Thread: Red eyed tree frog and mudskipper tank, half and half = too wet?

Digitallinh

Default Red eyed tree frog and mudskipper tank, half and half = too wet?

New to forum and hobby!

I setup a mudskipper habitat a couple of days ago... Pictures below. I had them in a 40, but moved them to a 29 for the increased vertical space.

The next day (yesterday) I went ahead and bought a Red-Eyed Leaf Frog, not really knowing they prefer dryer environments. He seems to be doing fine, caught all my crickets and generally just sleeps all the time.

has anyone kept these frogs longterm in a wet enclosure?

specs below

29 gallon, 2213 eheim. Two T5HOs.

airstone running full blast for ventilation/airflow.

temp 79F
    humidity 80 with screen top.

many of the plants are temporary, ordering a bunch of riparium plants and floaters to fill out the tank. Also planning to put a small tree on the left.

does the airstone make a difference in airflow?

do I have enough branches?

should I lower the water an inch?

thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red eyed tree frog and mudskipper tank, half and half = too wet?

Hi Digitallinh,
    Nice to meet you
    A red eyed tree frog should not be kept with ANY other species in captivity.
    They are not the sharpest tools in the shed ....they don't swim well
    A constant wet environment ( humidity > than 80%) , for a long period of time, can cause respiratory problems.

Keeping the red eye in the tank with a mudskipper increases the risk of cross contamination or cross infection to both .

I am sharing my experience having kept two species of Agalychnis ( moreletii and callidryas ) for many years.

They should be separated.
    I doubt that's what you wanted to hear? Sorry

:butterfly
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! I do not keep Red-Eyed Leaf Frog; but always recommend keeping one frog species per enclosure and to match the enclosure parameters to the frogs needs. Also, many frogs exude toxic substances that can damage other frog species and animals.

Hope it works for you; but be aware that frog health issues related to their needs sometimes develop slowly. By the time symptoms show; damage to their internal organs have already happened and will take long time to cure or be irreversible. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Digitallinh

Appreciate the responses.

You guys think fish and amphibians share the same parasites? I'm really reluctant to take him Back as its a bit of a drive, so I'm more willing to change the tank setup. I also really like the little guy, much more than my mudskippers anyway.

I can always drop the water about an inch above the substrate, but my guess is humidity will still be in the 70-80 range.

the humidity in my house is 55 ( I live in Houston and have multiple fish tanks.) so no idea what to do.

Has anyone else kept them in a wet enclosure before? Dart frogs are probably a better bet though eh?

Thanks again!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Digitallinh View Post
    Appreciate the responses.

You guys think fish and amphibians share the same parasites? I'm really reluctant to take him Back as its a bit of a drive, so I'm more willing to change the tank setup. I also really like the little guy, much more than my mudskippers anyway.

I can always drop the water about an inch above the substrate, but my guess is humidity will still be in the 70-80 range.

the humidity in my house is 55 ( I live in Houston and have multiple fish tanks.) so no idea what to do.

Has anyone else kept them in a wet enclosure before? Dart frogs are probably a better bet though eh?

Thanks again!
    Hi Digitallinh,

No we don't think fish and amphibians share the same parasites , on the contrary.

Of course ...keep him ....but separate him from the skipper
    Don't' take him back ! He's so cute.
    In fact, I would put him in a quarantine tank for 30 days !
    We should always quarantine newly acquired frogs.
    (A 10 gallon vertical ?)

http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html

He looks like a nice healthy frog. BTW- humidity should be 70-80 %.

Before long ..........you'll keep darts , too !
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Digitallinh

Thanks for the info Lynn.

I originally had a glass top on there, even with a 3 inch mesh running across the back, the humidity was 90% lights on and 100% off. Hopefully with the metal screen (bought from petsmart) the humidity stays in appropriate ranges. I just got it this morning and the humidity was running 80% with lights.

really wish the cover had a lid. Any good suggestions on good covers I can perhaps find online? With lids?

im also confused as to how running an airstone affects humidity, should I even have one? Will the frog get enough ventilation without any device? My AC runs pretty much all day. Should I run an extra light UV to dry it out?

sorry for the onslaught of questions, I'm pretty particular when it comes to keeping animals! I've probably read everything within the confines of googles first 10 pages, but with so much conflicting info, it's a bit confusing.

and yes, I'm already feeling the itch to setup a 3-4 foot High hexagon tank for my living room, with submerged bottom of course. It just seems much easier to maintain with water at the bottom!

Nationality
    [United States]

Here is a link to an excellent care article for your frog: Frog Forum - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas . Not sure if running an air stone out of water will significantly decrease humidity; but you can stop it and see how humidity changes. Heat bulbs will dry the air up but have to watch the temps so they stay within the frogs parameters.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Try too caustic. your mudskippers are brackish water fish. Saltwaters not good for frogs.

Digitallinh

Yeah, I run my mudskippers in full fresh. From reading across the web they also inhabit upstream rivers and coves in their natural habitat. Also the one's I see in Vietnam (I know they are different from the atlantic mudskipper, which I have) when I go there are pretty deep away from the ocean (like 30 miles in.)

The person I got them from, and people across the web often keep them in fresh too with no problems. All in all, mudskippers from what I have gathered are really resilient to a wide range of conditions. Not too worried about them, though I get the concern. If anything, tap water is pretty hard (lots of Mg?), which should help with their digestive processes.

I did move one mudskipper to his own tank (probably rehome) and am now left with just 1 and 1 tree frog.

The frogs, man this frog sleeps all day. My lights on humidity sits around 60% now, and lights off hits 90-95%. It's sad because the frog is awake at night! I run a 12h/12h light/night cycle.

Running the airstone for an hour with and without (everything else staying the same) seems to affect my humidity + 15-20%, in case anyone else was curious.

I suppose mixing darts with tree frogs would be out of the question (this feels really similar to people being against mixing rift lake cichlids.) What about the fire bellied toad?

Digitallinh

So I took the last mudskipper out, and bought another tree frog ... How many should I put in a 29 gallon tank? Here is a pic! He's so cute, monkeying around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information