Thread: Sexing a pacman!

MissT

Default Sexing a pacman!

Hi there I wold like a little help sexing my pacman. I think female but my partner isn't as sure as I am.

She is 3-5 years old and was told from the previous owner that it was a male but he never called.
    I have checked all four feet and there are no black "lumps" between her toes
    Her throat is white with a good amount of black also.
    I have managed to get her to call but only after 5-10 minutes of her hearing a male call via youtube.
    Even then it was only for a few seconds and no more calling after that.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sexing a pacman!

Females can make squeaks; but if it repeats a male call, it's a male . Nuptial pads develop during breeding period after proper cycling.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Males will have a dark spot on each thumb that looks like a mole called Nuptial Pads. This picture clearly shows a Nuptial Pad on a male Ceratophrys cranwelli's thumb.

Name:  0127131109a.jpg
Views: 2418
Size:  45.2 KB

The spots on the thumbs in the pics here on Mojo means its a male. If it doesn't have them that means its a female.

MissT

She hasn't been prepared at all for breeding but I have checked a few times since I got her for nuptial pads and she definitely doesn't have them at all on any of her thumbs.
    My difficulty is the mixed messages I keep getting from different sites. :/ Will nuptial pads only be there for a time during the season or are they permanent? She doesn't call in general but she did answer back with a few short croaks, but then with continued playing of the male sound she didn't call again.

Nationality
    [Canada]

it doesn't matter prepared or not for breeding, pacman males have nuptial pads all year. if they're sick/malnourished then sometimes these pads might loose their coloration but will still be there. other species of frogs will develops nuptial pads only during breeding season, that is not the case of Ceratophrys frogs.

if you don't see these - you have a female, if you want to confirm what you think you see, just post pics of thumb, similar like the ones Grif and danfrog posted, we'll help you out with that.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nuptial pads appear at sexual maturity. If your frog is 3-5 years old like you said, you definitely have a female. I remember when my Mojo got his a month ago. One soak he didn't have them and then a week later on his next soak sure enough there they were.

MissT

Ah brilliant then thank you very much! the first reply confused me a little so cheers for clearing it up. Definitely a little lady then!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    it doesn't matter prepared or not for breeding, pacman males have nuptial pads all year....
    Thanks Lija, was confused about this .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Namio

Hi MissT, how big is your frog? When a frog is over 3 years old the size may often times be indicative of the sex of your frog. Would you say your frog is more or less than 3 inches (from tip of its mouth to the butt)? I would like to see if your frog is consistent with the size of its sex class.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by MissT View Post
    Ah brilliant then thank you very much! the first reply confused me a little so cheers for clearing it up. Definitely a little lady then!
    we'd appreciate pics anyway, we love pics around here

and you're welcome
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

13. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Thread Information