Thread: sick pac man frog something wrong with his eye, help me griffthegreat!

Ryan Dean Witkowski

Default sick pac man frog something wrong with his eye, help me griffthegreat!

hello. i have an albino pac man frog about 3 years old. in the last week his eye became cloudy and swollen. then after a soak he peeled and the eye looked like it was full of blood. i dont know if this is some kind of infection or a somthing. the guy who recommemded me to this site said it could be an impact injury i dont really know. ive never had a problem before.the attached pic is what he looks like right now. i have also started using vetericyn on his eye to avoid infection
    any help would be great
    thanks
    ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: sick pac man frog something wrong with his eye, help me griffthegreat!

Welcome to FF and sorry about your frog Ryan ! Do you have access to a veterinary with frog or exotics experience? Think your frog needs a visit to one ASAP. In the meantime, would move to a hospital like enclosure with damp white paper towels for substrate, a water dish, and all sides but front covered to reduce stress. Something appears to have injured the eye and it got infected. Is frog eating now? Any indications might have lost it's sight?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: sick pac man frog something wrong with his eye, help me griffthegreat!

STOP using vetericyn, it is not certified for frogs. you don't want to cause more problems as you have already.

get melafix instead and soak your frog in it's solution ( you have to dilute it with water), place a frog in hospital set up as Carlos said. use the solutions for everything, spray/papertowels and soaks.
    please post your answers to "trouble in the enclosure" questions here ( Qs are in a sticky thread) so we can help you better.

and welcome to the forum by the way
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

6. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Carlos and Lija have given excellent advice.

Dilute the Melafix in luke warm dechlorinated water. 1 drop of Melafix per 16 ounces of water. Soak the frog for upwards of 20 to 30 minutes.

After the Melafix bath prepare a second bath of just luke warm dechlorinated water to rinse the Melafix solution off. Water depth for both baths should be half the hight of the frog or up to it's chin.

This will only slow the infection you will need to seek Vet assistance imediately.

8. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    ...Dilute the Melafix in luke warm dechlorinated water. 1 drop of Melafix per 16 ounces of water. Soak the frog for upwards of 20 to 30 minutes...
    Melafix comes in different concentrations depending if it's regular or professional strength. I recommend mixing with 80F dechlorinated water according to bottle instructions for aquariums and use resulting solution in bath. If kept in the dark, the mixed solution can be used for days.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

10. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

My vet told me Veteriacin was ok to use. It will prevent infection. I use it for prolapse. They have an eye solution as well. However.. I would go with the selection of Melafix just based on the facts its meant for a more AQUATIC environment. I may switch over to that as well since there is a MAJOR price difference.. I also concur that the stage the eye is in. THere is no PUPIL left in the eye. Its only blood. I believe he lost his eye completely. Vet assistance is the only REAL call on this one.

In San Diego: AVIAN AND EXOTIC ANIMAL HOSPTIAL. Dr. Jenkins will help you as best as he can on the matter. He was a prior dart frog breeder prior to becoming a vet so he is experienced in the froggy world. GOOD LUCK!!
    Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital in San Diego specialized in treatment of birds, rabbits, reptiles, small companion animals, wildlife, fish, and amphibians

12. This member thanks CJ PELCHER for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Melafix comes in different concentrations depending if it's regular or professional strength. I recommend mixing with 80F dechlorinated water according to bottle instructions for aquariums and use resulting solution in bath. If kept in the dark, the mixed solution can be used for days.
    Carlos this is the dilution for regular strength in the 4FL ounce bottle.

14. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Just so everyone knows. I recommended him to come here. I saw the frog in person.... its not pretty. Health wise he is great, but it looks like a total eye loss. GRIFF, i know from the past you should be the person to contact based on your pacman experience. So thats why he mentioned your name. =) Thanks everyone for responding to this post.

16. This member thanks CJ PELCHER for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by CJ PELCHER View Post
    THere is no PUPIL left in the eye. Its only blood. I believe he lost his eye completely. Vet assistance is the only REAL call on this one.
    I agree a vet visit would be best, but you can still see the pupil... The 'pupil' in an eye isn't just obliterated and replaced by blood. However, blood vessels in the eye are some of the easiest to strain and burst. It can give the appearance of the eye being filled with blood. That's probably what the case is here.

Also, is that small rocks/sand that I see it sitting in in the first picture? If so, I think that's probably the culprit here. A small grain of that could seriously injure a frog's eye. Not to mention, it's incredibly dangerous if he's being fed on it, and generally just an inappropriate substrate for a pacman. Can cause scratches on its feet and belly too.

18. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Ryan Dean Witkowski

i want to thank every one for there help. i did end up finding a vet that works of frogs. took him in. they said it was his eye insides being pushed out through the front. so they put some stitches on his eye to keep it closed while it heals and im giving him antibiotics every 3 days. all in all he should be fine, blind in one eye but fine

i did end up taking the small rocks out and doing the paper towel set up. what kind of bedding do you guys use?
    thanks everyone!!Name:  IMAG0562.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  39.7 KBName:  IMAG0563.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  40.0 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dean Witkowski View Post
    i want to thank every one for there help. i did end up finding a vet that works of frogs. took him in. they said it was his eye insides being pushed out through the front. so they put some stitches on his eye to keep it closed while it heals and im giving him antibiotics every 3 days. all in all he should be fine, blind in one eye but fine

i did end up taking the small rocks out and doing the paper towel set up. what kind of bedding do you guys use?
    thanks everyone!!Name:  IMAG0562.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  39.7 KBName:  IMAG0563.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  40.0 KB
    It is best to keep him on moist paper towels until the infection is gone otherwise it could be worse.

Once he heals use Eco Earth 100% Coconut Fiber substrate(not Husk).

Nationality
    [United States]

Great to hear he's getting treatment from a good herp vet! Keep us updated on his progress I know of cats that have had that same issue that have regained sight, so hopefully he won't have any long-term problems.

Like Grif said, paper towels for substrate until that eye is healed up. After that, he'll love to burrow in coco-fiber.

Thread Information