Thread: White Lipped with Green Spots ! HELP !

bandrew337

Default White Lipped with Green Spots ! HELP !

Name:  0.png
Views: 188
Size:  39.4 KBI recently brought home my first frog! He is a white lipped tree frog, my concern is he has these little green spots all over his back? could this be from too much UVB? he would sit as close as he could to the bulb (almost touching the screen). I watch to make sure he isn't sitting there anymore and have consider getting rid of my hood lamp and getting a dome for it so I can place it differently ! ANY help would more then appreciated
    Last edited by bandrew337; July 30th, 2013 at 12:04 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nirotorin

Default Re: White Lipped with Green Spots ! HELP !

I'm not sure the spots are a big concern. You do have your work cut out for you getting this frog up to a healthy weight. The substrate also looks kind of dry. Hard to tell from the pic though.

bandrew337

The humidity isn't an issue, its always nice and moist in there, I have a fogger running. I did purchase him at this weight though and so far I've been told white lipped tree frogs aren't suppose to be very fat, more skinny. I still feel uneasy about him though, he wont eat in front of me, but he is eating because when I check the next morning all the crickets are gone maybe 2 are left out of 9 or 10 (small). he's active (at night) an seems to not show any health concerns. When I originally did my homework it was for a white's tree frog, which I went and purchased yesterday, and for the simple reason White lipped tree frogs like companions. I love him too much already to return him (30 day policy). Any suggestions on how I can get his weight up and maybe getting him to eat more? or at least in front of me?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Bandrew,
    First, congrats on your new frog! I love white-lipped tree frogs.
    I agree with nirotorin that this little guy is too skinny. I can tell by looking at the back of his head. Are you sure the crickets aren't hiding in the substrate? If you feed in a glass bowl, it's easy to monitor their food intake as the crickets can not escape. Search the forum for tricks on glass bowl feeding techniques.
    The spots are a concern that should be treated. It could be a bacterial infection. I would email pictures to Dr. Frye and get a prescription for Baytril or Metro (or both).
    Here is a link with info for contacting Dr. Frye (as well as other very useful info):
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html
    And another link:
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-supplies.html

And, most importantly, the white's treefrog and white lipped treefrog should be separated. Do not house different species within the same enclosure. Now with your white lipped possibly being quite sick, the white's will need to be treated as well.
    Search the forum for inter-specie enclosures and you will discover why this is not advised.

As far as getting his weight up, you can temporarily use this product:
    Flukers Repta+Boost Insectivore/Carnivore Formula
    Here's a link discussing the product:
    http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...pti-boost.html
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

6. This member thanks Bolisnide for this post:

bandrew337

Thank-You for the info Bolisnide much appreciated ! Also I've never had issues with healthy happy frogs of different species being housed together, they seem to like each other very much! which makes me very sad because if I cant get the treatment for my white lipped I will have to bring him back I've grown very fond of him so this makes me sad ... he had these spots when I bought him and was skinny, I even said something to the pet store worker about it an they snuffed it off which made me want him more because I wanted to give him a good home.. I also clean the tank once every week and do spot checks I also use a water conditioner for there water.. I keep it really clean.. hopefully that will help ? I will look into getting some of those medications as I know a local vet that has the product, my husband might just tell me to bring him back though

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by bandrew337 View Post
    Thank-You for the info Bolisnide much appreciated ! Also I've never had issues with healthy happy frogs of different species being housed together, they seem to like each other very much! which makes me very sad because if I cant get the treatment for my white lipped I will have to bring him back I've grown very fond of him so this makes me sad ... he had these spots when I bought him and was skinny, I even said something to the pet store worker about it an they snuffed it off which made me want him more because I wanted to give him a good home.. I also clean the tank once every week and do spot checks I also use a water conditioner for there water.. I keep it really clean.. hopefully that will help ? I will look into getting some of those medications as I know a local vet that has the product, my husband might just tell me to bring him back though
    You're welcome.
    IMO, you have no choice but to separate and treat *both* of the frogs. It does not matter how clean you keep the water, enclosure, etc. the frogs should not be housed together. It is never a good idea. And quite honestly, it really bothers me when folks think that treefrogs enjoy the company of others, they don't really. They see the other frog as competition for food, space, etc. I know red-eyes may be the only exception.
    The white;s treefrog is likely (definitely) infected with whatever is ailing the white lipped. Some call those spots the 'neon spots of doom,' if not treated, it is fatal
    As far as the meds, make sure the vet you go to is familiar with treating phibs, the Baytril is pretty nasty stuff and can do more harm than good if not mixed properly. That is why I like Dr. Frye soooo much, he will mix the Baytril properly for the weight/size of the frog.

It just ocurred to me that you may want to soak the white lipped in a pedialyte solution. Use your treated water and mix one part unflavored pedialyte to 10 parts water. (make sure it is not too cold, nor too warm). Soak him for about 10 mins or until the water gets cool. This will help get his appetite up to begin feeding on his own.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Also I've never had issues with healthy happy frogs of different species being housed together
    You have not had them long. You wont see the problems right away.

they seem to like each other very much!
    Frogs do not have the capability to produce emotions. There for your frogs will not miss each other. We give our frogs characteristics of a human.

which makes me very sad because if I cant get the treatment for my white lipped I will have to bring him back I've grown very fond of him so this makes me sad ... he had these spots when I bought him and was skinny, I even said something to the pet store worker about it an they snuffed it off which made me want him more because I wanted to give him a good home.. I also clean the tank once every week and do spot checks I also use a water conditioner for there water.. I keep it really clean.. hopefully that will help ? I will look into getting some of those medications as I know a local vet that has the product, my husband might just tell me to bring him back though

I 100% know where you are coming from. We are human and do get attached to things. But there is a huge responsibility when buying a sick animal. If this guy go's back to the pet store I'm sure he wont make it. This frog needs to see a vet. I'm willing to bet he has a fungal infection along with parasites being that he is wild caught. If you don't have the money to get him to a vet then I'd suggest giving him to soneone who is willing to take him in (not the pet store) or getting it put down.

bandrew337

They haven't been housed together for long, I separated them, and hoping because they haven't got close that my newest one isn't infected, unfortunately, I live in Canada, there isn't any options besides bringing the frog back, I will surely be voicing my opinion to them as I am now starting to get very angry, he is captive bred I Know that for a fact, and as far as working in a pet store and being a pet care worker all the frogs they had where housed together and did fine even over a long period of time. Not trying to say your wrong, but I've seen it first hand.. this is just my first time owning one for myself (not working with them) I've never ran into a sick one before.. which is why I didn't know what was happening, I should have listened to my gut feeling though. I will be getting all new stuff for my other one an gutting the tank and doing a full clean! Here's hoping my other one is Happy happy happy and HEALTHY !

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm curious as to how you know that it is CB?

Nationality
    [United States]

They haven't been housed together for long, I separated them, and hoping because they haven't got close that my newest one isn't infected, unfortunately, I live in Canada, there isn't any options besides bringing the frog back, I will surely be voicing my opinion to them as I am now starting to get very angry, he is captive bred I Know that for a fact, and as far as working in a pet store and being a pet care worker all the frogs they had where housed together and did fine even over a long period of time. Not trying to say your wrong, but I've seen it first hand.. this is just my first time owning one for myself (not working with them) I've never ran into a sick one before.. which is why I didn't know what was happening, I should have listened to my gut feeling though. I will be getting all new stuff for my other one an gutting the tank and doing a full clean! Here's hoping my other one is Happy happy happy and HEALTHY !
    I'm sorry, didn't see your Canadian flag , Dr. Frye can't ship meds to Canada
    Clean your tank super good. I still recommended treating the white's, even if he's not showing symptoms. But that's what I would do personally. Maybe at least get the advice of a vet?
    As far as the mixing of species, it's really kind of a known fact. Even the most experienced in the hobby do not attempt doing it. Also, just because a pet store was doing it, dies not mean it's alright. Pet stores are notorious for not knowing what the heck their doing, and the animals turn over fairly quickly before the symptoms of toxing out arise. The main concern with mixing species is that their toxins (all have them) on their skin are not good for the others, and they eventually poison each other.
    Also, in this case, the white lipped will get huge and could possibly injure the white's. They could become territorial and fight..

I too hope the frog you're deciding to keep is happy and healthy
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

bandrew337

Thank-you for all the help Bolisnide! I took the white lipped back, only because I don't have the supplies to treat him and separate them unfortunately they are going to send him to a vet an get him treated ( I also know the vet so I can check to see if there fallowing threw or not) Baytril & Metro are VERY expensive here in Canada, so I scrubbed EVERYTHING with an enzyme cleaner, new substrate and new moss, I will keep an eye on my whites an see how it go's they weren't even housed for 24hrs together, but worst case I can call a family member at the Vet and see if I can get some treatment for a better price.. I think im going to stick to having one for now... im still really heart broken about bringing my lipped back but I wanted him to live and be healthy and get treatment. i'll be calling an checking on him. So far my whites loooovveeess food AND is happy healthy and active ! She even croaked for me tonight for the first time !!!

Nationality
    [United States]

She even croaked for me tonight for the first time !!!
    Then you have a boy

bandrew337

oh okay ! do female's not normally croak then ?

Nationality
    [United States]

Females do respond calls to males and distress calls.

Thread Information