Thread: Having Trouble Feeding my WTF

Angelsjealousy

Question Having Trouble Feeding my WTF

I have a White's Tree Frog named Lucius. He is just about the cutest thing ever. I noticed that he hasn't been eating for about the past week. It could have been longer than that. I took him to the vet today, and he has a bacterial infection in his mouth, on his tongue. I guess this makes sense -- I wouldn't want to eat if my mouth was all yucky and hurting me, either.

So, here's the problem. I know he needs to eat sooner rather than later. The vet gave me some food I can mix up and feed him through a syringe. I have tried coaxing him by just rubbing the tip of the syringe (no needle) lightly against his mouth. He will not open up. I also tried taking one meal worm and showing it to him, and again just nudging his mouth a little to see if he'd bite. No luck! I have antibiotics to give him to get rid of the infection, but I'm worried that his recovery chances aren't all that great if he doesn't have proper nutrition.

Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Fluffy Injun

Default Having Trouble Feeding my WTF

We have issues with mine presently. I hold her and the syringe. My wife takes a credit card to the corner of her mouth and gently coaxes it in until she opens and then I place the syringe in and feed. Just be gentle and patience.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Having Trouble Feeding my WTF

Try the smallest rubber lined spoon or spatula you can buy/find and try that but try not to stress the frog out. i dont like to stress mine out you'll both feel bad. there's a topic on this in the tree frog section on what you should do and what you should have on hand.Its called frog medicine cabinent what you should have on hand.

Angelsjealousy

Quote Originally Posted by StickyFrogfeet View Post
    Try the smallest rubber lined spoon or spatula you can buy/find and try that but try not to stress the frog out. i dont like to stress mine out you'll both feel bad. there's a topic on this in the tree frog section on what you should do and what you should have on hand.Its called frog medicine cabinent what you should have on hand.
    Thank you for your advice! I am going to look at that section, definitely. I'm new to the forum, so any information is greatly appreciated!

Angelsjealousy

Hi! I tried the credit card trick, and it worked. I didn't have any helping hands for this time, though, so it certainly wasn't easy! Are you ever afraid you're getting the food in the wrong place (like it will go into his lungs instead)?

Thanks again!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Dosing needles work great for liquid meds. Reptile Products You Can Trust | Reptile Basics Inc, and I've also injected meds into wax worms or butter worms. My WTF's can't resist a soft bodies worm.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Thread Information