Thread: Any hope for a bloated new froglet?

kardamom

Default Any hope for a bloated new froglet?

I posted an intro here (Brand new with a bunch of little green Gray froglets).

Most of our tadpoles (collected from a pool cover) have done quite well and climbed out of the water on their own when they were ready. A few of our tadpoles had crooked tails -- not sure how much that factored in (hard to tell for sure which was which after the tails resorbed). However, of the crooked tail tadpoles, 2 with very crooked tails stayed in the water until their tails were very short and were found bloated and drowned in the morning. Two were looking a little puffy and close to drowning when I scooped them out of the water, but appear to have recovered.

One has issues. Instead of getting better, it may be more bloated? It has been out of the water a few days now and can move, is the only one that has walked across my (gloved) hand and has jumped -- but it is so puffy. I doubt it has eaten much if anything (exclusively fruit flies being offered right now). I'm wondering if its kidneys were shot staying in the water too long, or if more was wrong than the tail?

Anything I can do for it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Any hope for a bloated new froglet?

It appears a bad gene or exposure to some kind of chemical messed with frogs development. Don't think a bacterial infection would deform the tail, so will rule that out. If kidneys, lymph hearts or liver suffered developmental problems, it could explain deaths and bloating. If such is the case, there is not much to do and help. Bloating is sometimes relieved by an Epsom Salts bath solution (rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon of dechlorinated 80F water) to frogs chin depth. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

kardamom

Default Re: Any hope for a bloated new froglet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    It appears a bad gene or exposure to some kind of chemical messed with frogs development. Don't think a bacterial infection would deform the tail, so will rule that out. If kidneys, lymph hearts or liver suffered developmental problems, it could explain deaths and bloating. If such is the case, there is not much to do and help. Bloating is sometimes relieved by an Epsom Salts bath solution (rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon of dechlorinated 80F water) to frogs chin depth. Good luck !
    Thanks.

Just in case, I have it in a separate container. I gave it a 10 min epsom soak today -- we'll see if there's any change tomorrow. It's hung in there longer than I expected.

Thread Information