Thread: What can I feed dubia roaches?

Default What can I feed dubia roaches?

I have some dubia roaches en route. Can I feed them flukers orange cricket food? Or should I got with fruit and veggies? Its only 50 of them and I'm not planning on starting a colony. I just need them to last till Mojo eats them all.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kabikano

Default Re: What can I feed dubia roaches?

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    I have some dubia roaches en route. Can I feed them flukers orange cricket food? Or should I got with fruit and veggies? Its only 50 of them and I'm not planning on starting a colony. I just need them to last till Mojo eats them all.
    Either or. Dubias will eat everything. Just be aware that if you feed a moist food, (fruits and veggies) humidity will go up in their enclosure. Not so good if you keep them for awhile. Their fras (poop) will break down with the humidity and turn into a slimey substance vice the dry little grains they would be if the environment was dry. How fast you think the 50 will last? What are you feeding them too?

nirotorin

Yeah that'll work, but bread and carrots are cheaper.lol

SCF

You should gut load them with fruits and vegetables, so this gut load will in turn transfer to your frog. Apples, Oranges, Celery, Chard,carrots, strawberries, I could go on and on.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

IMO feeding fruits has to be done carefully to avoid attracting flies to your colony. If doing so, just feed small amounts that will be consumed overnight. Vegetables can be fed but should be fed the same way and replaced daily. Dry items like oatmeal, cherios, etc. can be left until consumed as long as dry.

Supply water with cricket gel or a wet cotton bowl (dechlorinated water) changed no less than every couple days. Repashy's Bug Burger is good food but more expensive option than those mentioned previously.

Have never used it; but from reading in cricket threads, those Fluker's Orange cubes are reviewed as not great to bad. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'll second that- orange cubes are bad, i had a very high cricket mortality rate using these and they're also super expensive, get simple polymer water crystals, they are used in gardening for soil, i got a packet off ebay for 8$, that I'm using for more then a year now and as a food- just anything you have laying round, fruits, veggies, cereals, bread, dog/cat food,
    by the way none of my crickets were eating repashy bug burger, so I'm stuck again with a bag of repashy something.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Cool sorry for the lare responce was at work. Ill mix something up for the roaches. Like I said though, I'm not gonna keep a colony my wife would freak if she opened a Tupperware in the garage and found a bunch of roaches.

Nationality
    [United States]

Don't use dog or cat food. The protein levels are to high.

Kabikano

Cool sorry for the lare responce was at work. Ill mix something up for the roaches. Like I said though, I'm not gonna keep a colony my wife would freak if she opened a Tupperware in the garage and found a bunch of roaches.
    Don't let her find the Tupperware! Lol! But seriously, do you keep any other reptiles or phibs? Having a Dubia colony proves invaluable when having a few animals that will eat them. I keep a few hundered and just feed off occasionally to my pets. My Bearded Dragon, Tegus, Red Ackies, Sailfin Dragon, Spiderman Agamas, Blue Tongue Skinks and Tarantulas love them. I feed a variety of food and prey items so by the time I get back to the Dubia colony, they have multiplied. Good luck!

Nope just the one frog. I'm lucky to even have him.

Kabikano

Nope just the one frog. I'm lucky to even have him.
    I hear you on that. I'm greatful the wife doesn't make me live in a terrarium with all the "This is the last one, I swear!" statements I've said to her over the years.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for the late reply. I feed mine: oranges, apples, bananas, mellon rinds, zucchini, romaine lettuce, carrots, potato skins, cheerios, sometimes Flukers cricket powdered food, if I'm not using moist fruit or veggies I'll add gel water.

Never ever use tomatoes or cabbage because they can be toxic to frogs.

I use a plastic kids plate for their food so it's easy to clean.

I keep the food at one end and the heat lamp at the other, over their eggcrate cartons.

Temps of 85-90'F will get them breeding for you if you like free ones . Colonies are very easy to maintain.

I feed the freshly molted ones. When they shed/molt they are a light yellow color and very soft, squooshy. Nice and easy to digest for them .

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    ...Never ever use tomatoes or cabbage because they can be toxic to frogs....
    Wow Heather, had no idea the cabbage was toxic and have used it to feed both roaches and crickets before. Do you know what is the actual substance on them that is bad? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I am not exactly sure. I read it a few times when raising tadpoles, not to use cabbage. I'll try and find out the chemistry of it.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nice I got some apples, celery, and carrots. Going to wash them then peel them the soak in dechlorinated water and chop them up in small pieces.

BerserkApe

I've been informed plenty of citrus encourages and stimulates breeding for the roaches.

Bleh... the roaches were pretty small. I got to grow them so Mojo will take an interest in them. Was able to slip a couple in while he was shedding, hoping to get him to like the taste. He didn't even notice me putting them in his mouth lol. Sure enough though as soon as I drop a couple nightcrawlers in front of him be grabs them right up.

BerserkApe

Are you looking to estabolish a roach colony?

Nope, a roach colony is completely out of the question.

BerserkApe

I'm sure you can find sites that you can get adults specifically.

Thread Information