3XU5

Default Re: newbie

I'm not familiar with tree frogs, but that setup sounds close to their rainforest habitat. Do you know how big your frog is going to be?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Marisa! A 15G is a tad too small for a White's that can grow to 4 in.. More info on their requirements here: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea . This other article might help you narrow down which frog to keep: Frog Forum - Choosing a Frog . Normally what you do with a tank is get rid of aquarium top or glass cover and replace it with a tank screen. Problem is that your tank is a custom sized Aqueon unit and finding a top that will fit could prove a challenge. For a hygrometer/thermometer combo recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/Terra-Digital-Combination-Thermometer-Hygrometer . Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to the forum
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

maxQ

Default newbie

Hello and welcome to The Forum Marissaa, i love Tree Frogs, i would love to see pictures once your all set.

Using Tapatalk

Love me whites. I have 2 one named Sam and the other named Houdini (long story). they are so fun especially to get into the hobby with. Make sure to keep them happy if you get one! Best of luck!!!

Thread Information