Thread: Will amano shrimp hurt my ADF's?

MitraC

Default Will amano shrimp hurt my ADF's?

Hi I have a divided 10 gallon cycled, heated and planted tank. There are 2 ADf's on 1 side (was with the betta before but they launched at his caudal fin too much).I wanted to add one more dwarf frog but am worried about Chytrid. So I am wondering if adding 2 adult amano shrimp will be a good idea? I have heard that they can be kind of aggressive towards smaller creatures.

I pretty much only feed my ADF's frozen (thawed) blood worms or brine shrimp via a turkey baster, I have heard that this is a bad idea because bloodworm don't have the protein they need? HBH pellets don't work because they will not stay in my turkey baster and my frogs never find the pellets around the substrate. Any suggestions on getting Amano shrimp and alternate feeds? I don't have access to any live food where i live.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Will amano shrimp hurt my ADF's?

Hello and welcome to FF ! Sorry missed answering your first thread . Guess your fears went the other way and it was your Betta who strangely got bullied out. Amano shrimp are not tiny (males 1 in, females 2) so unless you get babies ADFs can't eat them. That does not mean they won't harass them and if they bothered a Betta; might try the shrimp too.

Recommend you read about Amano's because they are not an easy shrimp to keep. They are challenging to breed captive, so majority are wild sourced which means possible parasite vectors and a bigger challenge to keep alive due to capture, holding, and distributing factors. You already have a Betta and 2 frogs in planted tank, maybe should call it a done thing and enjoy as is .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

MitraC

Default Re: Will amano shrimp hurt my ADF's?

Thank you, i am new to frogs but someday want to own an african clawed frog tank. Yeah I didn't think my frogs would cause stress on my betta, but I think everyone is happy getting their own half. The two amano shrimp I mentioned are already in an extremely overstocked tank that i rescued and am trying to upgrade (10 gallon with two adult goldfish, 3 neon tetra, a pleco and 2 amano shrimp. The amano shrimp are literally never out in the open as i believe they get harassed. I probably sohuld leave well enough alone but I can never seem to. I look at my tank as being able to give a couple more creatures a good life.
    That's interesting info to know about the amano shrimp, weird that it's the only shrimp my LPS sells. If there are any parasites or sickness in the shrimp, the tank they are in would already have problems correct? I would never risk my betta's or frogs health but I can't be paranoid about everything (i want an extra ADF but Chytrid seems too risky)

Thread Information